Marantz KI Ruby Series v PM/SA 14 S1SE Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hawkeye20, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been a long time Marantz fan for their euphonic musical sound

Has anyone been able to listen to both of these premium products ? Any opinions on which is best and why ?

2. Winsome

Winsome Well-Known Member

I acquire the ruby set both the sacd player and the integrated amp for my kef ls50. Believe it or not it just blew me away. The tonal balance, the imaging and soundstage are something to die for, and I never thought the ls50 can generate so so much low end. I removed the 8 " sub from the system so you can imagine. I absolutely love the system. In fact I order the Q acoustics 500 in search of better low end for my set up in the living room, if I realize there is such drastic improvement I would delay the purchase of the Q. I was using the rogue audio sphinx which by itself is a very good amp already. You have got the check out the system. Just my two cents.

Winsome

Bananas&blow, jusbe and Hawkeye20 like this.
  3. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Yes, I originally heard the 14s1 driving Vandersteen Treo CT's which piqued my interest in the Marantz Reference series; I then purchased a Ruby and have dragged it to my brother's for a comparison:

The Ruby is faster, revealing more detail; a bit more open, with improvements in imaging thrown in. (These may be a related to the aforementioned speed of the amp).
    The difference was noticable, but not enough for my brother to sell his 14 and upgrade to the Ruby.

The phono section of the Ruby is suprisingly good. I've since added the Ruby CD / SACD, from Taylor at Goldprint Audio (great guy) and am extremely happy.

FWIW, I using the Q Acoustics Concept 40, a real sleeper of a speaker.

Hope this help, stay safe.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  4. Hawkeye20

Thanks ! Was the Ruby amp warmer in tonality to the PM14 do you think ?

And how does the Ruby SA Cd compare to the SA 14S1SE ?

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I personally have not been able to hear any of the PM14 units (unfortunately). I brought on Marantz REF here after those units were discontinued.

I will add, however, that I have been blown away with just how good the RUBY units are. The PM-KI does have a bit of warmth and richness to it. Almost a little tube like in overall sound.

The RUBY units have quickly become one of my best sellers (and rightly so). In my opinion, they are a tremendous value in today's hifi options.

6. GoldprintAudio

clhboa and Hawkeye20 like this.
  7. Hawkeye20

Thanks Goldprint - a gushing review.
    They reckon its as good as the PM11 / SA11 series

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  8. Hawkeye20

My interest is increasing, but obviously the SA KI Ruby lacks bluetooth
    What are the best options for adding non wired streaming ?

9. GoldprintAudio

Keep it in the family and get a Marantz NA6006 to go along with them! And use the dac on the SA-KI.

10. tom1040

tom1040 Forum Resident

I have not heard either but I understand the Ruby is even newer than the PM10 & SA10 (which I have). I suspect the Ruby to be very close in performance to these pieces which I really like a lot.

11. Steve Thorakos

Steve Thorakos Member

The RUBY units have quickly become one of my best sellers (and rightly so). In my opinion, they are a tremendous value in today's hifi options.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I recently Purchased the Marantz PM-KI Ruby Integrated. Ive Not received it yet, its in shipping. It was a lightly used Demo unit, NOT returnable.
    Marantz says:"...Use the PM-KI Ruby as a standalone stereo power amplifier for additional system configuration versatility with the included power amp input, or connect the PM-KI Ruby to an external power amplifier via the stereo pre-amp outputs..." (here> PM-KI Ruby )
    This clearly says it has Pre-amp output for an external amplifier.
    But from looking at the Photos AND reading the Manual I dont see how this is done.
    Can you confirm it can be connected to a Powered Sub or a Power Amp. I have a few Interesting Power amps and speakers I use on occasion. Don't we All?

I had a Authorized Dealer of Marantz in CA tell me it is one through the Tape(Record) Outputs but he didn't know how.
    I had B&H in NYC tell me he was VERY confused but didn't think it had a Preamp out but was Annoyed at the Literature from Marantz and said he SOLD units to customers that believed it did because Marantz said so.
    I contacted Marantz and the person answering the phones had NO IDEA. Its been 3 days and Marantz has not replied to me. he first said a powered Sub connects to the SACD Player but then said no that cant be. And that has nothing to do with connecting another Amp.

