Marillion...Clutching At Straws turns 30

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

Incredibly, I realized today that Clutching at Straws was released 30 years ago. I was (am) a huge fan of FISH era of this band. Misplaced Childhood was my prog anthem of the 80s. Something about CAS never grabbed me. So today, for maybe the 3rd time EVER, I listened to it end-to-end. And, my opinion is unchanged. I didn't agree with the rave reviews then and still don't. Have you listened to this recently? It is Mark Wilkinson's fav Marillion album. Is it yours? Mine will always be Misplaced Childhood.

warewolf95, FVDnz, ytserush and 2 others like this.
  2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Clutching at Straws is among my favourite albums.

FVDnz, JakeM and Shak Cohen like this.
  3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

WAY better than Misplaced Childhood...The Last Straw alone ensures that. The only song I don't like on the album is Incommunicado which always felt like a 3rd rate Who single and an obvious attempt at another hit.

ramdom, Carlox, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  4. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Big fan here. Got all the albums, seen them a few times across the years, first in '86, used to buy all the 12" singles as well. I said all the best freaks are here, please stop staring at me!

Anyway, I'd rank the Fish era studio albums same as the order they were released, with Script being easily the best.

Misplaced Childhood, for me, can go in that thread about albums where you only ever play one side. Sure the poppy hit singles were nice, dilly dilly, but side 2? Can't remember a damn thing about it, and ain't gonna bother jumping back in either.

But it's still better than Clutching At Straws, which has Sugar Mice, the nasty bit at the end of Slainthe Mhath, and maybe Incommunicado (although a cynic might say that's just a speeded up Market Square Heroes), but that's about it really.

head_unit and kwadguy like this.
  5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Masterpiece.

Rigsby, ramdom, Yost and 6 others like this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I started to listen to Marillion with Fugazi.
    They were my very first concert I've ever attented to. It was the Misplaced Childhood tour, I was 15.
    When Clutching came out, I was a bit disapointed. This is the Fish-era album I like the least.

Rufus McDufus and Sevoflurane like this.
  7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

C@S is my favorite Marillion album.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Can't believe its been 30 years, holy crap.

I don't currently own CaS, but I did for many years and will again, but I'm very familiar with the material. I still prefer Misplaced Childhood, but not by a lot. Its a great album and it reminds me of much better times.

MonkeysCantSwing likes this.
  9. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

CAS is my favourite Marillion album.

ramdom, LivingForever and Markyp like this.
  10. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I love Clutching At Straws. It's my second favourite Marillion album after Misplaced Childhood.

11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Clutching at Straws could easily be a desert island disc for me. I listen to it all the time, have for years, and it always feels fresh. The songwriting is top notch, both musically and lyrically. For me it’s undoubtedly Marillion’s high point and I wish Fish had been able to stay on after it. If you told me I could only listen to one Marillion album again for the rest of my life, I would pick Clutching at Straws without a second thought and would be happy.

ramdom, ifihadafish, Rigsby and 4 others like this.
  12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Great album. I listen to it more than Misplaced Childhood.

ytserush likes this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Clutching is ma jam, bruh.

Merrick likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Tux On should have made the album. In the cd age it would have.

15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I remember reading a review for this album when it was released. Some British magazine (Melody Maker? Can't recall now) and feeling utterly deflated when it got zero stars. Zero. Nada. Something about "endless false crescendos".

Probably my least favourite of the Fish era albums (I particularly like the opening suite and Going Under) but zero stars? Pffft.

--Geoff

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

It took me quite a while to warm up to Marillion - until Clutching at Straws, in fact. As luck would have it, then they went and changed lead singers and became an almost entirely different entity altogether (albeit gradually rather than instantly), so it's bound to be associated with rather mixed feelings on my part. I like it, though. Of the Fish-era albums I would say it's second only to Script for a Jester's Tear in my ranking.

The band went on to different great things with Steve Hogarth, so I don't particularly hanker for the Marillion of old. It may be just hindsight, but there's something in Clutching at Straws that tells me that this line-up had run its course. Maybe it's for the best that things went as they did.

17. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Add me to those who rate Clutching as Marillion's high water mark. Looking forward to seeing Fish do the album in its entirety in December.

18. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

After being blown away by MC, it took me a while to get into Clutching... but when I did it has become a firm fave of mine. An album that lyrically shows Fish at his best responding to both his personal situation and the world around him. Classic stuff.

ytserush likes this.
  19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Marillion have put out a number of great records over the last 30+ years, but CAS is still my desert island Marillion disc.

20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Brilliant album! I thought it was a perfect follow up to Misplaced Childhood. Agree slightly with comments regarding Incommunicado, however this was the era of Here I Go Again, Can I Play With Madness etc and those types of songs attracted radio play. I was fortunate to see thier last gig in St.Andrews on a perfect summers night following a day of heavy rain.

Was hoping we would see a deluxe reissue similar to the recent Misplaced Childhood hardback edition, but no sign of it....seems Brave is next

21. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Probably my favourite Marillion album, along with Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles. I really love some of the tracks that were released on the two-disc set in 1999. Songs like Beaujolais Day and Sunset Hill were great and, along with Fish’s first solo record, give a fascinated glimpse into where Marillion were heading prior to the split.

NorthNY Mark and Carserguev like this.
  22. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Love Clutching... Top tier Marillion in my book.

What a wonderful catalog of music these guys have put together over the years--I can't think of many bands working today that can match them.

ytserush likes this.
  23. Probably my most played album back in the 1980's.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

#1 Marillion record. Love it.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

A million times better than Incommunicaca.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.