Marillion...Clutching At Straws turns 30

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Perhaps they should have all had a year off from the band and done solo stuff.
    Then come back refreshed for another Marillion album.

Runicen and PTgraphics like this.
  2. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'm not even sure why I don't like Fugazi, I keep revisiting it assuming I missed something but I find it a little bit empty and I'm not sure why . I'll try again!!

I do like the demos on the bonus disc of CAS, some intriguing roads not taken there. I don't think either side benefitted from the split although I get the impression their sanity was at stake so I probably shouldn't be selfish :)

3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Fugazi is great. The original album production is a little lacking, but those songs have balls. I think the songs work better live.

4. 16s

16s Forum Resident

It’s all great. There was a magic never to be bettered surrounding Fish era Marillion. H is an awesome vocalist but Marillion (and Fish) meandered once separated. I am eternally grateful for those 4 Fish marillion albums. They can still bring me to tears.

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Misplaced Childhood has always been my favorite album, but nothing touches the Clutching At Straws Tour.

6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Even better live and I still dream about how Rothery would have sounded on it.

7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I find absolutely nothing ‘meandering’ about H-era Marillion. If anything, it’s diverse and musically enriching.

Norco74 and FVDnz like this.
  8. Mirror Image

Probably wouldn’t even matter that much since Fish never shuts up long enough to hear him.

9. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I think those demos give a great indication of what might have followed which why it always depresses me we didn't get one more album before it all fell apart.

Riccardo2 likes this.
  10. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Listen to "Chelsea Monday"

ytserush likes this.
  11. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Love this album !!!

ytserush likes this.
  12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just read an interview with Fish in Classic Rock that states :

"There's also the new anniversary edition of the final album he made with Marillion, Clutching At Straws, which is released withan accompanying DVD in November."

13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yes!! Cannot wait for this one.....

PJayBe likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

Well, I’ve now got my Christmas shopping done! :righton: The documentary, if they do one of these like the others, will be interesting to watch given how stressful and intense the recording sessions were.

PJayBe likes this.
  15. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Brilliant; made my day!

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Hopefully details will emerge soon.

17. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Has there been a thread about this before or is this the same one? Anyways, as my mother died an alcoholic (in 2011), this has incredible resonance and sentiment for me. A beautiful record about addiction. Which, maybe I said 7 pages ago...

NorthNY Mark and PJayBe like this.
  18. Much of the British press was (and to an extent still is) hung up on the punk/prog divide. For them, this was a political and territory-staking question that caused them to overvalue some punk music and undervalue some prog and classic rock. Real music fans knew that there were strong examples of music being made in both genres (and others) simultaneously. Marillion was and continues to be one of the good examples.

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have found the documentaries of the other two previous sets incredibly boring so far......but this might actually be quite interesting.

20. Mirror Image

The documentary for Brave was rather dull, but I enjoyed the one on Misplaced Childhood. It seemed the band were more animated.

PTgraphics likes this.
  21. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I think that's down to Fish being in the room

22. Mirror Image

Well, I think Brave over the years has been talked about so much that when it came time for the guys (plus Dave Meegan) to sit down and talk about the recording process and so forth, there wasn’t really much left to be said. Misplaced Childhood was such a huge success and the passage of time has been much longer than Brave. I think Fish also helped keep the conversation flowing a bit more --- Kelly seemed particularly enthusiastic during this documentary.

23. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

ytserush, PJayBe and OptimisticGoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.