Marantz HD-DAC1 vs. other DACS?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kitt1987, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

Out of interest, what were they? Some years ago I tried a few different DACs, chord, Audiolab, NAD built in, and I kept coming back to the cambridge dacmagic plus; but I recall the headphone amp was pretty average, which is critical this time round.

2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I was looking for a portable one. So not that fair.
    Dragonfly cobalt , Chord mojo and RME ADA 2.

Marantz blew em all away.

Gary_Stewart likes this.
  3. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I'm surprised by the Mojo, whilst not the same device by any means but I recall the first time listening to a QBD76 (I think that was it's name) and being mightily impressed, but then it was £3k.

I'm on the hnt for some phones now to add to my collection, as good as the AKG 550 are I think the Maranatz could works well with better, am thinking of Grado. I like the cheapers ones, and owned a pair of SR80s for some years until one failed, and the 325 have appealed for some time

4. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I've set it up and been playing some Tidal and Amazon HD tracks through it already, though there is a problem with Tidal's servers so everyone is losing their s**t over not being able to access playlists etc, but I already had one loaded. Straight away I can confirm that Amazon HD music is a waste of money, it streams at whatever the native output shared rate is, despite switching the exclusive use toggle on. A second thing I learnt is that Tidal masters are not 96 k, it's streaming at 88.1, not that I think that is important, just an observation. The Marantz is a fine looking thing, and damn heavy too. Initial thoughts using my AKG 550 Mk3 is that the slight channel imbalance has gone, the soundstage has opened up, the muddiness in the bass has gone, less overblown, and the treble is more airy; so everything I expected. I've just bought some Grado SR325e which should be with me tomorrow (I've owned 80i before and loved them until they broke about 3 years ago), which should match the Marantz perfectly.
    I should add that there is no audible hum with my unit, it's silent between tracks on any gain setting, though I've settled on low for now. There is some gentle relay clicking going on, but nothing intrusive by any means. I'm impressed so far, it's a big step up from the little dacmagic XS dac as I expected, as good as that is.

vegafleet and Tone? like this.
  5. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

What's the logic in the different amp gain settings? Is there any changes in the output in the different settings with the same output load / phones?

6. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I love my Marantz and almost exclusively use it for the 300 ohm Senn 650 and 6xx. When switching between the 3 gain settings all I notice is a slightly higher volume but no change in the quality of the sound. I dont know how that is any different from just raising the volume with the knob. Does the amp switch to a different amplification circuit with every gain setting change? I dont know, doesnt sound like it. So I always leave it on the low gain setting, as I think I hear some distortion at the high gain setting, but that could be my unconsious bias.

7. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I'm looking to add to my phones collection. I've been using it with AKG550 and Grado 325e. I used to own a pair of DT880 250 ohm, but I was always a bit underwhelmed with them dynamically, but the extra drive from the Marantz might work maybe...wish I'd not sold them!

8. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

whereas my bias hears more detail on the mid setting. It's in truth no more than an impedance matching option...?

9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Wish we knew. Short of opening it up......

10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I want to call Marantz and ask them about the gain settings and impedance.

vegafleet likes this.
  11. Erpers

Erpers New Member

Hello all. Just signed up here.
    I purchased the HD-DAC1 around six months ago.
    I bought it to replace a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. That was a nightmare. Dropping out of MQA all the time while using Tidal. Made for a terrible experience.
    Back then I had a surround set up, a Denon AVR receiver, so I just used the Marantz as a DAC.
    Now, having downsized to two channel, I use the HD-DAC1 as the pre amp for my Musical Fidelity A3.2cr power amp.
    I have no analogue sources, so I find the Marantz fantastic to connect my PC via USB, Cable box and Panasonic Blu-Ray player via optical and a Pioneer PD-S703 CD player via coax.
    Four digital sources into the Marantz then out to the A3.2cr over the variable output, powering a pair of PMC GB1 speakers. It sounds excellent.

But I really want to invest in a pair of headphones. I can't go crazy. Happy to spend the right amount to get something that does this HD-DAC1 justice.
    What price range should I be looking at as a match for this piece of kit?
    Looking at Grado 325e, Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro or Amiron.
    What level of headphones would suit this dac?

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

12. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I can tell you that the Grado 325e work well with the Marantz, but that assumes you like the Grado high speed detailed lean delivery! Some find the Grado prestige range a bit bright, but I don't with the marantz (but then I've got 55yr old ears). I add a bit of low bass lift on the DSP when using MusicBee player, and just live with it when streaming via Tidal. I've also got a pair of AKG K550 Mk3 which i find too dark, and the bass a bit too ill defined, even if it punchy. I would have though Beyer would be a good choice too (I used to own some DT880) , but personally would go with either the 250 or 600 ohm versions.

13. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I've just ordered some Grado Hemp, I'll keep you posted.....

14. Erpers

Erpers New Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.

15. scarlett 1

scarlett 1 New Member

We all have ears but we don't actually hear with them. They're just pickups - mics, if you like - and our brains all process the sound picked up by our ears slightly differently from each other. Many of us have significant differences in frequency sensitivity from each other, sometimes caused by differences in nerve sensitivity in our ears, or frequency range reduction due to age or damage. Some of us have very sensitive hearing because we've got better genetics in that area or because we've taken greater care over the years to protect our hearing.

