Marc Bolan & T. Rex What Are Best And Most Superior Masters on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauleyh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

You get the Visconti / Ted Jensen remasters of The Slider, Tanx and Zinc Alloy in the Complete Studio Albums box from Edsel.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Oh, thanks. I didn't know that.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's a lot better than £124.99!

4. moops

moops Senior Member

No worries ..... those albums each get the Visconti/Jensen remastering credit in the booklet that comes with the box.
    I'm not sure what's been done for the other albums but there's a mastering credit at the rear of the booklet ..... CD Mastering - Phil Kinrade at Alchemy Mastering
    Make of that what you will I guess.
    I don't have any real problems with the Electric Warrior in this box either.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's only my opinion, but the Visconti/Jensen 2014 remaster of Tanx/Zinc sounds too loud. No dynamics at all.

6. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I found an SHM "Slider" and as nice at it is MOW is better and more organic like UK original vinyl.

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

What's the consensus on 2014-15 Sean Magee mastered deluxe editions of the Tyrannosaurus Rex albums vs the 2004 expanded slipcase issues?

8. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

The 2014 "My People Were Fair…" finally gets the tonality right. All earlier releases I've heard sound too bright to me.
    The Deluxe "Prophets" and "Unicorn" are mono mixes, so definitely worth getting.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I like the 2004 expanded editions, or maybe it's just that I don't want to buy those albums once again :D
    I think they sound quite right, but people have expressed a lot of satisfaction regarding the 2014 remasters.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought the Tanx shm-cd today. It sounds great! :)

11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This 2016 Rhino remaster of the s/t seems to be going under the radar. Both vinyl and cd apparently. T. Rex (Remastered) (CD) » Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot remastered it. It is not overly loud, or it doesn't seem as bad as some of the Rhino T. Rex sets I have tried in the past and then gone to the originals. I don't have an original of this one to compare; anyone else tried this one by chance?

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I don't usually care for Rhino T Rex.

Darryl

13. Electric Warrior

I like the Hersch/Inglot mastered 2003 Electric Warrior. It's brighter than my favorites, but not overly so.

rock76 likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'm not a big fan of the Rhino T. Rex either, and I am not saying this 2016 is great, certainly since I have not heard the early CDs, but it reminds me of Hersch's recent Fleetwood Mac remasters of Tusk and Mirage. A lot better than the mid 2000 Fleetwood Mac remasters, still a little loud but maybe working more in service of the music this time, and not overly bright.

Is there a consensus pick for best CD of the s/t? I have not found too much discussion on that album on its own. On discogs I find Cube Records CDs in the 80's, then a Castle records CD in '91.

Plan9 likes this.
  15. Electric Warrior

I haven't heard the Cube/Teldec yet. The Castle and the 1998 A&M are both great.

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Until we get 24/96 flat(ish) transfers from the original master tapes, the Castle (Fly) and MOW (T. Rex Wax Co) will suffice plenty.
    Nice to see the arrival of the official T. Rex/Bolan merch website.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I got a Cube/Teldec and it is pretty interesting comparing it against the '16. Clear eq differences between the two, it is a pretty overall shift in tone almost as if from a speed difference; so much more comes through however on the '16 (it is pretty shocking) without too much compression penalty if you ask me, but then I can imagine many still liking the original from a relaxation (and a wee bit more decay in spots) standpoint as the '16 hits you with quite a lot of upper range activity (it seems to walk a fine line of a lot, but just barely not too much). This might be a case where someone who knows the vinyl may find one of these far more like that than the other. I doubt I could pick a clear winner at this point but I imagine one will win over in the long run as they are too different.

Oh and while we are on the subject, "Ride A White Swan" is an awesome single, is it on an original CD anywhere? I'll go look but likely someone here knows best.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  18. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

The SACD of Warrior sounds perfect to me....The Repertoire is good, and the Japanese T REX Slider from march of 1991 is good also.....I don't see a problem with any of the early stuff either....all sound ok....have a dozen others from the early career....not planning on any up grade....they are satisfactory.

art likes this.
  19. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I was thinking of picking this up too. I have an original, but it's not in good shape. Any more thoughts on this one?

20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

So, in summary (lol) which are the recommended versions, on CD, of:

T Rex?
    Electric Warrior?
    The Slider?
    Tanx?
    + a recommended compilation?

Optimism rules ok!

21. Electric Warrior

I can recommend

T. Rex - Castle, 1998 A&M
    Electric Warrior - Castle, 1998 A&M
    The Slider - Marc On Wax
    Tanx - Marc On Wax

The compilation situation is complicated...

bobcat likes this.
  22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Many thanks.

I had a look on Discogs and there are many Marc On Wax versions of The Slider and Tanx.

Are there any specific ones you recommend?

23. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Agree with this. Recently picked up a mint copy from Discogs. Sounds fantastic!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

:) it's a wolf in sheep's basic, cheapo clothing.. joint best CD I've ever heard..

25. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

What's the other?