Making A Case For Revolution No. 9 ? Genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JFSebastion, Sep 29, 2021.

1. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was a question mark! I was inviting opinions , conversation , not controversy or hyperbole. Is it genius? That's a question not my opinion. I think it's a great collage of sound that tells a story like a movie without the visuals. I invited opinions, nothing more

2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Well you’ve got mine now

3. JFSebastion

I said the lyrics are one aspect. I printed the lyrics because it isn't easy getting them right, mostly. I did make a few mistakes and that's with 52 years of listening. I was alluding to the other aspects, the sound collage, the ebb and flow of the piece. Reread my posts. Also I stated in the thread title :Genius with a question mark. Inviting conversation and opinions of others.

Ryan Lux, stevenson66g and speedracer like this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Ok. Feel free to respond to my post a third time.

5. JFSebastion

You're a poor reader then. Genius and question mark and stating the lyrics are just one aspect of it. I made no determination of whether it was Genius. I wasn't trying to argue a point.

stevenson66g likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It’s nuts how fast the culture moved back then, especially pop / rock music culture.

Of course, the Beatles were among the prime movers / tastemakers of that pop culture, at least for a good 5-7 years.

7. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I'll never completely understand the continued hostility towards Yoko, after 50+ years. She actually motivated him to be creative in different areas, and probably did her bit to (however unintentionally) improve what the Beatles were doing musically, by sparking his imagination. Plus, with her collaboration, John did most of his most "out there" stuff outside the Beatles -- Two Virgins, Life With The Lions, etc. ("Revolution 9" is pretty much the sole exception to this.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  8. JFSebastion

It seemed like everything was pushed forward for good or bad. Good in that the Beatles grew so much in such a short time. Bad, in that world increased its speed, hurtling to inevitable destruction.

Crimson Witch and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

Would have been interesting if they would have put the long version of You Know My Name in place of Rev 9. Would have changed the whole character of the album. Always leave em laughin!

10. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

it is called musique concrete. two examples include the elvis inspired collage 1 - blue suede shoes (1961) by james tenney and far out-a tribute to laura nyro (1969) by arne millnas.

JFSebastion and vince like this.
  11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The lyrics are pretty amazing in their own right. John at his absurdist abstract peak.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

It's unhinged hatred and I don't get it either. We can also thank Yoko for Because (inspired by her playing a Beethoven sonata) which IMO is the best song on Abbey Road. She's an amazing artist

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That sounds miserable.....

14. vince

"But, a different meaning since...COPYRIGHT!
    Oh, yes, copywrrght. Can't sing that...
    A-ya, what are we gonna do without a copyright?"

JFSebastion likes this.
  15. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I asked this question in the other Rev 9 thread, but no responses, so, I'll try again!

Anybody here happen to know the title/composer of the looped backwards solo piano classical piece found running through it?

Thanks in advance!

speedracer, Geordiepete and sekaer like this.
  16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

And he took that honor and pissed on it.

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Does it? Might be better than unhealthy obsessing over the band and not partaking in real life.

18. vince

Call me when 'real life' is a little......nicer....maybe.....

JFSebastion likes this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No obligation on my part, just don't go out.

20. vince

yes, sir.

21. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Never understood the love for Revolution #9. If almost any other group had released it, it would be forgotten today and lambasted at the time. But, because it was put out by The Beatles, it takes on some unwarrented special significance. I'd bet that Carnival of Light is equally awful and self-indulgent.

Paper Shark and a customer like this.
  22. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

"Mmm, yes.... cheeky bitch."

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Doesn't it though?

JFSebastion and vince like this.
  24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Never understood the hatred for Revolution #9. If almost any other group had released it, it would have been accepted today and loved/lambasted at the time. But, because it was put out by The Beatles, it takes on some unwarranted special significance. I'd bet that Carnival of Light is equally awful, interesting, self-indulgent, engaging, untraditional... and very overhyped.