There are many other important differences in how one person hears recorded or live music compared to another. That's why even though I don't like some DACs, other people love them, and vice versa. There's nothing I could or should say about those differences. That's simply how it is.

Auditions will tell the tale for you.

For what it's worth, I like the Schiit Gungnir and the Schiit Yggdrasil DACs quite a lot. The Gungnir is definitely a sideways move. The Yggdrasil, on the other hand, is one of the best multibit DACs you can buy. More money too.

Basically, I'm suggesting that unless you take a big step up in price from the wonderful Marantz HD DAC1 or the RME ADI2 FS, you'll just be shuffling sideways left and right. One DAC might have a sweeter midrange that really nails things down for you, one might have a much better bass definition. But that's the thing with DACs - it's not quite so much the chipset as the DAC designer's analog output stage that matters most.

Only auditions can tell the tale for you personally (which is the only opinion that matters then).[/QUOTE]

Dear Agitater,
    thank you for all your posts.
    I agree with you 100 %, except that I dont think that auditions will be much help. Unless the audition is in ones home in resident system.
    Few years ago I sell some RME Dac that in auditions give exellance, but it had interesting ability that besides that it didn't gave pleasure from music, just correct, excellent reproduction of audio materials. But such DAC is very good choice for someone who is for example making music and wants to hear recorded materials with high fidelity.
    At the end, after all dacs I tried, one that I kept is 150 dollars focusrite scarlett 2i2. Try this if you havent allready, but 1st generation, and with driver 2.5.1. (in time they became more commercial and less to just enjoy the music).
    Thanks again.

timind likes this.
  16. Joker5

Joker5 Member

Dear Agitater,
    thank you for all your posts.
    I agree with you 100 %, except that I dont think that auditions will be much help. Unless the audition is in ones home in resident system.
    Few years ago I sell some RME Dac that in auditions give exellance, but it had interesting ability that besides that it didn't gave pleasure from music, just correct, excellent reproduction of audio materials. But such DAC is very good choice for someone who is for example making music and wants to hear recorded materials with high fidelity.
    At the end, after all dacs I tried, one that I kept is 150 dollars focusrite scarlett 2i2. Try this if you havent allready, but 1st generation, and with driver 2.5.1. (in time they became more commercial and less to just enjoy the music).
    Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

That's true Scarlett. I bought Naim DAC V1 on others suggestion and compare it with my Marantz HD DAC1 and Marantz sounds better to my ears. More relaxed presentation, could listen to it for hours, just enjoyable sound. Than I finished up buying Marantz SA8005 for my another set up.
    So I hardly recommend Marantz with Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC Chip!

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Hardly or heartily?

18. Joker5

Joker5 Member

Highly! :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    vegafleet likes this.
  19. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

I've had the Grado Hemps for a couple of weeks now, and they are very different from 325e, almost the polar opposite extremes in Grado's line up. The 325e are all biased towards a lean bass / lifted treble so sound massively "fast". The hemps are best described as Gradp's for people who don't like Grado! The have a much fuller bass, and a much more subdued tope end, though it's more detailed and has greater extension. The hemps are a noticeable upgrade in terms of detail retrieval from 325e, some might find them a little bit too subdued in the treble though, but if you have a media player with EQ that's easy to fix. You could consider something like the RS2e or even the GH2 / GH4 as somewhere between the two extremes. FWIW, I struggled a bit with the tonal balance of the 325e so I have modded the pads by adding tape around the periphery and fitting some Geekria cup pads too. It's lifted the bass noticeably, and tamed the treble a little bit. The Hemps I'm using with stock p[ads, though a few users have found that the Geekria "L" pad works very well at shifting them closer to that signature Grado lean / bright balance.

20. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

Is anyone using the Marantz with Audirvana? What setting have you settled on? I'm trialling it at the moment, and I'm not hearing any real benefit over streaming Tidal and MusicBee direct.

21. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i have the NAD D1050 which uses the same CS 4398 dac chip. have not heard anything that compares to it recently and this is over 7 years old now! i put it up against the Mytek Liberty 1 last week and it just walked all over the ESS 9018. Cirrus Logic has a legend on its hands. would like to upgrade from the older NAD. i think the same chip with a newer implemation would result in an improvement. have not heard the lattest Cirrus chips so not sure how they are of if they are evolving? btw the new Buchardt active speakers use the CS4398

22. Joker5

Joker5 Member

Hi, I'm using. Sounds great.

23. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

What settings do you use that have made an improvement?

24. Bernard23

Bernard23 Active Member

Also interested to hear any comparisons between the Marantz and the RME ADI-2 DAC, which by many accounts is the only integrated DAC/HA you'd ever need.

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

So just a quick update. I finally broke down and purchased an HDMI Audio Extractor which allows me to feed my DAC a Coax signal instead of USB. This has finally solved my relay clicking sound issue but has capped my output to 24/96, oh well.

vegafleet and guestuser like this.