Marantz Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mrkrinkle, Nov 25, 2022.

1. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, that's good to hear. I liked the Ruby, but I actually prefer the 8006--more kick, more fun. Sounds like the 40n has a similar vibe/approach.

Curious if the two sound sufficiently different to make the jump from the 8006 to the 40n. (My one complaint about the 8006 is that it can sound a little bright and shouty sometimes. I actually use it as a pre with a vintage amp to tame that a bit.)

bgiliberti likes this.
  2. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Your preference for all things not Class D is very reasonable.

The way in which you express your preference is often much less reasonable. And it’s the unreasonableness to which we respond. Not as “Class D activist”, but as human beings.

Mark Levinson, Ken Ishiwata and Bruno Putzeys (for instance) are esteemed designers. Their work in Class D is hardly “crap”. Terming it as such lacks accuracy and credibility. And for those who have spent their hard earned money on such products, your mode of expression is a tad insulting.

As the saying goes, it’s not what we say, but how we say it….
    :edthumbs:

3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Cornwall-er

My experience with the Marantz 30 was perhaps soured by the speakers I tried it with: Klipsch Cornwall II. Often very sibilant and somewhat hard treble, the tone controls didn't seem to make a difference (Yes there is a tone defeat on the remote). I replaced with a Rogue Cronus Magnum III and no more sibilance or hardness. Different horses for different courses.

4. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had an equally unpleasant experience with the 8006 and Cornwall IVs. Not a good combo, IMO.

jusbe and Ntotrar like this.
  5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Forum Resident

Benchmark is not Class D.

Bill Mac, bgiliberti and Toneh like this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've never found the 40 to be bright/shouty, but I've also never heard one with Klipsch (primarily run them with Joseph/KEF/Spendor/DeVore).

mrkrinkle likes this.