'Making Of' DVD's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamie Tate, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I recently watched a special on VH-1 that showed Fleetwood Mac recording their recent album. I also loved other DVD's like Aerosmith's Making of Pump and the Warren Zevon disc. Are there any other DVD's out there that show someone creating an album?

I have all the Classic Album DVD's already (Pink Floyd, Elton John, Phil Collins, etc...)

Is that VH-1 Fleetwood Mac documentary on DVD? Is the Metallica video from about 10 years ago on DVD?

Thanks everyone. :)

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Mac's making of is called The Chain. It just came out.
    The Metallica "1 year and a half" came out last year.

3. bartels76

Oh yeah and Sting has a making of of his crappy latest album Sacred Love
    I just vomited in my mouth thinking about that album.

4. bartels76

There's a whole section of Ozzy making his No More Tears album on the Don't Blame comp.
    His last greatest studio album.

5. Jamie Tate

Is that the making of the "Black" album?

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Shawn, Thank you, I love Fleetwood, I will latch on to this. :righton:

7. bartels76

8. bartels76

I'm wrong. It's not out on DVD. I confused it w/ 2 other DVD's. I could've sworn there was a PBS special but maybe not. The Limited Edition Say You Will CD has some in-studio footage.

Don't get that Unbroken Chain set I told you about. It's one of those chinsy documentries not authorized by the band.

9. Jamie Tate

Thanks Shawn. :wave:

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Steely Dan - The Making Of Aja

The Band - The Making Of The Band

both :thumbsup:

11. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

It's not out yet, but the making of documentary, Destiny Rules, will be released on September 14.

12. bartels76

That's it! Thanks.

Jaime look for this...

13. bartels76

Jaime do you have the Classic albums for Judas Priest, Metallica, Deep Purple, & Def Leppard?

14. Jamie Tate

I've rented or own the whole Classic Albums series. I love the creative process even if I don't particularly care for the music.

15. Jamie Tate

Is that the right one?

Thanks Jay and Shawn and John. :wave:

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Jamie,

There's a Stevie Wonder DVD about the making of Songs In The Key Of LIfe. Some footage, but also a reunion of some of the original cats redoing some stuff in the studio for this disc.

17. Jamie Tate

Ooh, that's sound interesting. Have you seen it?

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, but not recently. If I remember the emphasis was on the reunion, but it went into some detail of the actual sessions. The reunion was pretty cool. Those cats could really play. You'll probably like watching that. I did.

My first time in a real LA studio, was Crystal while they were working on that one. My bandmate friend from college moved up from San Diego and got a job there making coffee. I went and hung out with him one night, and didn't see much action, but did met Stevie. I particularly liked the board there, which had a bunch of MAP 1731 discreet opamps in it. The studio I was working at in San Diego at the time, had an old Electrodyne with MAP's in it, but it was nothing like their wonderful sounding board.

19. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

:agree: :laugh: :laugh:

20. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Yes,that was one of the best!

21. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The Stevie one is amazing. One of the best if not the best of the series IMHO. Highly recommended. The Steely Dan one and Phil Collins are my next faves, followed by Elton John. The rest are OK, not great. The Paul Simon one infuriated me.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Stevie Wonder one is as great as everyone says. There are plenty of anecdotes about the making of the album shared, as well as the reunion stuff. Seeing the guys play is great, but other little moments like Stevie and Michael Sembello talking about how "Going back to Saginaw" evolved into "Going Back to Saturn" are gold, too.

Regards,

23. Jamie Tate

Thanks. Tower had it for $15.

They're silly and immature guys and I get tired of the hard hitting attitudes real quickly but getting to watch Bob Rock was a pleasure. He is a no **** kind of guy and that cut through all the guys' goofiness.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The first pressings of Amy Grant's "Legacy...Hymns and Faith" CD do include a Making Of... DVD.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Jamie,

I didn't' mention this before because it's not really a 'making of' dvd, but IMHO, the Motown film, 'Standing In the Shadows of Motown' is superb. It also has a very good reunion band, but mostly I fine the documentary part to be amazing. There are, unfortunately, some recreated parts to this film, and I usually skip through them, but they are brief. The soundtrack disc to this one, particularly the Deluxe Edition, is a great insight as well.

Then again, I loved the Tom Dowd film, which you apparently did not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.