Marantz 2245/2270 - Warm Sound???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundgarden, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Forum Resident Thread Starter

I keep reading a) that the Marantz 2245 and 2270 have a warm sound, similar to cap-coupled Marantz models from the early seventies, and b) that the 2245 and 2270 are NOT themselves cap coupled.

Is this true? If so, why do these units have a warmer sound than most of the direct coupled models from the late seventies?

2. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

I have a small collection of ss vintage receivers (Marantz/Pioneer/Sansui), amongst them a 2270. I'd agree, I think it has slightly warmer sound than the others but I like them all.

It's true.
    Why? Who knows? Maybe the circuit design, negative feedback (and how much to implant to achieve impressive specs).

Soundgarden likes this.
  3. Soundgarden

What's interesting is that production of the 2245 and 2270 receivers started in '71. All other 2xxx Marantz receivers that were produced starting in '71 -- or '72 for that matter -- appear to be cap coupled. Those produced begining in '74 or later all seem to be direct coupled. So why were the 2245 and 2270 direct coupled when the others weren't?

One reason I'm curious is that all the cap coupled models are lower wattage. Those are known for their warmth. The 2245 and 2270 are more powerful, not cap-coupled, but also known for their warmth. The rest of the direct coupled units tend to be characterized as having a brighter more "accurate" sound.

4. Soundgarden

BTW, I recognize this is a bit of a rabbit hole... I'm just hoping some knowledgeable folks will humor me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.