Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

yes I am an enthusiast of Marantz reference gear... but I don't have the cash to get it.
    I just have the poor man's version of it... pm-8400 integrated, the guts of the pearl lite without a couple chassis refinements.

bradleyc and F1nut like this.
  2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok, let me/us know what they come up with.

3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

How is the sound of the marantz sa8005 on sacd and cd ? I am looking into owning a second dedicated digital player as an alternative listen to my oppo 105D to replace my aging Arcam CD73.. I know marantz also makes the 11 series reference sacd player for like 2500 and I think the 10 series for like 6500 ... But unless I can get the 2500 for less than 1500 those two are probably out of price range Does the 8005 have reference level components built into it ?
    Thanks ;)

4. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Music Direct has an end of year sale going on the SA-8005 for $899 with free shipping. Check to see if the 30-60 day return policy applies to sale items just in case you decide it’s not your sound. It’s an excellent sounding player especially with redbook playback, and it’s made in Japan.

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. bradleyc

What Hi-Fi has reviews online for PM-10 and SA-10 in February and March. Positive ratings across the board, might be last Reference Series models in production.

6. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I own a PM8004 which was a demo I purchased in 2015 for $600. It was the best $600 I ever spent on amplification but I wouldn't mind moving up to the PM-14S1. I usually see open box units from Music Direct heavily discounted.

7. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I have one that isn't mentioned much. The DV12-S1 DVD-A/CD player. I bought it in 1999 for a huge discount as it was being discontinued.

8. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Are you still liking your PM-10S1? I pulled the trigger on one yesterday. I'm looking forward to the increase in power to drive my Aerial 5T's.

bradleyc and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. bradleyc

Yes, so very satisfied with my two PM-10’s powering Klipsch La Scala II’s and Cornwall III’s. The PM-10’s are both sounding just right to me, no weaknesses. My dealer bailed on them at cost due to overhead, could not be more pleased with their performance, build and aesthetics. I hope you enjoy yours in good health for many years, Congratulations!

10. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Thanks. I got a crazy deal on mine too.

11. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I think Marantz and Yamaha offer products that are better than the competition at comparable price points. The economics of scale and years of research and development provide benefits to those purchasing their products.
    Sounds like good choices to me...

clercqie, bradleyc, LarryP and 2 others like this.
  12. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I absolutely love my SA-8004 and felt it was worth every bit of the $699 I paid for it on clearance. I wish it had FLAC playback capabilities like the SA-8005 but it is a unit I plan to keep as long as I can hear music. That said, I would love to jump in with both feet and get the SA-KI-Ruby but the price is just beyond my abilities at this time. In the world of wants and needs it is an ultimate want...kinda like the McIntosh stuff I 'want'....

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've had my demo SA-KI RUBY here about a month or so now. I've been extremely impressed with it (both as a disc player and as a DAC).

Johnny Vinyl, randy9700 and bradleyc like this.
  14. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I just installed my PM-10 a few minutes ago and I'm playing my first record as I write this. I had to reverse my cartridge leads to compensate for the xlr connectors being wired European. From what I'm hearing so far I think I'm going to love it.

bradleyc likes this.
  15. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

This thing is really starting to sound good. Now I can die in peace.

16. bradleyc

It really is an end game unit, now you can rediscover your music collection all over again. Game over! :)

17. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Breaking news: I'm more in love with it today than I was yesterday. :pineapple:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  18. bradleyc

... but not as much as tomorrow :love:

ayrehead, Johnny Vinyl and ZippyPippy like this.
  19. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I'm still loving my PM10, but that's not what I want to talk about today. I've got a Marantz SA8004 cd player that I might have spun 10 cd's on. Since I'm a vinyl guy it's been rotting in my attic for about a year. Now that I have the PM10, I'm thinking about bringing it down and putting it in my system. I guess my question is how good is this thing compared to what's out now? I've completely lost touch with all things digital.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  20. bradleyc

Any limitations in sound quality will be with your CDs and SACDs. My SA8005 is a rock solid performer, at a fraction of the cost of the Marantz Reference players :)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Cool. I'll give it a try.

22. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

With my new Transfiguration Phoenix and Marantz PM-10S1 breaking in nicely I have no audiophile complaints. Both Stereophile and TAS introduced the Marantz reference components but neither bothered to review the PM10. Does anyone find this odd? :confused:

23. GoldprintAudio

Glad to see you are enjoying the PM-10! I'm still extremely impressed with both my demo RUBY units. (PM-KI and SA-KI)

Johnny Vinyl, bradleyc and Ivand like this.
  24. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I'm impressed too. I don't think Marantz is getting the praise they deserve on these components.

bradleyc and GoldprintAudio like this.
  25. GoldprintAudio

Funny enough....just sold a PM-KI to customer here a few minutes ago!

bradleyc and Ivand like this.