Marillion "Clutching At Straws" box set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Sep 6, 2018.

1. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Suprised that Steven Wilson is not involved!

Matt S likes this.
  3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I'm all over this..! A great album and a none too shabby tour to support it.

Antx, Rocat and nsmith1002 like this.
  4. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Great news. My favourite Fish-Era album. Some heartbreaking lyrics from the big man on this record. The documentary should be intestinal. Slainte!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'm excited about this, didn't bother with the Misplaced Childhood set, but for me this is their masterpiece so I'll be signing up for this one

ramdom, Jerquee, Shak Cohen and 2 others like this.
  6. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

reverberationmusic and albertop like this.
  7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Great news.
    There's lot of love for this album on here.

Carlox and CBS 65780 like this.
  8. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

He said he wasn't due to do any more Marillion albums after Brave. We knew he wouldn't be doing Clutching At Straws.
    I'm still very enthusiastic about this announcement.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Met too as I believe he said he would be involved in this project. But I'm sure he must have a full plate with the other remixes he's working on as well as his own musical career.

10. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Oh yes, my favourite Marillion album, great news indeed.

11. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I still don't get the fuss surrounding Misplaced Childhood, compared to this masterpiece!

Matt S likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

13. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Box Set Christmas!!!

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

15. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

The 'White Russians' demo from the last re-issue seems to be missing from the track listing on Racket Records' site - ?

16. gary191265

Mirror Image likes this.
  17. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Having got Misplaced signed by the rest of the band I should get Clutching signed by Fish. Looking forward to this. I was at the Birmingham gig a few days after the show included in the box. First ever proper gig!

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I've never actually heard of Andy and Avril, but finding that Avril worked with Chris Kimsey originally shouldn't at all be a bad thing. Will place an order soon. Can't wait!

19. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I was there too. Not my first gig though!

Sevoflurane likes this.
  20. gary191265

I was there too, my last Marillion gig out of about 10. Lost all interest after Fish left.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Yep, I heard about this announcement probably an hour ago. Next to Brave, Clutching at Straws is my favorite Marillion album. I have so much love for Clutching. Of course, I preordered it through Marillion’s website that way I’ll, at least, have one of the deluxe sets signed by the band. :righton: Too bad Fish and the others couldn’t sign them all together. It’ll be interesting to hear the bonus material and watch the documentary.

I do have one question: I wonder who did the 5.1 surround mix since it wasn’t Wilson?

Calling All Stations and Matt S like this.
  22. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Looks like the tracks included which were recorded just prior to Fish's departure are the same as those included on the CaS remaster from 2011, with nothing new added.

As much as i enjoy listening to those tracks, the end results we got on both Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors and Seasons End are far superior.

23. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

But to those that don’t have the 2011 remaster, which is just the same remaster from ’98 (or whenever those first remaster 2-CD releases came out), will be delighted to have those tracks I’m sure. Myself included. :cool:

Edit: As I thought, I already own these as well as I have that 2-CD remaster set from ’99.

Marillion - Clutching At Straws

Anyway, I think this edition is very much worth it. Firstly, for its’ collectability, and, secondly, for it’s 5.1 surround, live concert that was previously unreleased, and the documentary. Plus, I’m quite interested in hearing this new remix. :righton:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  24. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

There are about 4 new demos added in the new box - not on the 2CD remaster previously. However, as I said above, looks like one demo track from the 2CD issue ('White Russians') has been dropped - or the website linked to at the top of this thread has their track listing wrong!

ytserush likes this.
  25. SoundChaser42

SoundChaser42 Active Member

I've read that the 5.1 mix on the BR is only 48/24 instead of 96/24 like the other two 5.1 releases. Anyone know why? That and Steven Wilson not doing the mix are making me hesitate on buying this.

Matt S likes this.