Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear 4/3/2020 Deluxe Edition (4CD/Blu ray/4LP) + Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I think this record already sounds very nice a show from 1982 and a 90 minute doc are exactly the sort of thing I want from these reissues.

2. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Not sure if the track listing is reliable but it seems extremely odd that the Market Square Heroes EP has been remixed in stereo but not 5.1. A great shame and omission if so.

Also no original mix in hi-rez on the BluRay...

These releases may be modelled on the Jethro Tull ones but this one doesn't come close in terms of content in comparison. Still, I am looking forward to hearing the surround of the main album.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Ordered this morning

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

5. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Looking forward to more Marillion.

Marillion confirmed over on Facebook that Season's End and Holidays in Eden will also be released in deluxe editions next year.

Catcher10, Thorpy, ytserush and 5 others like this.
  6. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

im going to assume an oversight on their part regarding there being no hi-rez original mix and that there probably is one. Would be weird to suddenly not include that

JulesRules likes this.
  7. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Was looking forward to this as have enjoyed the Misplaced and Clutching sets recently... However this one seems a bit light on material (no demos - ?) They haven't even included the bonus material from the last 2CD reissue - ?! If the documentary on the BR is as shoddily put together (and utterly unexciting) as the one in the Clutching set that will be a great shame. Will give the remix a listen and if I like it I'll probably just buy that when it's out as a stand alone. Live shows are always great but this isn't my favourite live period of theirs and there's plenty of bootlegs out there for this period already.

Why CD2 looks like it will only clock in at around 30 mins is a mystery - really, there was nothing else to fill it up with?!

I was really interested in this but like many others (I've spoken with on other Forums) who've known the track listing for about a week now I think it's a missed opportunity, content wise. Damn shame. Still, I guess I'll pick it up in the future for completion if I see a copy at £15-20 secondhand.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Whilst I will continue to purchase these (started so I will finish!!) I do find them a tad underwhelming. There's a lack of consistency, documentaries are rather dull, and it seems a rather incomplete picture of the period, whereby you have to buy other sets if you want to have the full picture (and/or find some Blu ray rip method). Look nice on the shelf alongside the vastly superior Tull sets, but I have hardly played the damn things. Ironically Brave (my least favourite Marillion album) was IMO the most interesting set so far.

RockAddict, JulesRules and Who'sTommy like this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I think the issue with archival stuff is I actually doubt Marillion has tapes that are any good from this era which are in good enough shape - My guess is from looking at their live set, almost their entire output in 1983 combined leading me to believe that they wasted no studio time for demo material.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Can’t help but get this, I will order from Fish’s website so I have it signed by him.

11. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

I'm just surprised they didn't at least repeat some of the bonus disc content from the 2CD deluxe a few years back on CD2 of the new set - better than empty space!

GRompre68 and ytserush like this.
  12. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Wake me when they get to Marbles. ;)

William K and danielbravo like this.
  13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I was hoping, like all the rest of these reissues, that the bonus content would be included from the 2cd releases but sound better. I have the 2 singles box sets and all those 2 cd sets, I think they sound bad though, so I am not missing it. Just would have been nice in one neat package.

14. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Agreed.... I believe the next release is going back to H era... Holidays in Eden.

Thorpy likes this.
  15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Makes the package a tad pointless to be honest if your not going to do it properly. These are definitely not essential sets.

I'm also a bit concerned that this is remixed by Andy Bradfield and Avril Mackintosh again - they didn't exactly do an amazing job with Clutching At Straws

16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Just EMI stuff...

17. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm severely underwhelmed by these sets so far. I didn't even pick up the AOS one from last fall. I realized that each one's choice of extras has let me down in significant ways and not only that, I've only listened to the remixes a few times, at most. The new mixes didn't do much for me. I think I'd have preferred simply better remasters of the original mixes. Maybe I'm just not as into Marillion anymore, I don't know, but I've got the first three of these piled up for consideration to sell off. Shame since I have the signed posters for Clutching and Brave (Childhood is signed directly onto the box, if I remember correctly. That's how little I've interacted with it - I can't even remember how it was signed.) Maybe soon I'll seek out a caring home for them from someone here on SH.tv.

RockAddict and Doggiedogma like this.
  18. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I have enjoyed all of the sets so far and have ordered this one this morning. Bearing in mind his less than amicable departure from, and subsequent comments about, the band, I am really interested to hear what Mick Pointer has to say in the documentary. From comments posted by Marillion’s manager over the past few years on Facebook, it seemed that he wasn’t wanting to get involved initially, so it is good that most of the players involved in the early years of the band are on board (no Brian Jelliman or Doug Irvine).

ytserush likes this.
  19. Phillip Walch

Correction: Fugazi will be released next, then Season's End and Holidays in Eden next year.

PTgraphics likes this.
  20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Do you think they will be able to round up the multiple ex Marillion drummers for the documentary? They did go a bit Spinal Tap between Pointer and Mosley...

ytserush likes this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Andy Ward isn't gonna show

I can't believe he was that close to a second wind like that, damn.

22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Okay, he might show - I actually had in my mind that he passed away, but no. I have no clue how that happened.

Two years later he resurfaced briefly with the neo-progressive rock band Marillion, appearing in the video of the hit single "Garden Party" from their debut album Script for a Jester's Tear and performing with them for three months as a replacement for their original drummer, Mick Pointer, who had recently been sacked. Ward's performances with the band included an appearance on the BBC's The Old Grey Whistle Test when they performed "Forgotten Sons". According to Mark Kelly, Ward had been recruited to the band without a proper audition because of his reputation. However, as both Kelly and Fish have recalled, his personal problems had resurfaced and he succumbed to a near nervous breakdown midway through the band's first American tour.

23. Phillip Walch

That would be interesting watching. Jon Mover has a credit on Fugazi so I guess he should interviewed if he is willing.

24. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Joy to the people and Marillion that remain an active re-issue campaign! Everyone are entitled to make money!

Victor Martell likes this.
  25. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Isn't the Marquee show on this the same as the one on the (now out-of-print) Early Stages set? Or am I getting dates wrong?