Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: No stores in Caglary had the Collectors Box Set yesterday on release day

Nice. None of the big chain stores brought in the Collectors Box Set, including Future Shop, Best Buy, Costco and most of the HMV shops.
    Let me know what you find, or don't find at your local Costco. I drove around for 2 hours yesterday evening. Couldn't even find the Blu-ray stand-alone package. I went to one of the 4 local Costco's. They didn't have even the DVD, let alone the Blu-ray or Collectors Box set. Future Shop had nothing. Best Buy and one other HMV store I checked only had the DVD. I too dropped in to a WalMart last evening. They had nothing. One of the sales rep tried to show me the Across The Universe movie. :wtf:

Do these large chain retailers not know who the Beatles are? I phone one Future Shop yesterday. The young woman put me on hold for 5 minutes while she searched the data base. Twice in the conversation she kep saying The Beatles - Magic? :wtf: No young lady. It's Magical Mystery Tour.

Sure hope the store I ordered the box set from, calls me today.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It is uncensored in one of the extras. It remains censored in the film on the BluRay.

3. That is disappointing. Well at least I have the version on VHS and one of the Ultra Rare Tracks CDs from back in the day.

4. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

arrived this morning :pineapple:

Attached Files:

5. Raf

Raf Senior Member

A frame from the new Blu-ray:

br.jpg

And a similar frame from the Anthology DVD:

dvd.jpg

The colour looks a lot better on the DVD, to me. :sigh:

6. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I'm thinking that although they used original film elements for the new restoration, those elements must have deteriorated quite a bit -- at least in terms of color saturation and balance -- since "Anthology" and the Furmanek restoration of "MMT" that was released on VHS and laserdisc in 1988.

My laserdisc of this film looks pretty fabulous. The BluRay definitely displays more detail and sounds better, but the overall picture quality -- at least to my eyes -- is worse. It looks like a faded 16mm print: The greens are blue-green. The reds have that dreaded brown/orange tint. There's a bluish haze hanging over much of the film, while the colors on the laserdisc version are vibrant and nicely balanced.

7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Wow, many thanks for the comparison. To me it looks like they turned the contrast way up for the Anthology DVD. John's pants look black instead of red. The blu-ray looks more natural (and much sharper too). Just my opinion.

8. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Mine, too. Is your book complete? Mine starts with pp 17-32, then continues with page 17 to the end. What the...???

Anybody have any idea what was supposed to be on the first 16 pages?

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Are there any extras on the Blueray not on the DVD ?

10. No. They appear to be duplicative of each other. They could have different Easter eggs, however--if they have Easter eggs.

It is weird that they did not include the original mono soundtrack. Otherwise, I think the package is pretty nice.

11. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Yeah, Anthology definately looks worse. I suspect that the close-up shots look even better on the BR although I own no other version.

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't see how anyone can say the audio mix is really "good", if there are parts missing that have been part of the movie for 45 years.

I agree with others, they should have had an audio option for the original soundtrack (like Monterey Pop Criterion Edition) and audio remix should have been more faithful, twiddled with enough only to bring up stuff that was previously hidden, not to remove what was always audible.

13. Jose Jones

I'm wondering about the "restoration". In contrast to the Help! reissue, this MMT doesn't have any bonus material discussing exactly what was done or not done. The print does look cleaned up, as far as removing dirty and streaks, but we don't know what, if anything, was done about the color balance and correcting for fading and all that, as was discussed and illustrated in detail in the Help! bonus material. The absence of such info leads me to believe that they did not want fans to compare the restoration of MMT to the 2 "big" beatle films.

14. Maidenpriest

Great, thanks for the info :cheers:

15. Jose Jones

Hey, how do you get to the fish n chips shop footage? I can't find the egg or something.

I know of 2 eggs so far--- all the way left (Missing Dining Room Scene) and all the way right (Jessie's Blues) on the main menu page.

16. direwolf-pgh

the large book looks ok.. page numbers inside the stars *check*
    smaller book included with the vinyl.. starts page 1 to page 12 > *the words to all the show songs* are not numbered > then page 13 to 23. seems to be alright.

ohh, and there's a ticket. what to do with it? perhaps you eat it

17. direwolf-pgh

ugh... the box set is missing a record. it only has one.

18. Jose Jones

I can answer my own question now, found it!

(2 more eggs are on main menu page, above the previous 2 mentioned)

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

If brighter is better than yeah...
    I think the color on the new release is not only better butt the lack of bleeding/smearing make for a much more realistic overall presentation.

BIG thanks for the caps!

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Anyone compared the stereo on the new DVD/BD (esp. the Blu) too the 09/09/09 stereo re-masters?

21. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Sir Paul?!?!
    Still trying too make it: "McCartney/Lennon" huh???

22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You're speculating. Paul probably had nothing to do with it. Too bad it doesn't have the original with Johns intro tho...

23. Maidenpriest

If thats true then I am out, i will check to see if the BBC Iplayer showing is the same :(

24. Maidenpriest

WHY OH WHY?

Wouldn't Macca have seen the finished version considering he has been in the documentary and done the commentary track, so either it was done on his instructions or done to please him and he liked it better that way, IMO there is no excuse for this revisionism and to **** on your old mates work, so I won't be buying the boxset or DVD, such a real shame :(

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

My older DVD starts the same way as the new one. Macca probably couldn't remember, I doubt he's watched it much in the last 45 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.