Marantz 8260 SACD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Any thoughts on this unit? Seems to have a good rep at Audio Asylum but I haven't heard any formal reviews. I like that it's a single disc unit for under
    a grand.

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

As with ALL multi-channel SACD players, the 8260 has bass management issues. If you're interested in MC, it might be advisable to wait another year or so when it is assumed that there will be some standardization on bass management.

Aside from that, the 8260 (street price around $700), uses many of the the parts found in Marantz's more expensive players, and should easily surpass the sound quality of Sony's units selling for much less.

3. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Sgb,
    Any Idea where I can pick one up for about $700? Any online sources?
    Thanks!

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Do a search in the AA Hi-Rez hiway & you should be able to find something about this. Seems to me several posters mentioned getting them for about $700 (or less).

Again, if MC is your bag, the current crop of players from any of the companies making them might not do bass management very well (one of the many reasons to eschew multi-channel, I think), so you might want to check out some of the newer players (from Yamaha for example) that are just now coming out.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

$700 is a great price for the '8260 when you consider it retails for $1000 and is a single-disc player from Marantz. I too have been intrigued by this player. I have a Sony '777ES (not 'XA777ES) and 'C555ES and am curious as to how the '8260 would compare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.