Mansun: Attack of the Grey Lantern (Deluxe w/5.1 mix), June 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sammy Waslow, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Where was the vinyl cut?

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No reviews of this apart from one CD review? Did we start a thread so we could just say we’re ordering it? :)

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Per DHL the purple vinyl should be arriving tomorrow. I will post my thoughts here, but the only thing I have to compare it to is the 1997 cd.

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Enjoyed the BBC sessions disc.
    Have not had a chance to listen to the DVD but it's had mixed reviews on the QQ forum, at least the 5.1 mix has . No mention of the hi rez stereo which appears on the DVD.

5. GregE240

GregE240 Well-Known Member

Listened to excerpts of the 5.1 this morning. Left me a bit unexcited, really. The rears aren't really used for much, at least, not in what I listened to (Chad, Lovesong, Taxloss). Perhaps I've been spoiled by Mr Wilsons excellent skills in this arena, but I'm afraid it was a bit average. Another listen beckons, I think.

6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The purple vinyl is a nice pressing, not too hot and crankable enough to get the dynamics. I didn't notice anything that stood out against the original, except maybe a bit more clarity at the top and bottom end. Sadly, Mrs. Pretzel has Mansun very high on her list of most-hated bands, so it's rare that I can play it without complaint.

Krzych likes this.
  7. marblesmike

Ha, most-hated? Why?

My purple vinyl came late yesterday, but I haven't played it due to Ms Soon-to-be-Marbles had a migraine and we have a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. But today I'll listen to it.

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

For those interested in dynamic range stats, it's disappointing that despite some hopeful posts on Facebook asking for a flat transfer or at least to have a version of the album not as hot as the original, it appears to be a very similar level...

Original '97 CD
    DR8 -0.07 dB -11.55 dB 5:03 01-The Chad Who Loved Me
    DR8 -0.07 dB -10.76 dB 5:55 02-Mansun's Only Love Song
    DR8 -0.07 dB -10.28 dB 7:02 03-Taxloss
    DR8 -0.07 dB -13.48 dB 3:06 04-You, Who Do You Hate?
    DR8 -0.07 dB -9.95 dB 4:31 05-Wide Open Space
    DR7 -0.07 dB -8.72 dB 4:05 06-Stripper Vicar
    DR9 -0.07 dB -11.32 dB 5:08 07-Disgusting
    DR8 -0.07 dB -9.55 dB 3:55 08-She Makes My Nose Bleed
    DR8 -0.07 dB -9.27 dB 4:40 09-Naked Twister
    DR8 -0.07 dB -9.88 dB 4:11 10-Egg Shaped Fred
    DR9 -0.07 dB -12.14 dB 8:37 11-Dark Mavis
    DR9 -0.07 dB -10.60 dB 4:04 12-An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR8

2018 remaster
    DR8 -0.01 dB -10.18 dB 5:03 01-The Chad Who Loved Me
    DR7 -0.01 dB -9.38 dB 5:55 02-Mansun's Only Love Song
    DR7 -0.01 dB -9.01 dB 7:02 03-Taxloss
    DR7 -0.01 dB -12.38 dB 3:06 04-You, Who Do You Hate?
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.72 dB 4:31 05-Wide Open Space
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.48 dB 4:06 06-Stripper Vicar
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.95 dB 5:08 07-Disgusting
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.24 dB 3:55 08-She Makes My Nose Bleed
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.44 dB 4:40 09-Naked Twister
    DR7 -0.01 dB -8.44 dB 4:11 10-Egg Shaped Fred
    DR8 -0.01 dB -10.29 dB 14:41 11-Dark Mavis/An Open Letter to the Lyrical Trainspotter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR7

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Paul Draper’s voice. Which makes it impossible to argue the case for their obvious excellence.

Same for many other bands I love, alas…

10. marblesmike

I think his voice is unique but he has (had) amazing range. He's like Scott Weiland in that he can sound completely different at different times.

I listened to the purple vinyl yesterday. Pressing is mostly great minus a couple repeating clicks between MOLS and Taxloss, but nothing bad enough that I'll return it. As for the sound, definitely crankable but not audiophile. Better than the CD though! I'll have to listen more though!

