Mamas & Papas Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon) rare lost 45 hit mix. Beautiful

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

Wow, the original mono hit mix. I've actually never heard this before (even though I have the 45). I usually play either of the two stereo versions. This is so different, really a lovely mix. Sad it no longer exists in tape form. What a great reissue a mono MAMAS & PAPAS disk would be of their hits..

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

LOVE this song!!! -E

Rickchick and angelo73 like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

Another great mono mix: LOOK THROUGH MY WINDOW..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

I love this song so much. Curious what you like better about the mono mix on this? Mine sounds muddy to me. Maybe I need to find another copy.
    My 45 of Look Through My Window,on the other hand, sounds just great

WMTC likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

AlmanacZinger, agundy, jazon and 10 others like this.
  6. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

I like how the strings on the Twelve Thirty 45 don't completely engulf the track like they seem to on the stereo mix. And being in the background their presence is more spectral, almost like a mellotron.

Great punchy bass, drums, percussion and keyboards throughout.

Steve - if someone did a really meticulous needle-drop (sound wise) of tracks like this for release, would you approve? Would you yourself ever consider such a task?

7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Lewisboogie and Hep Alien like this.
  8. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I too, like the 12:30 mono mix. The warmth of the strings blends better with the voices.

Irks me to no end that such a low percentage of the population has experienced the true....wonderful...mono version of "Words of Love" with its full brass section....the way it was played on the radio while charting.

Note to Lou....Bones said he doesn't know who zapped the idea.

9. segue

segue Forum Resident

The similarities of "Twelve Thirty" and The Sunshine Company's "Back on the Street Again" are interesting. "Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon)" is one the M+P's best songs. I love the mono mix. I'm guessing many of the same musicians on both recordings. Beautiful arrangements and production.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  10. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Forum Resident

Thanks for this! My late mother, at the end of her life, told me about the friendship she had with Cass Elliot. They met in the early 60's in NYC and kept in touch until Elliot's untimely death. I grew up listening to these 45's. According to my mom, some of them were gifts from Elliot herself!

11. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I love this song, and it's the main reason that I went shopping with my parents (@13?) when they said I could get an album. I went home with Farewell to the First Golden Era. My original was in stereo, but the copy I have now, and love, is the mono.

12. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

So good! After hearing “Twelve Thirty” come up during Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, I hoped it was cleared for the soundtrack. When that didn’t happen, I wondered if there might be a new compilation or reissue on the horizon, but it doesn’t appear that way...

kmanfan5b, Lewisboogie and Mylene like this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical Omnivore

I have a 2CD set titled All The Leaves Are Brown: the Golden Era Collection, which is basically the first four albums in stereo plus three mono single mixes as bonuses: I Saw Her Again, Words Of Love, and Creeque Alley (which is very different to the stereo). Also non-LP single Glad To Be Unhappy. Have never needed anything more (other than The Mugwumps, the various solo albums, and the 'People Like Us' reunion, even if it is their weakest).

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical Omnivore

Cool story, thanks for adding this! Before The Mamas & Papas and before The Mugwumps, Cass in the early '60s was in The Big Three group. I grew up with a 45 of their Winken, Blinken And Nod and maybe that's why I have always loved Cass's voice. Nursery-psyche! :cool:

I also grew up with the single for Back On The Street Again (Imperial).

15. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

How similar are the mono LP mixes of those songs to the mono 45s? I've got the first three albums in mono.

seed_drill and angelo73 like this.
  16. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

From Discogs: "All tracks are featured in their original mono single mixes, except 2-17, 2-18, 2-20, 2-25 & 2-26, which are the original stereo single mixes."

17. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Martin67, lukpac, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I’m so glad that Real Gone Music did a regular black vinyl re-pressing of the 2016 RSD 50th Anniversary collection!

Martin67 and kanno1ae like this.
  19. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for showing this Steve. Like others, Twelve Thirty is my favourite Mamas and Papas song. This truly brings forward the vocals. To me, it sounds more like a vocal group singing with backup musicians. I think the stereo has the music more prominent and almost equal.

I was a child in the 60s and listening to this version of Look Through My Window gave me a flash of the time again. My 4 year old self must have heard the mono version first! :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  20. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

supermd and kanno1ae like this.
  21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I had a lot of Mamas and Papas cd's and eventually I bought the Complete Singles 50th Anniversary set mentioned here. It completely blew me away. I would very strongly recommend it. My only problem with it is that it doesn't have No Salt On Her Tail, a b-side here in the UK and one of my favourites by them.
    The overall sound of the mono 45's is much stronger than the stereo and I kept noticing little and big differences from what I was used to.
    If I could only keep one cd by the Mamas and Papas I'd keep this one (and the 45 of Salt On Her Tail !). It sounds incredibly good, especially considering the "great Dunhill tape destruction horror".

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If it was on the soundtrack it'd be played on an AM radio ( and sound like it) so it'd be better to look elsewhere.

23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ CMO (Chief Musical Officer)

I just picked up an original mono of Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage....

It needed some deep cleaning before I'd play it, but it's a lovely mix compared to the brighter, harsher stereo mix. Like the strings in this 7", the ones on the mono S&G album are mellower. And also surprising, the bass is more firmly rooted. I paid $5, and it looked fairly bad, with mold and scratches. But it had a lot of original sheen. Using an enzymatic cleaner, it cleaned up pretty well.

stushea, Hep Alien and AppleCorp3 like this.
  24. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Love this era.... My trip to Monterey 50 was melancholy at times knowing that they would not be there but I was pleased to see Michelle make a cameo..

Mister Charlie and Christopher B like this.
  25. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I picked this up on CD and The Green Vinyl - the Green Vinyl is pretty much noise free after a clean.

In hindsight I would have kept the green vinyl sealed as a collectors item and also bought the black....

Martin67 likes this.