Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear 4/3/2020 Deluxe Edition (4CD/Blu ray/4LP) + Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The Marquee show in the new Script box was 29th December 1982 and previously unreleased according to the Marillion website. The show in the Early Stages set is 30th December 1982 (just got the set off the shelf and checked).

2. Antx

Antx Forum Resident

ytserush likes this.
  3. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

The show is the night after the one on Early Stages - but will doubtless be pretty much identical!

Tom B likes this.
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The Early Stages show is an absolute barn-stormer, my favourite Marillion show by far. The 29th will have to go some to beat it.

GRompre68 and ytserush like this.
  5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Night before (29th) for the Script box, 30th for Early Stages. According to set list.fm the set lists were the same both nights. They also played the 28th but with a different set list.

Marillion Concert Setlists (page 162)

ytserush likes this.
  6. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Sorry - am tired - meant to say 'before' - knackered!

Sevoflurane likes this.
  7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That's the only one I passed on (least favorite too.) Most of that Brave live gig was already previously released anyway.

I'm in for the rest because I need more of those legendary live gigs.

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

It will at least be equaled. I will never get enough of Marillion live gigs.

Ghost of Ziggy and edenofflowers like this.
  9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Andy Ward has had less than charitable things to say about the band when asked, so despite his still being among the living I'm not sure he'd be anxious to participate. Just speculation, of course.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I usually prefer to order from Marillion but in the case of the early albums, I just have to have Fish’s signature, the other members signing without him is just daft.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Grabbed this one and the Afraid of Sunlight set from the band's web site. Not going to miss out on any of these sets.

12. Olias of Sunhill

Sorry to be vague. I found the passage I was looking for here.

"They were very narrow in their musical tastes; it was all E.L.P. and Yes types of things and little else. They had a ridiculous opinion of themselves but after playing with musician the calibre of Camel I found I had to play down to their level of competence, which was very frustrating musically. I appeared in the Garden Party video and did some British dates and then in the states. There was a lot of friction between us, it all came to a head in New York supporting Todd Rundgren, and there's Fish standing at the side of the stage ranting, "we shouldn't be supporting this ****, we're ten times better than this cosmic rabbit", and I just did my nut. How dare he slag off someone the calibre of Todd Rundgren, who, quite frankly, had more talent in his pinky than the whole of Marillion, me included. Things got quite heated, and I shoved him in the chest, to be honest this was just the last day in a long line of pathetic and niggly incidents with the band. Three days later I was asked up to the managers room and fired. It was hard seeing them at number one the year after, thinking that could be me on Top of the Pops! Actually I quite liked Fish, we generally got on well together, he was the real talent within the band at that time, I think." --Andy Ward

olegrayman and ytserush like this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Ordering from Racket or Fish makes more sense than giving Amazon more money, I give them enough. :)

ytserush and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  14. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Tough comments there. I guess following someone like Andy Latimer is hard.

15. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

He's being a bit harsh on them. I remember buying the Script tour programme, where each member cited their favourite bands, and I don't recall ELP being on the list.

Camel were on the list, as The Snow Goose was a common favourite among the five. So was Floyd's Wall, Van Der Graaf, Hammill's "Over album", Yes' Close To The Edge and Rush's 2112, and of course Genesis.

And from what I recall of the press interviews during 83-84, Fish was always at great pains to promote the band's street cred and cite alternative and punk bands as influences, to avoid the prog tag. (Although describing The Floyd's Animals album as punk was probably stretching it, even for Fish...)

Interesting comparison with Rundgren though - both acts are prone to indulgent moments these days.

16. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I second that, THE concert I am going back to most often is the Marquee Club concert from The Early Stages. It's the energy!!

Although it's the same set list, I am glad they included the set of December 29th on this coming box set.

ytserush and edenofflowers like this.
  17. Olias of Sunhill

Agreed with the band's influences... they were more diverse than critics would acknowledge. I certainly don't accept Ward's comments as true, especially knowing what a low place he was in while a member of Marillion. But unless something has changed over the decades, it seems like both sides would like to forget his brief tenure in the band.

ytserush likes this.
  18. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I know this is the wrong thread here but I wonder how Andy Ward is doing now. I always loved his drumming with Camel.
    The last I heard of him was that he was living in Freiburg, Germany (beautiful city by the way), not touring anymore due to manic-depression (bipolar disorder). The illness is now under control but an irregular life style, as you get with touring, has to be avoided by all means.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  19. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Well, they did include the Reading 83 set in their early stages Box Set, and I think he played on that. But it was a very brief tenure, with very little output before Mosley joined - there's probably precious little in the archives.

If you think about it, Fugazi came out almost exactly a year after Script, with lots of touring inbetween, so the band probably didn't have a lot of leftover material before Fugazi was released. That may be one reason why Punch and Judy's b-sides were re-recordings of Market Square Heroes and Three Boats (as well as producing "smoother versions" for the American market).

ytserush likes this.
  20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

As I have both the original vinyl (U.S. pressing in gatefold sleeve) and the import CD I think I'm going to pass on this set. Steven Wilson--or someone else of his calibre--not being involved is also a strike against purchasing. I hope things improve for Fugazi, but I'm not hopeful.

21. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Misplaced Childhood contains simply a better remaster of the original mixes. It's my preferred stereo (re)mastering. I also like the live content very much on the MC deluxe.

JulesRules, ytserush and DPM like this.
  22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I've pretty much given up on Amazon.

23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

All of those gigs were undeniable energy.

GRompre68 likes this.
  24. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

There were demos on the 2-CD, including a longer version of "Grendel" that I consider superior to the finished take. And the Album-by-Album thread had a lot of pre-LP demos mentioned. It's a shame that the journey to Script is now not represented at all.

Seems strange to have a working pattern (Fish vs. Hogarth) and then upset it halfway through...
    Not just that - I know Mark Kelly actually slagged off ELP at the time, saying Marillion isn't as technically proficient as ELP, but that they're capable of constructing a song... unlike ELP. (I'm not so sure that's true anymore, at least on the most recent album! But that's another topic...)

25. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

John Marter played drums at Reading. I videoed that but it was a bit of a disaster, no idea what happened to the tape but I've still got the Twelfth Night one from the day before which I lent to them for a DVD release.

You're right about the leftover material, they only had Institution Waltz and She Chameleon left over after recording Script. They'd played both live through '82, gave SC its debut at Friars in June and brought IW back into the set in a new arrangement but it never really took off and was dropped fairly soon after. Never liked the Fugazi version of She Chameleon, thought it was much better in its original incarnation.

I knew them quite well at the time and Andy Ward's comments about their musical tastes are way off the mark. Nobody liked ELP as far as I remember, everybody was into Genesis, Yes, Floyd and Crimson, Pete into some new wave stuff also, Fish and Mark into Van der Graaf and Hammill. Mark was also into Todd Rundgren which is pretty ironic considering the last straw with Andy Ward was when he had a bust-up with Fish for slagging off Todd when they were supporting him.

ytserush and edenofflowers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.