If this is TRUE then Marantz has a BIG LIABILITY Problem!

That is a Prerequisite for ME and most others Im sure.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2020
  12. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Steve, I just looked at the back of mine, there's a swich to bi-amp & a set of rca's labled 'Amp In'.

Which sure sounds like a preamp out, but don't quote me on that. If it is, that's pretty silly wording. Maybe craft a message to Marantz asking if 'Amp In' = 'Preamp Out'?

Once you get the unit & let it break in, you may not feel the need to change power amps. It's that good. I know mine got me off the amp merry-go-round.

13. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I see no stereo pre-amp output.

2channelforever likes this.
  14. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Based on reviewing the manual, it's not possible to use the KI Ruby as a preamplifier. Power amp input is used for connecting a preamplifier and use the KI Ruby as a power amplifier.

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

16. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

You can use the Marantz as a preamp by connecting your power amp (or powered sub) to the L/R preamp outputs. Page 12 in the manual shows how to make these connections:

[​IMG]

17. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

That's not the Ruby though, which the question entailed. The Ruby has no preouts.

18. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

You're right. I didn't know there were both Pearl and Ruby variants of the PM-KI integrated. The screenshot above is from the Pearl manual. The Ruby does not appear to have preouts, just two tape/recorder outputs which wouldn't work the same as preouts.

19. Steve Thorakos

Steve Thorakos Member

No and I replied to another thread about Marantz's Apology and admittance of False and Misleading information on their website and printed literature. They are doing nothing about it. Horrible Customer Service BTW. But what should one expect from a big commercial company.
    I purchased the Ruby under the pretense it had a Pre-Out as described.
    I have other amps I was planning on using with it. Sad and disappointed.

On a Positive Note:

Its a very nice sounding Amp. Great Phono Section!! What a shame I wont be able to keep it for long unless I sell off my amps. When im finished listening to it I'll likely sell it.

Its very tube like. Deep tight base and a somewhat polite high end. Great vocals.

I currently use a custome made pair of Parker Audio MTM design speakers with No crossovers and a cap on a Ribbon tweeter. Very relieving. 95+ db sensitive.

I have a Decware SET (heavily modified to use EL84's and 6922) and a McAlister Audio SE32s 16wpc Class-A Single Ended Amp.

Im shopping for a Tekton Speaker. Trying to decide which ones. I want the Double Impact but exploring other models.

20. GoldprintAudio

Sorry you had this issue Steve....I had not even noticed that Marantz had preout listed on the website specs for the RUBY.

Since you like the sound of the RUBY so much, perhaps you could consider the new MODEL30. Sound wise they are close (basically the same amp section with some difference on the pre side). And it DOES have preouts.

21. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

I don't agree with that guy's impressions. I have never thought the PM8004 sounded bad on the top end. I have a pair of Monitor Audio though, which are brighter speakers. I want to know what he's running.

Another guy in there claims the Ruby series is literally identical to the PM8004 as well but offers no proof. I'm thinking about buying a Ruby as my heritage/legacy amp and I'd like to know how he came to that conclusion.

22. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

The guy in that thread is a fool, I would not trust anything he says, for example in the same thread he types:-

"The PM8004 IS!! the same unit as the almost $3k Peril and Ruby units. Only the faceplate is "jazzed up". So what gives?"

Ruby is a class D amp! completely different to the PM8004!

jusbe, MC Rag and scobb like this.
  23. GoldprintAudio

The RUBY and the 8004 are not identical.

MC Rag likes this.
  24. Steve Thorakos

Steve Thorakos Member

I almost bought the Model 30 but the Ruby is made better, has some superior qualities and will certainly hold more of its value.
    If I sell the Marantz I will Not be buying another Marantz. My first and last product from them. Oh well.

Im buying a McIntosh next. I should have just bought it in the first place.

25. Steve Thorakos

Steve Thorakos Member

No, they're not even similar. LOL. The 8004 lacks Soul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.