Making A Case For Revolution No. 9 ? Genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JFSebastion, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

That's valid too. I honestly don't believe that many find it to be a classic. I agree plenty of huge Beatles fans find it lame. But also feel the major fans of the band who claim it's a classic, are being disingenuous.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    speedracer likes this.
  2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

They may regard everything the Beatles did as classic. Which is fine, but not helpful for comparison.

a customer, JFSebastion and walrus like this.
  3. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I think genius is too strong a word, but putting an 8 minute piece of musique concrete on an album by the biggest pop group of the century was a great move.

4. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Would it be fair to say “evil genius” considering this haunting track gave me the creeps upon its release when I was 14 years old?

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Mesozoic Mike and A Local Bloke like this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It has a good beat and is fun to dance to with your best girl...

6. speedracer

7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Lawrence Welk did a cover version but it never made it into the Top 40. ;)

speedracer likes this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

A genius move? Maybe so. A genuis track? Nah

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let's compromise, "Rev.9"-haters:
    Perhaps, with the addition of 3 (or 4) more 'genre-hops' to "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)",that would've make a great replacement for "Rev.9"!

10. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not Lame but it is definitely polarizing. Or it appears to be in the Forum.
    Prolly no more or less than the Show Tunes and Vaudeville songs McCartney brought to the band. I think that's why they are relevant even today. Four very different guys in a band that made it very very BIG !

Past Masters likes this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

Like I said too, I can deal with it, simply because it's The Beatles/Lennon. I doubt if it were anyone else that I'd find it worthwhile at all.

12. speedracer

Anyone else take the deep dive into Rev 9 slo-mo yet? Fantastic sounds. Post #256

JFSebastion likes this.
  13. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I am a Beatles fanatic. I don't know (or care) whether "Revolution No. 9" is "genius." I just like it. I like it more , and find it far more interesting than, a number of Beatles tunes.

14. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I perceive Revolution #9 as audible abstract art, and an integral part of a wonderfully adventurous album. I can't listen to that selection exclusively though, and I doubt few folks would choose to. The BEATLES is my all time favorite album, but ironically 'The Beatles' are one of my least liked popular bands.

JFSebastion likes this.
  15. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I wouldn't call it genius either, but I never skip it. The White Album is my fave Beatles LP, and the whole everything-but-the-kitchen-sink aspect of it is what I love. I hear all the chaos of 1968 in "Revolution #9." There's a bit of the Democratic Convention in Chicago there, also Vietnam (battle of Khe Sanh, the Tet Offensive, and the My Lai Massacre), the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr, and Bobby Kennedy, even the Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia. I mean you can read anything into it.

1968 was a completely different vibe than 1967, and The White Album is no Sgt. Pepper's.

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

speedracer and JFSebastion like this.
  17. Past Masters

Past Masters Beatles Fanthologist

Cool to see it all typed out like that. Great work!

I’ve always loved it and I think it makes the WA better. It’s also perfectly placed before Good Night.

If they had made a whole album of sound collages, then okay I’d not really be that interested, but to just put one there, on such an already eclectic album plants a flag in the ground. Like “see, there’s really no limit to what you can be influenced by”. Anything goes.

I can’t imagine my precious White Album without it…

18. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Exactly! It's a totally unique experiment in psychoacoustics, and I quite enjoy it. It's interesting and mysterious, unnerving to many, pleasurably relaxing and / or exciting to some. I regard its inclusion on The BEATLES as genius!

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Genius? No but a good tape piece that fits perfectly at that point in the album. Doesn't seem that Lennon repeated that success with his other avant garde efforts though.

JFSebastion likes this.
  20. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me, it's better than Pepper. It indeed fit the turmoil of 1968. The #9 piece is a signpost of its time. Better encapsulating that year than anything short of an encyclopedia set issued in 68 and a whole lot more fun.

speedracer and Past Masters like this.
  21. speedracer

And doesn't send you to the Emergeny Room if you drop it on your foot!

Past Masters and JFSebastion like this.
  22. speedracer

In case anyone interested in Rev. 9 missed this , some incredible sounds here:

23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The mono mix is so much better. Especially without the poorly timed stereo panning moves. It’s pretty cool actually.

Natural E and Past Masters like this.
  24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

It's self indulgent crap. Worth listening to once or twice, but I skip it every time now.

25. Price.pittsburgh

It's better than Wild Honey Pie

Mesozoic Mike likes this.