Marc Bolan & T. Rex What Are Best And Most Superior Masters on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauleyh, Jul 4, 2013.

1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Is that this one?:

Electric Warrior - Castle, 1998 A&M

2. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

No, the information on the case says CLACD 180 1990. Licensed from Noeland Productions. Produced by Tony Visconti for Straight Ahead Productions.
    • Barcode: 5013428781807
    • Matrix / Runout: CD PLANT MFG CLACD 180 CDM01. It also states it was made in England on the c.d.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    bobcat likes this.
  3. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

5. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

That's the Castle I was talking about. And here's the A&M: T. Rex - Electric Warrior

There are ****loads of masterings of this album. We really need a big shootout.

The european ones. MARCD 503 for Slider and MARCD 504 for Tanx (but I believe RAPD 503 are the same masterings, just using the original cover art).

art and BlueSpeedway like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Ah well, there's a few that for me have that wow factor of that Electric Warrior :)

eg... The Fall Perverted By Language (Castle 1993 release) / Amon Düül II (all CDs on the Mantra label) / Bowie Station to Station and Low (RCA West Germany) / Tchaikovsky Symphonies: Karajan (original unremastered Deutsche Grammophon box set) / Wagner: Solti Tannhäuser (original unremastered Decca set) / Love and Rockets Love and Rockets (RCA USA 1989) / Eno-Moebius-Roedelius Old Land (Relativity CD)...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Spruce likes this.
  7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Many thanks....still a bit confusing...

Are the 1990 Castle and the 1998 A&M the same masterings for Electric Warrior and T.Rex or are you saying you prefer the 1998 A&M?

Re Slider, that's good because I have found a reasonably priced RAPCD503.

As for Tanx, the prices for the Marc On Wax are a bit too high for me but I have seen some positive comments about the 1994 Edsel and the figures here look good:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Any opinions on that one?

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Apologies but I have to ask this question. I am obviously not an audiophile, but I have /have had for eg many different copies of Electric Warrior, and they all sound fine to me.
    How come people on here rave about the castle releases from 20+ years ago, and how can they be better than for eg the much later Remasters done by Tony Visconti who produced the original album.
    If the castle CD is so revered and fantastic, why don't the record company just use that but in much better packaging?

9. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Those are very good, and relevant, questions. I certainly don't consider myself to be such an "audiophile" as many on here but I have spent a not inconsiderable amount on my set up and do appreciate good sound...if I can find it. I have the early (1990) Castle edition of Electric Warrior and haven't heard any other version so I couldn't possibly comment about those. I purchased that particular one after reading very good reviews from across the Internet. The first thing that struck me was how "quiet" it sounded. Particularly in relation to the majority of "modern" c.d.'s. I guess that's what they call the loudness wars. On first playing it I had to check my volume setting, I thought it may have been turned right down! No, it hadn't, but when I turned it up the full range was revealed. The bass is particularly nice, probably because Visconti produced it. The more I turned it up the better it sounded. Lovely and warm. Guess that's what they call "crankable." Just shows how many newer recordings have been ruined. I played the Stones latest Blue and Lonesome once and doubt I will ever play it again. Real ear bleeding stuff! On the strength of this 1990 Castle edition I have just ordered the 1988 Castle c.d. of Bolan Boogie. I imagine that I will be delighted with that as well, certainly hope so. Hope this helps.

bob60 likes this.
  10. Electric Warrior

They're different, but both good (and fairly similar I might add. the Castles have a bit more low end, but it's not a huge difference).

The Edsel has quite a bit of a treble boost. I like the Marc On Wax better.

RnRmf and bobcat like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have an original US Reprise CD of Electric Warrior, and it always sounded pretty much on par with the Marc On Wax or Cube CDs I have of the surrounding albums, so I didn’t put much more thought into it. How does that first US Reprise Electric Warrior CD stack up to the Castle version being discussed?

rstamberg and Bernard hansen like this.
  12. Southofi-10

Southofi-10 Well-Known Member

I have the Imperial records greatest hits that is a 2 disc set with 40 tracks.Made in Japan.
    It seems to me that the sound on this compilation is better than either of my edsil or demon issues.

13. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Got myself a 'History Of T. Rex Singles Collection Volume 1' (MARC-D 510), from Ebay for £4.00 including shipping! Love the sound quality on this disc and it has three out of my favourite four T. Rex songs on it. (20th Century Boy is on Volume 2). Children Of The Revolution, Jeepster and Get it On sound better on this comp than any other version i've heard yet.

RnRmf likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is a steal for sure. I got the other two volumes pretty recently at average prices and I agree they are very good sounding and almost exactly on par with the MARC and Teldec CDs of the albums I have. No Vol. 1s were available on discogs at the time but your link made me look again and so now hopefully one is coming.

15. DirkGentlyUK

I hope you find one to complete your collection. I don't see them for sale very often!

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I finally found a Vol 1 of the "History of T.Rex," last year, after keeping an eye out for years. It was like new, and was the Marc on Wax version vs. the shorter Greenline version. As a 3 cd set, they are a great overview. Sound is a bit pale compared to the Marc on Wax individual albums, I think, but they are really nice comps.

Worth noting, as has been mentioned in these forums before, is that the A&M Electric Warrior from 1998 has the channels reversed, but it is an incredibly transparent disc that sounds un-futzed with. I don't think the Reprise cd issues are as good as the UK/Euro issues. I'm a big fan of the Castle, as well, because of it's warmth, and bass, as has been noted.
    The Reprise DVD-A is really nice, though. The various SACD issues are great and are my references, for this album, in the end, though.

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

1980s Castle's.

18. Southofi-10

Southofi-10 Well-Known Member

Got my code 90 slider cd today.Apparently yhe same master as the edsel,and why wouldn't be?It's marketed by demon-edsel. Oh well.I think it's much better than the chronicles issue.
    Yeap. Don't need 3 slider disc.Chronicles isue is going to ebay.
    I'll keep the edsel issue for the alternative disc.

19. I have an original US Electric Warrior and it draws you in and never lets you go. Fine cd indeed.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

As good as that red book cd gets!
    The Slider is a whole different can of worms.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  21. DirkGentlyUK

I bought one used on your recommendation and you weren't wrong! It's a gorgeous sounding disc. Very clean and natural sounding for their catalogue, but with plenty of depth. No harshness either! I ripped it and then swapped the channels in Audacity. :)

Electric Warrior and RnRmf like this.
  22. Electric Warrior

Right, it's an easy fix.

RnRmf likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a Electric Warrior (mini lp sleeve) with bonus cuts. Must be from the 90's. Sounds great.

24. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Electric Warrior is a warm sounding recording to start, imo, so the "hands off" approach it sounds like a&m took, works well. The other titles that a&m released at around the same time don't fare as well although the approach seems to be the same. For those earlier albums i'd go with the most recent remasters, for overall pleasing sound. But if you're interested in the earlier albums the a&m issues sound like plain transfers without manipulation. They sound thin and don't have the most realistic tonality - issues resolved to my satisfaction on the latest Universal deluxe remasters.

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The original Reprise CD still sounds damn fine. I love the surround DVD-Audio Disc and SACD, too.

joelee and bmoregnr like this.