Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I would also take into consideration that Marantz is a tad darker than the others mentioned. I don't really understand how Marantz does it....but the tonal balance is spot on. Just as the clarity, transparency and small details in sound that come through. And the build quality and reliability is second to none. And to take a peek inside a Marantz Reference amp its wall to wall....no light weight amps and they are simply beautiful amps to look at...pictures do them no justice. I think they are a real bargain at their price point considering the level of fidelity they put out.

jusbe, Dan Steele and ayrehead like this.
  2. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

....As a heart attack.

I'm wrestling with my next move as I haven't upgraded in years, the Marantz offers some real advantages, especially if I want to avoid playing hi-fi again & just enjoy the music.

But there's a little gremlin that's whispering to me to try a tube integrated before I take a dirt nap.

I agree with you 100% that they represent a great value and sound very, very good.

First world problems, I know....

3. Slippers-on

Well I do own hybrids as well and have friends in my city who own tube gear as well so Ive listened to lots of tube gear....Marantz Reference amps have a tube sound to my ears.

4. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

My PM10S1 mates really well with my new Emerald Physics open baffle speakers. Sounds like end game around here. :)

jusbe and Slippers-on like this.
  5. Slippers-on

I heard those at Axpona a few years ago...Very Nice...and congrats!

ayrehead likes this.
  6. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I recently purchased the Marantz SA-10. Without question this is a real pride of ownership piece. It took me a while to make it around to an SA-10 purchase, as I thought the PS Audio Memory Player would be my last player, however that did not work out too well for me or PS Audio, as that product is not completely abandoned. The Marantz SA-10 is just in a different league when compared to other CD/SACD players, the construction is reminiscent of my old Sony SCD-1.

I have been so pleased with it's CD capabilities as well as the outstanding SACD performance. This player easily equals or exceeds my older PS Audio Memory player or any of my past Sony players especially the overrated 5400. Everything about the SA-10 is just so smooth, the drawer, the switching, the control functions, the ease of operation, the fantastic remote control, the headphone output, the CD filters, everything is simply exceptional. The build is the best I have ever seen.

There is no down side to the SA-10, it's just a beautiful top shelf piece, and the Champagne finish is stunning. It's probably as close to perfection as I will ever see, and the DAC function is simply the best I have ever experienced, the sound is remarkable, finest presentation I have ever experienced.

I just can't help but wonder if I would benefit from the PM-10 to go with the SA-10? I have the Parasound HALO A-21 power amplifier and the HALO JC-2 BP Pre-Amp, and that would be a hard act to follow. I am partial to the Class A/AB operation as well, although I'm sure Marantz's D amplification is beautifully engineered, no doubt, it certainly did not slow Jeff Rowland up with all his new product Class D cutting edge amplification. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    guestuser, mjcmt, jusbe and 10 others like this.
  7. ayrehead

Litejazz53 and Slippers-on like this.
  8. Slippers-on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my older model and its sounding great! Pictures do nothing for how it looks in person....Reference PM-10 will serve you well!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    mjcmt, jusbe and Dave Decadent like this.
  9. Litejazz53

That is a beautiful amplifier indeed, I just love that finish, so nice! I need to see some good pics of your entire system on the systems thread, hope you can get a few pics done! Why do you think Marantz has done away with their separates on the reference end?

jusbe and Slippers-on like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm listening to Patricia Barber's Companion MFSL SACD with the SA-10 and it sounds excellent :)! It's a combination of a very well recorded album on SACD and the quality of the SA-10. Patricia Barber's vocals are so life like and seem to fill the center of my room. All other aspects of the recording are also so realistic as well. The SACD is OOP but well worth seeking out.

Patricia Barber - Companion

F1nut and Pjotr into Music like this.
  11. Slippers-on

I'll see about pics on system thread.

I don't know if they've done away with Reference separates...I've not seen an official document stating so....just what I've heard in the streets. But to tell you the truth, with the new owners running off the high end hifi guru, I'm wondering what the next Reference gear will look like. That new guy looks like he is up to the challenge, but don't know if he's up to the guru's skills. So we wait and see.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  12. Slippers-on

I've got most of her music in DSD 128. All of her music no matter what resolution or if digital or on records is audiophile quality

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree! I have all of Patricia Barber SACDs with the recordings being done by Jim Anderson and they sound incredible!

Slippers-on likes this.
  14. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Agree for 100%. Might I also suggest the Shelby Lynne Just a little Lovin SACD? Sounds truly remarkable on my SA11s3.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent suggestion! I'll put on the Just A Little Lovin' SACD after playing the PB's Modern Cool SACD.

16. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Plse let me know how it sounds. The album still amazes me.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I sure will. The Just A Little Lovin' SACD is an excellent sounding disc. It's been awhile since I played it. Thanks for posting the suggestion!

18. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

Well ladies & gents, I came to my senses & acquired a PM-KI Ruby integrated, thanks for everyone's input and candor.

First impressions are very good, I can say with confidence that the ARC SP-6c & the Robertson 4010 are now officially retired, son will be picking them up in the next week or so. It's nice to be a part of the 21st century.

Next move is to update the digital front end. Since I missed the SACD boom (?), I'm thinking the ND8006 redbook & streamer combo. Unless on Redbook the Ruby SA-KI is head & shoulders better than the ND.

Thoughts?

all24bits likes this.
  19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It's better.

20. Litejazz53

You need to hang tight and go ahead with the SA-K1 Ruby to go with your PM-K1, it would be a mistake to settle for the ND8006, terrible mistake you might not recover from!

F1nut likes this.
  21. Jim Werling

Jim Werling Member

Hi everyone,

I just got the Marantz PM-10S1 based on the information here and elsewhere and I would like to ask for some help. I have the Marantz SA-8005 and would like to get a DAC that has XLR outputs. Help!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

22. ayrehead

Hello Jim. I have the PM-10S1/ SA-8004. If you want balanced outs sell your 8005 and get the SA-10. The only reason I haven't done it is because I primarily listen to vinyl so digital is not that important to me. Enjoy your PM-10S1!

23. Jim Werling

Jim Werling Member

To elaborate more on the DAC idea. I currently use the SA-8005 for streaming Tidal, Qobuz and Amazon HD. My speakers are Goldenear Triton 5. I'm trying to improve SQ but can't afford the SA-10 right now. Looking for a stopgap. I have about a thousand to spend. Perhaps the SA-8500 is as good as it gets at a grand?

24. Jim Werling

Jim Werling Member

Thanks for the reply! I can't swing that kind of money right now.

25. Nordvest

Nordvest Well-Known Member

We just bought a new Marantz NA11s1 from a dealership here in Norway and due to some bargaining I don’t really understand how I managed to get away with, we got it for about 1000 dollars instead of the 4000 dollars it ordinarily costs here. I’m still a little shocked, couldn’t quite believe it until I got it home and hooked it up :)

Anyway, it’s now hooked up to our PM11s3 that we bought used a couple of years ago, and I’m really enjoying testing it

Slippers-on and Bill Mac like this.