Marantz 6300 cartridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ahmet Ergin, Apr 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmet Ergin

Ahmet Ergin New Member Thread Starter

Hello, I am a new user of the forum. I bougt a nice marantz 6300 and waiting for marantz 2230 amfi. Nowadays, I am looking for cartridge. I know that a lower weight cartridge is better choice for marantz 6300. I really like to listen enstrumantal music... ı love to hear all the enstrumant s voice clear, bass is not imporatant for me. May you recommend me a cartridge? I found shure v-15 type iii with vn35 stylus. Is it a good choice? Thanks for everything

2. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Back in the day when the 6300 was new many used a Stanton 681EEE.

Another cartridge used on the 6300 was a Denon DL110

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That Shure would be an excellent choice. I run one on my Dual 1019 and a IV on my 6100.

Ahmet Ergin likes this.
  4. Ahmet Ergin

Ahmet Ergin New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for your swift response. May dL 110 work perfect without any preamp? May I use it effectly with marantz 2230 amp ?

5. waaguirr

waaguirr Forum Resident

Sorry to threadjack here, but this is a timely post.

Can you all suggest carts for the 6100 and 6200 as well while you’re helping with suggestions for the 6300?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Budget?

Tonearm effective mass?

Capacitance of your phono preamp?

7. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Should work fine.

For what it's worth. Just going from memory comparing the Stanton 681EEE to the Denon DL 110, the 681EEE had a fuller midrange and a deeper bottom end. The brush can be removed....

Found this doing a Google search.
    Opinions/Info on Stanton 681EEE

Edit:
    I removed the brush and didn't have any tracking issues. I still use the 681EEE on my 6300.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Guitarded likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Those Marantz tonearms are pretty heavy, especially with the stock headshell, I think well above 20 grams, so if that is the case, you would want a low compliance cartridge. They have kind of reputation for sluggish performance unless somewhat careful with cartridge choice, likely because people had a tendency to use high compliance cartridges and had uncontrolled low frequency tonearm resonance problems, but not completely unique to this table.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

10. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    patient_ot likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Stanton 680/681/Pickering XV-15 is a classic cartridge, and you can find a ton written about it online. Traditionally, many of the original styli were high compliance and required lower VTF, not a good match with a heavier tonearm. If you buy an aftermarket stylus from Jico, or get a heavier tracking DJ OEM stylus, you can use the cartridge on a heavier arm with no resonance problems. I use a Jico Shibata on mine and measured the tonearm resonance at 10hz, which is pretty close to ideal.

12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For that model you need a cart that is not a high compliance cart. As a general shorthand, "high compliance" means having a recommended tracking force of 1 to 1.5 grams or even lower. Carts like that will not be suitable for the 6100/6200/6300. The Shure V15 Type III with original or a good replacement stylus will not be suitable.

Carts with a tracking force of 2 grams or more would be better suited. 2.5 grams or higher would be better. There are many and the other comments have recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
    waaguirr and patient_ot like this.
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

They run great on a 6100. Setup just fine.
    I run them at max rec. VTF (or a hair over) for the Jico Replacement Styli (1.5g-1.65 I think) depending on what sounds best.
    But they track perfectly and sound great.
    Not that they are really an affordable alternative these days.

I should also note that I think these decks prefer something that tracks at 1.75+.
    But, you can get a pretty wide variety of carts to sound great provided you don't mind playing around a bit.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I had a 6300 at work for a while. I was happy with the sound, but it was kind of sketchy in the speed accuracy department, which I've read is a common problem. (Some days it locked in at speed with no problems; others, it would take several attempts, wiggles, jostles, etc. to get it to behave.) IIRC, some vintage of V15 was installed, and it sounded nice.

15. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 6300 and run it with a Denon DL110 HOMC (high output moving coil) cartridge. It sounds great!

The DL-110 is compatible not only in tonearm compliance, but also @ the 47k output with most Marantz 22xx-23xx receivers of that era. However, I currently run my 6300 through a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS, and the sound is night and day better. Those 12ax7 tubes on the outputs make all the difference.

I also like the AT12xe moving magnet cartridge on the 6300, but the DL-110 is still my personal favorite.

16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I'm glad the V15 worked for you...

I would not recommend for the op to be right on the edge of trouble about this. Get a cart that tracks at 2+ grams for this tt.

Guitarded likes this.
  17. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

@JohnO

What cartridge/s would you recommend for the 6300?

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I owned a 6200 for a while, so my comments here apply to the 6100/6200/6300.

That is a tough question. I believe you need a cart that tracks from 2g to 2.5g. Depending on your budget, if you want something new, at $50-$60 the AT95E is the one to get, I recommend it at that price. It will do its best tracking at 2g. (This does not apply to the newer VM95 type, I have no opinion for that one so far.)
    At around $200 new there are some choices, but I have no direct experience with any that track at 2g so I cannot give a recommendation.

19. Dougie Jones

Dougie Jones Member

Hello,

First time poster. I have a marantz 6200 and used to run a QLM 32 MKIII (I purchased this cart new). I think tracking force was rated for 1.5 to 3 grams. The sound was always full but most music I would put on would fall apart. This was especially noticable with vocal and jazz. Any heavy piano or vocals like Norah Jones would cause certain pitches to fall apart and get staticy.

I recently swapped cartridge with my cartridge from my Technics sl-23 that's a AT13ea. That cart tracks at .75-1.75grams.

I noticed the difference instantly. I have yet to find an album that the cartridge can't handle. Oddly enough the stylus on the AT13ea is a $14 that cartridge that I'm sure isn't the original. I ordered it just to make sure the turntable/cartridge would work when I first got it.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to the original styli.

Back to the original question ...

I WOULD NOT recommend the QLM32 MKIII.

The AT13ea however, yes. I think this cart sounds great.

20. jcat8s

jcat8s New Member

Does anyone have a pic showing how to adjust the stylus landing point on my Marantz 6200...i have seen the manual, but i cant make it out at all...Thanks much

21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Good though on the Shure, but save some money and seek out a M91. They sound about as good and it is much easier and cheaper to find good styli for. I had on on a 6300 for 10 years in my den and it worked very nicely. Try to have an original headshell or one similar. Also, upgrade the cartridge leads!
    I also had an Empire 2000 in it for few years too. It worked very well too and sounded just as good, but in a different way. A friend of mine finally talked me into selling him the whole setup. That was about 12 years ago and he still uses it.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  22. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

Years ago I worked on a 6100. When finished I checked it out with a V15 III ( knowing that the arm is too heavy ). What I was surprised at was how dark sounding the 6100 was ( compared to my Technics 1700 ). So maybe a cart on the bright side of sound would be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.