Marillion - Fugazi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Valen2260, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

As a teenager, I played this one a lot but the title track oddly never grabbed me. I remember being on the bus getting my GED and having Assassing blasting through my headphones, really great stuff.

Pete shines on this for sure, the bass melodies are great. Some classic Rothery soloing, and in my opinion some of the best lyrics Fish wrote period. I was just coming of age to sort of understand what he was on about on Incubus, but now it reads like a poetic masterpiece of a story that only Fish would think up. Assassing is equally good in this regard, Jigsaw is one of the saddest tracks they recorded and a personal favorite, and even though it's a common lyric the delivery makes it work on She Chameleon. Punch and Judy grooves but it does have a very, very British lyric and some questionable imagery, Emerald Lies feels a bit undercooked and Fugazi itself ends similar to Forgotten Sons, though maybe a bit less urgent. I'd still rank it at the bottom 4 of the 82-87 period but it's only due to the fact they had 3 other albums that could make my top 50 all time.

So, some very good lyrics and songs, and a handful of decent material. I found it on vinyl a while back and it's one of the nicest sounding LPs I have from the era.

JulesRules, head_unit and carlwm like this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Both versions of Cinderella Search are great. As an album I don’t listen to it a lot but I do enjoy it.

head_unit likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Not a "versus" thread,no. Now personally, my first exposure to Hogarthrillion was Six Of One... and while I liked "Easter" very much, the other Hogarth tracks didn't grab me. It was not until recently I started getting into their post-Fish stuff more. So I AM curious about the perception of the band, which has been fronted by Hogarth for far longer, and the Fish days are now far in the past. Is Marillion still regarded as "Oh those Fish days were great, wouldst they should return!" or more like "Who the hell is Fish?"??

4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

In their fanbase, no.

In the wider music listening fanbase - yes.

The bigger issue exposure, really for the Hogarth records.

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Awesome album.

Does get overlooked I would agree.

No way is it "the weakest of their first trilogy". :crazy:

Surprised too that Marillion are even mentioned on this forum.

6. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I didn't discover the album for many years later so I have no nostalgic attachment to it.

It depends on my mood if it works for me or not.

'Misplaced' and 'Clutching' work for me every time.

anduandi likes this.
  7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I got into all four around the same time, and at that time, hearing Jigsaw kind of sold me in terms of my god this is utterly depressing that Marillion can only do again and again without feeling empty - Brave might be their most depressing record despite being their most non personal at the same time

Most of all, this is SR and his ability to project melodic guitar solos onto any musical or lyrical bummer better than anyone else, at least in the amount of times he's managed to more or less repeat what he did on the first album and have it sound new on every track he plays on.

JulesRules and carlwm like this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

My favorite Marillion album.
    Favorite songs: Emerald lies & Incubus.

JulesRules and carlwm like this.
  9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I saw Marillion at the Rock am Ring concert in May 1985, about a month before Misplaced came out.

They opened with Assassing, and the crowd went nuts! I've never seen so many people jumping up and down in usison, ever, at any concert I've ever attended.

They also played Script, Fugazi, Garden Party, and the Misplaced suite, which was amazing, even though nobody was familiar with the music.

I spoke with Mark Kelly later in Stuttgart in 2001, and he told me that the Rock am Ring show was the largest crowd Marillion had ever played for, and that Assassing still stuck in his mind from that show.

JulesRules and ytserush like this.
  10. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

There best album with Fish. Clutching at Straws was a major disappointment, Two great tracks the rest is plodder!

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

A bit thin sonically but I love it other than that.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

You're not alone.

Well....OK..... I don't rave about Brave about half of Afraid Of Sunlight and Less Is More.

Thoughtships likes this.
  13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I wish saw that tour. Fortunately, they left some pretty convincing live evidence.

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

With THAT as your avatar, you must love every Marillion album! ;)

As for Fugazi, I love it. Fish's voice will probably divide people here as he sings really, really high for most of it. Come to think of it, he was probably high on recreational substances too. But I love the angry stuff and the verbose, at times, impenetrable lyrics. You can kind of tell he was influenced by Peter Hammill here.

JulesRules and Thoughtships like this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Think there is a you tube video of all or part of that show.

It's pretty intense.

JulesRules and Aggie87 like this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I went and did some cursory looking through and it doesn't appear as though they have done ANY of the Fugazi material in Hogarth's tenure with the band. They do something from each of the other ones, but nothing...I wonder if its a vocal thing or is it just too cumbersome word wise.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Shortly after Hogarth joined Marillion, he mentioned that he couldn't relate to the Fugazi material enough to do it justice as a vocalist. I respect him for his decision. I can't quite see H tackling "Incubus"; it's so inescapably Fish, IMO.

18. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

My favourite Marillion album, always loved the title track.

Rufus rag likes this.
  19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Bonkers, CAS is a masterpiece, best thing they ever did.

20. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

Probably my least favorite of the first four albums, but I still very much enjoy it. I'm a big Marillion Fan, including Hogarth-Marillion; I'd rate Fugazi
    in the top half of all of their work (but it doesn't come close to CAS - which is a top -5 desert island album for me).

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

That one is probably one of the most obtuse and incredibly well written lyrics in anything I've heard.

JulesRules and Markyp like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I came in marillion with the first album and the track "He Knows You Know," which I initially heard on KFOG (Bay Area). I thought it was Peter Gabriel, and commented "cool, Peter's getting back to a Genesis sound."

Loved the first album and still think that's their best.

But I wasn't majorly disappointed with Fugazi, which is a bit weaker overall, but of a piece with the debit.

I still prefer the first two albums to everything else.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    sunking101 and Rufus rag like this.
  23. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Still my favourite album of theirs, they`ve never done a better album side than the second half of this and Incubus is the best track of the Fish era IMHO

24. It's a much better album than Script. Having a better drummer helped.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Perhaps the distinction needs to be made between the strength of the music & lyrics vs the production. I recall several anecdotes by Marillion members referencing issues with limited time to write and record but, most of all, a MAJOR issue with trying to get the production finished with, allegedly, the producer (Nick Tauber) being shredded to the point of being close to a nervous breakdown. NT never worked with the band again.

For me, there are 4, arguably 5, really strong songs on Fugazi (not a massive fan of P&J or She Chameleon) and any weakness(es) are in the production. Someone posted earlier s/he thought the sound was "thin" - I'd agree with that. Live versions are much much stronger with vastly superior depth to the sound.

As it happens, my respect for Fish as a person, distinguished from writer/artist, is vastly diminished (long story) so the enjoyment of listening to any Fish-related material is rather limited nowadays. Sadly, that includes all of Marillion's material with him which is a real shame considering how good so much of it is. Anyway, I digress...

ytserush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.