Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A-S801/A-S701

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nola27, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Australian Hi-Fi. :D

All their Yamaha reviews read "superlative sound". You draw your own conclusions.

Regards

2. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Agreed, it's been my experience that the grass isn't greener where amp upgrades are concerned. Yamaha operate on large economies of scale and have solid engineering credentials - they can feasibly bring to market quality audiophile products at an affordable price point. The A-S series is testament to this.

3. LARGERTHAN

Their superlatives matter not where the test bench is concerned. Indeed, we do all draw our own conclusions - some informed, others less so.

4. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

So if I disagree with you I’m less informed. Got it.

5. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

dumb question here, but i dont see any recorder out selector on the front. does the sound just always go out the rec outs when connected and you just turn the speakers off to use headphones via the shiit?

6. LARGERTHAN

Hardly. I thought the proposition that sub 1k Yamaha amps offered little in the way of price/performance warranted some examination, and I offered real, tangible evidence to the contrary - perhaps there's some prospective buyers here that may find that info of use.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I had one of their HTR receivers that I used for 2 ch. I paid more for it than my A-S500. The latter blows away the former in all regards. My father had one of their near TOTL AVRs - same result. The A-S500 seemed to have more power on tap and a more natural tone.

Maybe the Doc would like to provide his personal anecdotes, and explain what he found is the better value in this price segment...

8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Not a dumb question but that's exactly what I did and it worked. I wasn't 100% sure at first either. I think the amp just sends that signal to the record out at all times. But yes do that and just turn the speakers off via the speaker selector on the front.

9. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

thanks, need to get my vintage yamaha re-capped and thinking i'll get an as-501 to use while its out for repair.

Carlox likes this.
  10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Hi Gents,

Cramming 4 or 5 different models in the sub 1K market, with the feature set overlapping their stereo/mch receiver offerings. For someone who is looking for the great value/feature proposition they may make a lot of sense. They look great too. For me though, it’s the sound first and foremost. It is in this department where these amps are considerably lacking. Sound without the strong fundament, poor rhythmic sense and less than average dynamics. To me, they seem more like the ‘confectionary’ offer, rather than a serious amp. I did listen 501 and 801.
    This is my personal opinion only, not a scientific review. YMMV of course.

Kind Regards

Minty_fresh likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

In comparison to what?

12. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Look @ thread title.

Regards

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

So your experience was that the 8005 is better in terms of rhythm and dynamics. Thanks for the clarification. These details might be useful to the OP.

14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yes. Agree. Again, just my opinion based on spending some time with Yamaha's at local dealer, owning PM8003 and having PM8005 on loan for few months. Worth saying that i didn't think PM8xxx are the 'hottest' amps around. They have their share of shortcomings that I wrote about in this and other threads.

Kind Regards

Helom likes this.
  15. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Vaguely curious, is there any amp you did like in the sub-$1k price range?

16. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I never said I didn’t like Marantz. It's actually very good in that price range. Much better than Yamaha’s.

I liked many NAD amps in sub to 1k range. My all-time favourite would be C352. Heard the Rega Brio recently, and I thought it was great.
    Currently listening Schiit Freya + 2 Vidars combo in dual mono config and have also tested with one Vidar in unbalanced stereo.
    Based on that, I would think that Schiit Saga + 1 Vidar would be great sounding combo within the 1k mark.
    I don’t run a high-end rig myself. and don’t look down at the equipment in that price range.
    Being fortunate to have access to someone who's in audio business, gives me the opportunity to hear different gear/setups at various price points. Some of which are a way beyond my reach.

Regards

17. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

I should have said "liked best" in the sub-$1k price range. Either way thanks for your input. Currently looking for a decent amp, and wasn't overly enthused with the sound signature of the Yammy or Marantz units. I think your take is pretty bang on! Definitely will look into Schiit's offerings.

DrZhivago likes this.
  18. nola27

nola27 Active Member Thread Starter

I have ended my search for an integrated. I purchased a used mint Primare I30. I also connected my Yamaha RX-770 tuner section to it and all is good. the Primare I30 is a dual mono, 100 wpc integrated designed in Sweden. its very well built and its sound is a bit on the warm side of neutral, and a great match with my speakers.

james, caupina and Helom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.