Make A Killing: Aimee Mann, song-by song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

The title track isn't quite one of the best on the album but it is up there for me.

4.8/5

Lance LaSalle and Patanoia like this.
  2. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I'm automatically predisposed to love anything with electric piano, and this is such a great groove. The line mentioned by @janine'sdream is worth quoting in full: "But I'm the stuff / Of happy endings / Though mostly bluff / Belief suspending / But close enough / For just pretending to care." And then the directness of the last line in the chorus, "Gone, but I don't know where." 4.8/5.

3. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

High on Sunday 51

A good song with clever lyrics, really well produced and sung. I wish there was a bit more to it, a bit more variety, dynamic swings, something. But hard to fault- it’s a nice, compact short song.

4.3/5

Lost in Space

This is more of what I was looking for in the previous song - more variety. Great lyrics, meticulously produced and sung. Someone earlier in the thread noted how well she enunciated her words and I noticed that here.

This album is on the dark and somber side as everyone knows, but there are also so many beautiful moments on it.

4.9/5

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like the Wurlitzer a lot, but the title track never really takes off for me, it's a bit too polite musically. 3.7/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

High ON Sunday 51

Dark and memorable. 4/5

6. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "High On Sunday 51"

1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-6
    5-2
    Average: 3.95

BeSteVenn likes this.
  7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Lost In Space = 4/5 for me.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Lost in Space (the song)

Verses just sit there. Much more lively pre-chorus and chorus. Average bridge.

On the whole, this isn't bad, but it's not a song I ever feel compelled to revisit.

3/5.

DTK and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Lost in Space is very good with much to like. With a better mix it could have been great.

4.2/5

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I blame it on the dubly.

Lance LaSalle and BeSteVenn like this.
  11. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Dobly.

12. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

BeSteVenn likes this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I meant to contribute to this thread from early on but have gotten sidetracked with real life things. I hope my popping in here out of order isn't rude.

I was aware of Aimee Mann from Til Tuesday ("Voices Carry" and the particularly bewitching "Coming Up Close"), but Bachelor No 2 and Magnolia really sealed it for me. I went through a pretty devastating breakup not long after Bachelor came out, and I remember driving across states to try to escape myself, sobbing and screaming in the car, while listening to that album. "Wise Up" provided a soothing kind of comfort. I listened to these endlessly over a period of a few months as something to hang onto.

SeeDubs, Patanoia, Transience and 5 others like this.
  14. Lance LaSalle

"Lost In Space" is good ear candy and has a nice guitar solo, and continues the theme of addiction with some sympathy and intelligence; but somehow just doesn't make it to the heights of Aimee's best stuff for me.

4.1/5

15. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Lost In Space"

1-0
    2-0
    3-1
    4-3
    5-5
    Average: 4.3667

BeSteVenn and Michael like this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "This Is How It Goes", written by Aimee Mann and produced by Michael Lockwood; co-produced by Ryan Freeland; mixed by Michael Brauer.

Lyric.

Aimee Mann: vocals, six- and 12-string guitars, bass , tambourine
    Michael Lockwood: SK-1, VL 1 and 5, 12-string guitar, slide guitar and other electric guitars
    Jebin Bruni: Prophet 5
    Patrick Warren: Chamberlin strings and horns
    John Sands: drums
    Buddy Judge: vocals

A live version of this song was released on the Special Edition of Lost In Space, released in 2003.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is How it Goes

Now, this is the Aimee that I love. Strong song all around, and a sympathetic arrangement. I like how it starts simply and quietly and builds from there. The first of several highlights of this album. Heck, I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

5/5

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

High On Sunday 5/5

Solaris likes this.
  19. Michael

5/5

20. Michael

4.5/5

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

22. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

This is How it Goes

I tend to prefer the more low key songs on this album, and this is one of the best.

5/5

Patanoia likes this.
  23. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

One of the weaker tracks on this but still a 4.1/5 for me.

24. janine'sdream

janine'sdream Forum Resident

This is How it Goes is very very nearly a 5/5 song for me, and definitely in my top tier of Aimee Mann songs.

I adore the conversational opening - it's such a great way to pull you into a song. The opening lines really hit home - I get exactly what she's saying and it relates so well to my life. I love the forlorn 'buying/selling' metaphor as an exploration of how we try, in life, to convince others to like us/accept us/understand us/fall in love with us/help us - it runs through this album and first establishes itself in this song. And I absolutely love the way the melody unfurls and grows, until it hits the bridge and the absolutely glorious instrumental break, before falling away into the darkness again at the end. This song is an example of consummate songcraft, and is an intensely moving and cathartic experience when listened to whilst feeling low or lost.

It's not quite a 5/5 for me, simply for the line 'It's all about drugs' - because I don't believe it is - that narrows the scope unnecessarily and seems a little ugly or crass to me somehow. I'm really not sure why the drug theme is so prevalent on this album, but there are many reasons people crash and burn, and addiction can be to many things, not just drugs. Aimee usually leaves her songs more open than that. Anyway, for whatever reason, the line jars with me a little. But, nevertheless, I adore this song.

I also adore - in fact possibly slightly prefer - the live version. Maybe that's because it was when I heard this song played live on the Lost in Space tour that it clicked for me and I realised how brilliant it was. 4.9/5

Patanoia, captouch and BeSteVenn like this.
  25. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

This Is How It Goes reuses Just Like Anyone's melodies and themes much more successfully. I liked what she did with it then, and I like it even better now. I don't hear it as self-plagiarism, but instead as further development of something that was left unfinished and in need of resolution.

4.6/5