Krzych and sound chaser like this.
  11. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Hmmm, Taxloss and Wide Open Space are my two co-favorites . The video premise for Taxloss was a brilliant one-off stunt as well .

marblesmike likes this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Your name reminds me that I've instituted a "no Steely Dan rule" in the house. :laugh:

Dolemite likes this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Any more reviews on the vinyl?

14. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Well I’ve heard the stereo CD remaster (sorry not the 5.1) a couple of times now, and the original again. To my ears it’s a strange remaster - ‘loudness’ wise it seems the same, as I said in my last post that is a bit of a disappointment really, as the production seems pretty good. There is a bit more clarity and welcome bump in the bass and drums, but other elements seem at the same time a bit more brash and distorted, and harder on the ears at volume. The combo of my Dacmagic plus (with old Cambridge CD player as a transport) and my dyaudio speakers does deliver and upfront and analytical sound generally which may not ‘help’ this remaster. The original disc is marginally ‘warmer’ and less brash, with less clarity in some of the more subtle layers.
    So a bit disappointed - maybe less so with a dream upgrade (for my budget at least) to Tannoy xt6f speakers...
    Or a record deck of course! Mildly concerned about the Six remaster.

15. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Ugh, the stuff I miss out on if I don't get on here enough (could we get a sub-forum of music after 1980, so Beatles, Stone, Led etc. won't dominate).
    I love Mansun. One of the only bands that hold up from the brit-pop time, even thought they remind of Japan from their first LP. I'm gonna to have to track this down

I sweating the thought of a Six reissue.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  16. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

I understand exactly what you are saying here. It's like the faults and ridiculousness of Six make it more loveable as it feels more human and vulnerable. The whole heart on sleeve ridiculousness of it has a real endearing quality to it.

And as much as I do like Radiohead, I can feel they leave me cold at times as well, and you have probably encapsulated the reason why.

17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

He’s released a full live version of Attack of the grey lantern.
    Live at the ritz it’s called

18. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

anymore reviews of the vinyl, and how it compares to the original, would be appreciated

19. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

just got the remastered lp. i dont have a first press lp to compare, but compared to my first pressing cd, it is night and day. the separation and the "breathing air" in the remastered lp, is astonishing. i am bound to get the six remastered lp now

Silverwolf, Gavaxeman and marblesmike like this.
  20. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Spent some time with CD remaster. It is more engaging with its clarity boost. The bass underpins it all well in a way I’ve not noticed before. But it’s still too loud! When there’s a lot of layers of music, it’s a bit intense when loud - and this is well layered album in many places.
    I don’t know it’s DR rating, but I reckon a few numbers higher would have been amazing - wish I had a record deck and this on LP.
    That said im glad I got the box set. The remaster is a little bit better - the real bonus though is the Dead Flowers Reject disc. It’s bloody brilliant..

Spaceboy, Andr3w D and marblesmike like this.
  21. Andr3w D

Andr3w D Well-Known Member

Rekindling this thread... I got the purple AotGL and green Six (as well as the CD/DVD special editions and the Draper solo LPs), in time for the Paul Draper #TimsTwitterListeningParty and super pleased. Had the UK CD of Attack and US of Six which were always on my playlist. The vinyl editions sound amazing to me - and with some of the layers feeling a little muddled it benefits when I roll in some warmer 1959 GE5751s. To think a little co like Kscope can bang out decent pressings yet I get pops and clicks on practically everything else. And Yes, Dead Reject is brill

22. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

A vinyl edition of Dead Flowers Reject is in the works for the upcoming Record Store Day events.

At this point, is anyone really excited about a Little Kix or Kleptomania reissue? Can’t say it’s really anything I’d pay money for, personally.

23. Andr3w D

Andr3w D Well-Known Member

I think I would get them. I don't have either - just stream them today. Hope to get my hands on a DFR vinyl on RSD. It's not coming to the US so will have to get one from secondary market

24. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

There's definitely a Little Kix box coming, but not till next year. First up is a Mansun live box, then Draper's new solo album. He has a deal with kscope to get all Mansun's back catalogue 'back out there'. So there will be plenty to pick and choose from I guess.

DrBeatle likes this.
  25. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

If it's any consolation, Stripper Vicar, Wide Open Space and Taxloss are more dynamic on their respective single releases (all around DR9).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.