Marillion Album By Album Thread (Continued)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Apr 10, 2020.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

If you like Script, Fugazi will not disappoint!

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m really hoping the ball doesn’t get dropped on Fugazi in the deluxe edition. The album needs to be remixed and it needs better lower end as the original sounded quite edgy and overly bright --- almost so bright that the sound was brittle.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was surprised, but the word on the street... sorry I can't remember the source, said Fugazi is up next

4. moomoomoomoo

IMO, Marillion likes brittle (I don't) & from a sound quality pov, all the boxes have been poorly done (at least the 2.0 sections; I don't have a 5.1 set up).

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

Hell, that would be awesome if it was and I certainly wouldn’t complain as I’m interested in hearing a remix.

6. mark winstanley

I'm much less sensitive to sound quality.
    The 5.1's mainly sound good to me, but they need someone with a wiser ear to mix them.

7. Mirror Image

I don’t hear any brittleness in any of the remasters/remixes from the deluxe sets. I do hear one poorly done remix (Clutching at Straws) and two that were surprisingly good (Afraid of Sunlight and Brave). I also quite liked the newer Script For A Jester’s Tear despite the negative remarks on the loudness of the mix.

JulesRules likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Marillion website 12 march 2014 Fugazi.

Sorry on my phone can't link it

9. Mirror Image

Okay, well the 13th of March 2014 marked the 30th Anniversary of the album. I can’t find anything on Marillion’s site that says Fugazi will be the next deluxe edition that will be released.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    mark winstanley likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Sorry too many beers, misread it.
    I can't remember where I saw it.....
    It was while I was doing the 5.1 review for Script last Sunday...
    Sorry mate, if I find it, I'll share it.

Mirror Image likes this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yes Fugazi is next. Confirmed by Marillion on Facebook. Then they finish off the last 2 EMI H era albums.

ytserush, Gavaxeman and Mirror Image like this.
  12. Mirror Image

Thanks, gents. :shtiphat:

13. moomoomoomoo

Fugazi is likely the last I'll spend real money on. I'm good with my standard Hogarth releases. MAYBE Season's.............

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be cool if for the Seasons End deluxe edition they include the entire home movie one of the band members' wives filmed at a pub for Steve H's first show with the band that's seen in the Stoke Row DVD?

JulesRules and PTgraphics like this.
  15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

When I wasn't too familiar with Marillion and heard (I think) "Lavender" for the first time, I definitely thought it was Gabriel singing at first. It's funny, once you become more familiar with a band, you tend to see the differences. But it's like people who say that all blues sounds the same; unfamiliarity means you're getting a general idea, but not the full picture.

I think he was fine until maybe in the last few years, where you can hear him starting to struggle on the live recordings and generally getting a bit "rustier" for wont of a better word. Considering the man's age though, I think he's not bad at all. Not many singers can go out every night, do demanding stuff like "The Great Escape" or "The Space" and not have a bit of wear & tear after a while.

16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I meant the mastering of the original CDs (Japanese, US & UK ) are the same

moomoomoomoo and PTgraphics like this.
  17. Mirror Image

I remember getting into Van der Graaf Generator around the same time as Marillion (I was already a massive Genesis fan since I was a kid) and thinking Fish sounded more like Hammill than Gabriel. As for Hogarth, I like his voice better as a younger man. It was more well-rounded. I think too often or, at least, for the past decade or so he has tried singing above his range and the musical results haven’t been satisfying at all. I never have been truly impressed with Fish or Hogarth as vocalists, though, but that’s a topic for another thread. :)

Instant Dharma and JulesRules like this.
  18. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

You would have liked the Script show I saw in 1983 - Hammill was the support!

Mirror Image likes this.
  19. Mirror Image

Hammill’s own solo career has been quite good. I would have really liked to have seen that particular concert. I bet Marillion were great.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I so wish I could learn to love this album, but it just does nothing for me.

21. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

They were indeed. Hammill's had an interesting solo career - I haven't followed it closely but I've liked what I've heard. I think Fish was quite a fan (hence his place as support on the tour) so your theory about his influence on Fish probably holds a lot of water!

22. Mirror Image

Fugazi is a tough album to love for me as well. I do like Jigsaw and Incubus. Punch and Judy is also quite good.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Became a fan after reading about them endlessly in Kerrang and getting my local record shop guy to play me Market Square Heroes. Loved all the Fish-era albums, but never been able to get into either his solo stuff or the Hogarth ones. Script and Childhood have always been my favourites, developed a new love for Clutching via the 5.1 mix, and whilst Fugazi has always been my least favourite, I hope the new mix of that will bring it to my ears anew.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  24. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I love Fugazi ... really looking forward to the box set

moomoomoomoo, ytserush and craigobau like this.
  25. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That's really where it all begins. Well, there are the series of demos, Roxon, Fair Deal, etc... but those are rather primitive although you get a rough idea.

But yeah, The Market Square Heroes EP. I think that's right up there with the first album, though I've had an epiphany of late with Grendel after being immersed in the Script Deluxe Box of late.

But the foresight to have written something like Market Square Heroes at such an early stage. Even though this band did not suddenly come out of nowhere and they did pay their dues as a live band. To use their experience at that point to come up with a song like that is very inspiring and I think it has aged extremely well. It's got encore written all over it.