Marie Antoinette (PBS)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Mar 28, 2023.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Just started this, and it looks intriguing although the history involved is way beyond my awareness.

The young man to whom the 14 year old Marie Antoinette is married is the future Louis XVI. He reminds me of Keanu Reeves!

Anyone else seen this?

audiomixer and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I started watching it! I am really enjoying it !

audiomixer and John B Good like this.
  3. John B Good

This is delicious.

Hard to follow the machinations especially if one is not a student of the era's history. I think I need to watch each episode twice to get a sense of some of the plots. I trust the DVD if I get it will not feature the language censoring on PBS.

I had a friend who would occasionally say "I'd rather be a lamp-post in New York City, than King of France."

Watching this tiny clique of inbred divine right royals and their marriage plans and schemes affect the lives of hundreds of millions of other humans is mind boggling. Is today's world that much different?

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My wife is watching all of it and I've seen bits of it.
    It's neat to see Versailles in it as we visited it a few years ago, including Marie Antoinette's cottage on the grounds.

audiomixer and fretter like this.
  5. John B Good

The latest episode could have been titled Designing Women.

I do hope I will be able to get a DVD set of this mini-series. In the meantime I have ordered a copy of the Norma Shearer classic movie.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. John B Good

Now watching this on DVD, and getting what the PBS broadcast censored.

I understand there will be a season 2 broadcast. Though I suppose I will not be able to get a physical release version. :(

7. John B Good

Well, Ive finished the DVD set and found something very puzzling.

There is a plot that has to do with the circulation of pictures from what would have been a Pillow Book. And everytime one of the pictures is shown, it is seriously blurred!

Since the DVD (unlike the PBS broadcast) features uncensored language and multiple simulated sex acts, I don't understand why these images would have been blurred.