Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I played my vinyl copy of Modern Cool last night. Absolutely incredible with new amp and cartridge. If I could reach it I'd pat myself on the back.

GoldprintAudio and bradleyc like this.
  2. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool, also interested to find out what your impressions are pairing your SA8004 with the PM-10.

3. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

I used to have a SA-KI, but sadly i sold when I moved to a smaller place. Now that I'm in a bigger place with an dedicated listening room, i regret selling it.

4. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I finally got around to hooking up the SA8004. It's very smooth, non fatiguing. This is not how I remember CDs sounding.

When I got out of digital I had an Olive music server feeding a Benchmark DAC1. It was ear splitting. Maybe there's some synergy between the SA8004 and the PM-10S1. This makes me wonder what the Marantz reference players sound like.

But wait! I almost forgot. I have a Class D amp. It sounds like total crap! Maybe I'm just imagining all of this...

bradleyc likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'd love a Reference Marantz system. However I am more than content with my current '74 Marantz Receiver.

I do miss my separates from 1980. Just before the Dawn of the CD. Making LP rips to Cassette was mind blowing...

[​IMG]

6. bradleyc

So glad you like the synergy with your Marantz PM-10 and SA-8004. You would enjoy a Marantz Reference player too, but at least now you’re jamming! :cool:

ayrehead likes this.
  7. bradleyc

Thinking about a Ruby player lately, to go with my Pearl player in the office system. They are limited special editions, hear one calling my name. :targettiphat:

ayrehead likes this.
  8. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Which one is better, the reference player or the Ruby player?

9. bradleyc

I’ve yet to hear the new SA-KI Ruby player, but it is also part of the Marantz Reference line. My SA-10S1 is probably better, would imagine the Ruby is closer to the SA-11S3 but don’t know for sure. The Ruby should be better than my SA-14S1, at nearly twice the price. You can see a couple more of the Reference players on the Marantz UK website, they are no longer offered in the US but are still available in the UK.

10. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

What about the SA-10?

11. I have an old Marantz Superscope turntable/radio system from right around when Saul sold his company

12. bradleyc

The SA-10 is the best disc spinner I’ve ever owned and heard. Have listened to some of the Esoterics, Yamaha, Wadia as well as some other quality players. It looks like the SA-KI Ruby shares many of the parts and technology of the SA-10 without the balanced XLR circuitry. My guess would be the Ruby is better bang for the buck, without giving up much sound and build quality to the SA10. My dealer bailed on the SA-10 after months of not selling one, so he let me purchase it for under half retail :)

13. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

When my wife wins the lottery I'm going to get one. :)

14. bradleyc

Until that time, your SA8004 should give you plenty of hours of listening pleasure. They’re made in Japan like the Reference line, and are huge bang for the buck.

15. I've always been a Marantz guy, all my amps and A/V receivers until 2012 have been Marantz. I also used to get Marantz CD players back in 90's, I still remember the sound of my CD-67 from 1997 later coupled with a Musical Fidelity X-10D "tube buffer", its sound was magic for a budget CD player.
    But in 2012 I was on the market for a new A/V receiver as my Marantz SR-7000 despite still sounding great it was ancient by 2012's standards (no HDMI) and I didn't find any Marantz A/V receiver at the time that I quite liked. One day a friend that works at a department store at the Hi Fi department called as he wanted me to listen to a new Pioneer SC LX-76 and he urged me to bring some of my best sounding music. I answered him that I wasn't bothering as he wasn't a Marantz but he insisted and I finally went to listen to this misterious Pioneer receiver. I took some SACD's and CD's with me and after half an hour of listening I asked my friend "how long to get one?" and he answered me they had 5 in stock. Within some hours the old Marantz SR-7000 was boxed and the Pioneer SC LX-76 was in my home theatre set up, I just love it regardless of what some people say about Class D not sounding fine.

16. bradleyc

Here’s some photos of the Marantz Reference gear in my B-rig:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

For some reason I can't access those photos.

18. bradleyc

Odd, I can see them on here using my iPhone. Probably some Photobucket restriction?

19. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

It says you moved or deleted the images.

20. bradleyc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here’s some photos of the Marantz Reference gear in my B-rig.

21. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I see you have a crappy sounding class d amp. I have mine sitting on 4 Herbies Clear Iso-Cups and Frosted Acrylic Balls.

22. bradleyc

Our wind chill March 3rd here in the Midwest is -19 below, mine are frosted balls too. :D

ayrehead likes this.
  23. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I wish I knew how to post pictures...

24. bradleyc

You have to host your photos somewhere first such as Photobucket. Then you can copy the direct URL of your photo from there, click on the image icon here, and paste the hosted image URL into the SH forum image box, then click on the insert button.

25. bradleyc

Not displaying right yet. Use the square icon that looks like a mountainscape and paste just the URL of your hosted photo in there.