Marillion "Fugazi" Deluxe Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:wtf:

An obi is a strip that is looped over one side or folded over the top or bottom of jackets, books, cd and dvd cases, and video games.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

i like the new mix of Script , just not the mastering. :cry:

moomoomoomoo and RockAddict like this.
  3. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

I know. I was being humourous.

Markyp, JulesRules and The Hud like this.
  4. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Only you can save us (from badly mastered CDs) Obi-Wan

head_unit, Markyp and JulesRules like this.
  5. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Obi is also the name of a hardware store in Germany.

wolfram likes this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Yes. It's definitely a mixed bag on the proper album. But I got this for the live show and the doc so I'm considering this another gift.

7. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

We got great gigs through these boxes. Montreal 1984, Utrecht 1985 and Edinburgh 1987. I love these boxes. The price is also great.

Rufus rag, ytserush and LivingForever like this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I really enjoy the concerts also. Just not the 24 bit mastering of the original remastered albums which was a huge disappointment to me.

ytserush likes this.
  9. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

The new mix of Fugazi is fantastic. Based on the interview about the band's disappointment and slow sales upon its original release, I feel they finally got it right

Eska68, Sevoflurane, sennj and 4 others like this.
  10. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

Anyone else finding the new mix/mastering on this Fugazi box set of the original album overly bright? Some of Steven Rothery's guitar solos make my ears hurt they are so bright. I found the same with the boxset remaster of Script tbh.

moomoomoomoo and RockAddict like this.
  11. JulesRules

I just read that in a couple of Amazon reviews too. After I didn't like the Clutching remix and skipped on Script, I'm not too hot on pulling the trigger on this one.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  12. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

I mean it could partly be system dependent - I have a fairly bright system built around Cyrus class D amplification which tends towards bright, but this takes it to a whole new level of bright

RockAddict likes this.
  13. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Fugazi 2021 is definitely on the bright side. If I didn't have a warmish sounding system, it would be a difficult listen (putting mixing / mastering matters to one side as separate debating points).

ytserush and moomoomoomoo like this.
  14. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

I actually found it less harsh than the original mix, but the compressed dynamics make it a frustrating listen.

ytserush likes this.
  15. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure this album was recorded and mixed bright. No mastering will fix that. In Assassing when Steve’s guitar comes in, it is recorded bright and thin. Steven Wilson in an interview recently said that these bright mixes are what is called in the industry ‘cocaine mixes’. Apparently when you are high on cocaine, you crank the treble more because it sounds exciting when high on it.

I just recently picked up a copy of Fugazi on a early German press vinyl and it sounds really nice. Very punchy. I will have to compare it to my 80’s CD master.

16. moomoomoomoo

Yes. I feel that way about the entire series.

17. moomoomoomoo

My system is voiced warm, & I find the series bright.

18. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I have the original EMI CD + the 1999 24 bit remaster CD and used to have the UK vinyl, all versions did always sound very bright in any version compared to e.g. "Script" or "Clutching". I have always experienced Fugazi to be a somewhat "bright hi-fi" recording. It just sounds cold/clinical

JulesRules likes this.
  19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I still need to get this but I’m still mostly ambivalent for this album on the whole and feel minimal urgency.

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It looks great next to all the others :)

Still need to find time to properly indulge in this set, it was the album which really made me aware of the band (I bought the Assassing 7") even though I didn't start buying their albums until Clutching came out.

Never owned Fugazi or anything other than the 1998 2-disc set so have little to compare the new mix with.

EG.

Rufus rag and JulesRules like this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...which I really really liked! This is my favorite album, biting in a way that should have gotten Fish hired into Pink Floyd to fill Roger Waters' shoes ha ha.

Can some UK Forumite expand about Punch and Judy? I know it's a puppet show, but feel there is some inner meaning to the lyrics that will escape foreigners. Is Judy always pranking Punch, like Lucy taking away the football from Charlie Brown? I'm especially referencing
    Propping up a bar, family car
    Sweating out a mortgage as a balding clerk
    World war three, suburbanshee
    Just slip her these pills and I'll be free​
    The lyrics are just so great, I never appreciated them before looking them up in detail. My second favorite Marillion song after "Assassing"; and I just love the 1-2 punch of those songs together.
    Washing machine, pinstripe dream
    Stripped the gloss from a beauty queen
    Found our nest, in the Daily Express
    Met the vicar in a holy vest
    Brought up the children Church of E
    Now I vegetate with a colour TV
    Worst ever thing that ever happened to me
    Oh, for D.I.V.O.R.C.E., oh Judy​

Plan9 and Instant Dharma like this.
  22. JulesRules

I see what you did there ;)
    I'm not from the UK but I think the main connection is that Punch & Judy are depicted as a quarreling couple. Punch and Judy - Wikipedia
    What Fish did when he was writing that lyric was imagining how hellish marriage must be. He later conceded that he was probably exaggerating. :laugh:

23. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Was that before or after marrying for the third time? :)

axel1975 and JulesRules like this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Heh, judging by some of Fish's personal posts on his website, he later later probably decided he was not acerbic enough! :eek:

axel1975 and JulesRules like this.
  25. JulesRules

I confess I don't know the date of that quote offhand - I'm sure I read it in eclipsed but it's possible they may have quoted from an interview he already did in the late 80s.

Still, AFAIK Fish never worked as a clerk and I don't think he has ever murdered a partner either :p