'Making Of' DVD's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamie Tate, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintageonevinyl

vintageonevinyl Forum Resident

While not on DVD, I taped a (ETV?) special years ago on the "Making of Sgt Pepper". Lots of cool footage of George Martin playing with the mixes. Anyone know if it has or will be officially released?

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I really liked the Motown flick. I also liked the Dowd movie enough to buy it. I guess I was hoping for more though.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I got that off of the Disney Channel when they first showed it. I wish it would make an appearance on DVD.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Doug, I do not want to take this thread off track, but since you brought it up I am confused on the SITSOM DVD. How many versions are out there. I spoke to an A&R man at Universal and he said there woulf two versions, but I have never seen that. :confused:

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Hi ALP,

As far as I know, there is one movie disc DVD set, and two soundtrack disc sets. The movie has 2 discs, and included on the 2nd is a HD version of the film that plays on Windows Media Player. It's not full HD but is still pretty good and seems to be way beyond DVD resolution. The soundtrack CD originally was a single disc, which was basically the soundtrack plus 2 songs that are remixes of the tracking sessions with various tracks coming in and out, but mainly no vocals. These two were worth the price of the disc for me. I believe these were 'Bernadette' and 'You Keep Me Hanging On'

Well after a while they issued a new 'Special Edition' of the soundtrack disc. This was now a 2 disc CD set and the 2nd disc was chock full of the studio tracking versions of Motown hits in addition to the two mentioned above. Reluctantly, I plunked down my cash and now have all three, but I'm totally happy with the purchases. In hind sight, I wished now that I skipped the first CD, but for a while it was the only soundtrack out there. Everything that is on it is on the deluxe edition.

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Doug, Thanks for the input, I loved the movie and got to see the Funk Brothers in concert in NYC.

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's my favorite out all the Classic Albums series DVDs'. I love the segment where Stevie's trying to get the ARP synthesizer to work and it wont. :D The Steely Dan and Pink Floyd ones are great too.

8. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Also not on DVD,there was,in the early 80's,a series on Showtime called Goin' Platinum.I have the episode with the Beach Boys recording Keeping The Summer Alive.
    There were other episodes,but that's the one I remember/have.
    Also,circa '73,there was FLIPSIDE,produced by Bill Acoin.There's episodes with Raspberries,Stevie Wonder,Dr.Hook,Edgar Winter & Yoko Ono.(John's there too,but he doesn't play.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.