Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Which was your previous amp. I can not understand how any amp especially a Class D one can be worth £7K even with a discount, see Abe Collins latest post.

2. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I kept all my previous amps, but PM-10 is in rack where Mcintosh MC252 and C46 used to reside. Point taken, you're not a Marantz Reference enthusiast, we all get that :)

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

So, neither you or the guy you'd follow into hell have heard said amp, yet armed with nothing you've declared war on it.

Have you at least seen a picture of the interior? I ask because it looks like what one would expect of a high end piece of kit to me.

4. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Using the PM15S1 and SA15S1 myself. Fantastic bits of kit, and good looking to boot. Driving my MA Bronze 2's excellently using either the CD player or Sonos via a Hegel HD11 as sources. Won't see myself upgrading any time soon (apart from the speakers perhaps).

Johnny Vinyl and bradleyc like this.
  5. High Fidelity

6. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Actually, they've declared war due to the fact Marantz is using parts made by Hypex Electronics. Personally I couldn't care less about it. The proof is always in the performance/hearing for me. Their justification for the diss is using OEM parts on the cheap and charging a huge price.

Dominator likes this.
  7. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

While my budget certainly does not allow for brand new Marantz gear of any line, I have a hard time imagining that any of it is a waste of money.
    My Marantz TT-170 turntable, some older one i found used at GW for about $10 ready to use, seems to do an awesome job.

8. High Fidelity

Marantz PM-10 integrated amp in UK £7K . Nord make power amp using Ncore 500 modules £1400

9. That's a lame comparison. First of all, you're comparing an IA to PA. And secondly, there are many more puzzle pieces that make up a piece of gear. To use one piece of that puzzle as your justification for your belabored point doesn't wash.

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

If this is the case...then you should be really angry...because a lot of high end manufacturers use part from other manufacturers and charge thousands. You ever see what Scanspeak drivers cost? you ever see what some of the top speakers manufacturers charge for their speakers with those $70 drivers? Yeah they tweak them, but still they cost little in comparison to the speakers. You think Marantz made every part in the Marantz amps you know own?

11. High Fidelity

Has anyone auditioned the Marantz PA-10 ?

12. I have not, no! But that doesn't make my post less valid.

F1nut likes this.
  13. bradleyc

14. bradleyc

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. High Fidelity

All my SACDs are mch so the SA-10 is of no interest to me, on another Forum a very experienced Marantz enthusiast finds the SA-10 on CDs is not as good as a earlier Marantz player. As for the PM-10 ,I do not require IMO overpriced 200 wpc amp . Class A, AD, D , G tried all of them including Devialet and still much prefer Class AB.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You're like a broken record, annoying.

17. High Fidelity

I knew this would upset you. LOL

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't get upset. However, your posts in this thread are annoying because you keep repeating yourself. It's almost like you're trying to convince yourself even though you've not heard either piece.

19. High Fidelity

Marantz CD7 is the one to beat and I doubt if the SA-10 does it for CD, however I understand the stereo SACD is excellent according to the Marantz enthusiast who has owned all the Marantz reference spinners, the only one I have owned was IMO very poor SA-7S1 .

20. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Ya I have read the SA-10 converts all PCM to DSD before it coverts to analog. I was wondering if that would have a negative effect on the sound quality compared to Marantz's previous plays which handled both PCM and DSD natively. Of course Marantz claims the conversion to DSD is upconverting. I haven't heard the SA-10, so I have no opinion one way or another. My initial reaction was just that converting wverything to DSD first, would likely color the sound for PCM input compared to what poeple are usually used to.

Can you please post a link to this other forum with comments by an experienced Marantz enthusiasts?

I had been saving up for an SA-11S4....but looks like the S4 may never happen now, so need to reevaluate.

21. bradleyc

Marantz CD7 is extinct :o

F1nut likes this.
  22. High Fidelity

Yes extinct but still the CD player to beat according to Marantz enthusiast Hired Fox on Audio Asylum digital Hi- Rez Marantz SA-10 page 2 posted April 19. Unfortunately there are too may threads on the SA-10, I compared some years ago the CD-7 with my very highly converted Marantz CD94 which uses the same double crown TD 1541 dacs etc.and they sounded basically the same ,so it was not worth spending £3500 for the CD7.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  23. bradleyc

So you haven't actually ever listened to the PM-10, SA-10 or CD7? Let us know when you get some real world experience before slamming the new Marantz gear again please.

F1nut likes this.
  24. High Fidelity

You should go to Specsavers , I did audition the CD-7( for over an hour ) compared to my modified CD94. Marantz enthusiast Hired Fox has owned every Marantz reference player, he is a regular Concert Hall attendee , I trust his final opinion on the SA-10. I would not waste my time or money on the SA-10 or PM-10.

25. bradleyc

So if we ever do want to know your opinion on new Marantz gear we'll ask hired fox :targettiphat: