Magnepan LRS?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Give them a break. They're doing the best they can with a 112 year old National Sales Manager.

Twinsfan007, timind, wgallupe and 2 others like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I don't know what you guys are hearing in that first video. I didn't hear any mention of it being a full ribbon design in that. Rather it was the second video which I posted the link to that was where it was finally revealed that it was all ribbon. To add to the confusion of the first video, the Magnepan website lists the specs and construction details at the bottom of it's page exactly as the MMGi. I suspect what happened was that they just copied and edited the MMGi page to form the LSR page and overlooked updating the specifications field at the bottom. Schiit happens.
    -Bill

3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

wrong link, sorry

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Oh, I see (said the blind man). I didn't even notice that hyperlink. I am sure that Maggie will have their webpage all ironed-out shortly. Once a few get released out into the wild, we'll get more info on what the new units really are able to do.
    -Bill

5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Magnepan's website typically lags behind their technology. Thankfully it's not the other way around!

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I thought I was getting senile... :)
    -Bill

JackG likes this.
  7. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I pulled the trigger for LRS.

It will take 5-6 weeks before I get it.

I expect to run it with Lyngdorf 2170 (170w at 4 ohm) possibly with PSB subwoofer ( 2 12 inch driver and active 500w)

I had never used Magnepan but I had used Apogee Duetta Sig from 1989 to 1999.

DavidD and TerpStation like this.
  8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

5-6 weeks? The wait is getting longer. When I ordered mine not quite three weeks ago they said it was a three week back order. Monday will be three weeks, I'm curious to see if my pair will be done.

9. thomaskong

They quoted 4 week wait.

But with delivery time to WA, I am thinking of 5-6 weeks.

I am not in a hurry.

10. thomaskong

Above video appears to give good background about the sound of LRS.

I had used Apogee Duetta Signature driven by Krell KSA 150 from 1989 to 1999.

But I had never used Magnepan in my listening room although I heard them in the stores.

My impression was Magnepan has softer bass than Apogee.

Currently I am driving Lansche 4.1 speaker with plasma tweeter (99db/w spec, real efficiency around 95db/w) by either Line Magnetic 508 48Watt SET or Silbatone 8W SET.

I do not expect LRS to bump out Lansche 4.1.

But I can have fun in using dipole speaker again.

Since I have Lyngdorf 2170 which has an active crossover, I have lot of flexibility.

I will play LRS from 55 hz using Lyngdorf 2170(170watt at 4 ohm) and use PSB subsonic 10 subwoofer down from 55hz.

If LRS give some fun, then I will be happy to keep it as second speaker.

I believe LRS will give lot of people a chance to try out dipole planar speaker for the first time in their life.

I will give my opinion after listening to it for at least one week.

It will be around the end of June.

Thomas

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The new maggs were a topic of serious buzz at AXPONA this year and by all accounts are a steal, I wish I would have had the chance to hear them. My only drawback to planar speakers is that they usually need more than usual distance from the wall behind them for the best sound. You got the room, get 'em.

thomaskong likes this.
  12. Mamshi

Mamshi Member

Hi, new member here
    I'm considering dipping my toes into the world of Magnepan. It seems like the LRS are a good starting point. Since I am living in Denmark, I need to get them shipped through service that ships from US to Denmark. Does any of you know the package size and weight?

I know it's kind of a weird question, but I simply can't find a distributor in Europe that stocks them.

Allan

13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

UPS tells me my shipment is 46 pounds. But they don't have the dimensions. I can get that for you on Tuesday after my pair is delivered.

14. Mamshi

Mamshi Member

Thx. :)

15. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Don't you have a Magnepan retailer in Denmark? They should be able to delivered to you regardless if they stock LRS or not. If not, there are retailers in Sweden for Magnepan.

bever70 likes this.
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

4" x 18" x 53"

17. Chuckworld901

Chuckworld901 Active Member

How do they sound?

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Really good. Big image, very natural. Not as dynamic as other speakers, but then that's Magnepan. That's why people play them a little louder. They're an insanely good speaker for the money. Grant Mye is working on a nice pair of metal stands for them, I'll probably try a pair.

19. ishmael

ishmael Forum Resident

I think that Maggies lacking dynamics is a total my myth. I think big speakers with lotsa cones create exaggerated dynamics. Just my 2 cents.:laugh:

timind likes this.
  20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've owned Maggies off and on for forty years. I own them now. Trust me.... they are not that dynamic and they are not that good a 'low volume' speaker. Hence the need for a decent sized amp.

21. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

The small maggies need to be up on stands, perfectly upright, and toed in on axis in order to maximize their dynamics potential.

22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

No myth in my experience. There was nothing I could do to make mine dynamic. And there’s no way they could even produce a tiny fraction of the non exaggerated dynamics of the JBL’s I have now.
    Also, agreed...not good at low volumes regardless of amplifier size. At least that’s how it was in my 10 years of owning them.

ls35a and JackG like this.
  23. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

There’s a review in the new Stereophile

24. DigiHifi

DigiHifi Active Member

I just got a pair of LRSs (14+ weeks backorder). I'm pretty happy with them. Very lush, large stage, mellow, very enjoyable. But there's some congestion in the low mid range that's a little annoying. Anyone else experience this and have any tips on how to alleviate it? Thanks

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I hear good stands help. There's 'magna-risers' and some other company I can't remember, but I'm sure google would find it.

DigiHifi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.