Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear 4/3/2020 Deluxe Edition (4CD/Blu ray/4LP) + Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Did some of that make it onto Youtube? I saw a video re-creation of some of that set - Ceiling Speaks and Sequences - on YT and enjoyed it. As someone who only saw TN once, and that was after Geoff left.

[QUOTE=" Fish and Mark into Van der Graaf and Hammill. .[/QUOTE]

I didn't pick up on it then, but now, listening to Script, Hammill's influence is all over that album, from the lyrics and phrasing, to the whispered voices in left or right channels.

When I saw them on that tour, I didn't quite get Hammill (a bit too left field for a newbie to take in live), but I remember some wags shouting out "They should be supporting you!" :winkgrin:

2. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Twelfth Night - they were one of four neo prog groups that I think I had the first live album from 1982 as long as 5 years ago, but never heard. I can't remember all four however.

IQ
    Marillion
    Twelfth Night
    Pendragon? They didn't appear until 85 though and not in full until the years later

I think the last pure neo prog album I discovered was IQ - The Wake, and I still play that one - I just wish I could remember what that other band was in this four neo prog classic lineup.

Was it Pallas? I actually have The Sentinel but the suite always felt a bit long for me.

3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Almost certainly Pallas. Their first album was also live (Arrive Alive). And it’s great by the way..!

The only other possibility I can think of is Solstice. Their first album was (I think) released at the same time (Silent Dance). - I loved that album at the time but, unlike the other bands mentioned, they were never picked up by a major record company.

(There were loads of ‘neo-prog’ bands at that time...

4. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Was on his Facebook

6. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

Pallas, Pendragon and Solstice were the other notable bands that all came up around the same time, Pallas just slightly ahead of the other two. There were a few others like Tamarisk and Quasar - Sue Robinson who was in Solstice for a short time joined them.

Pendragon, by the way, were a bit earlier than '85. They go back to the late 70s although it wasn't until the early 80s that they sorted out their musical direction. Saw them supporting Marillion a few times in '82 including The Marquee at least once and they were at the'83 Reading Festival along with most of the other new prog bands. Can't abide that neo-prog term at all though, and all the guys in the bands I've mentioned it to hate it as well. Pete Nicholls of IQ has a particular dislike of it.

Solstice are well worth checking out. First saw them in '82 when they were a four piece, before adding a girl vocalist, finally settling on Sandy Leigh with whom they recorded their debut Silent Dance, although there had been a few cassette releases before that. Were managed by Guy Hewison, Marillion's original manager by the way. Still going, although only Andy Glass is left from the original band.

If you want to go further with IQ then try Subterranea, just brilliant.

ries likes this.
  7. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

They left Cinderella Search off the album.

8. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Surely there's more than just Steven bloody Wilson all the flipping time?

sunking101, ytserush and Kiss73 like this.
  9. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

Yes, some of it has made it onto YouTube, looking at it now and the quality is okay but a notch down on the original. The sound on the original tape was pretty distorted, which is why nothing was done with it earlier, so we had to bide our time until technology caught up and they were able to synch the Friday Rock Show audio to it.

You can still buy the DVD direct from the band - Reading Rock ’83 » Twelfth Night

Loved them back then, and also in their pre-Geoff incarnation as a purely instrumental outfit, never saw them in the brief period with Electra though. Sort of lost interest after Geoff left, just couldn't take to Andy Sears at all I'm afraid.

Oh yes, Fish was a big Hammill fan. When people were slagging him for ripping off Gabriel they seemed to miss the point that he was really ripping off Hammill. That's a joke by the way before anyone jumps to his defence, however I'm still convinced he lifted the first line of Script, almost intact, from PH's Autumn from the Over album.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  10. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

I have signed Misplaced Childhood ...:agree:

ytserush likes this.
  11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Wait a sec. I bought Script the day it came out in the USA. I was working in a large chain record store then and I was friendly with the Capitol rep, who got me a Marillion press kit. The Script we got did not have a gatefold sleeve. In fact, I was pissed off at that and I repurchased the vinyl in Germany Jun '83 just to get the lyrics (inside the gatefold). Where/when did you live/buy it in the US that had the gatefold? Maybe they reissued it with the gatefold after the success of Misplaced Childhood?

12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

No repress for the US market.

I checked and I don't think any US issues of Marillion have a gatefold. I know Childhood has one, Fugazi also has no gatefold - I have both and neither have a gatefold. I didn't even know Fugazi had one...

I'm kind of upset too

BwanaBob likes this.
  13. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Had “The Sentinel” on vinyl in 1984.
    Funnily enough rebought it again for £5 this afternoon to replace the one I sold in my great vinyl purge of 1996. :righton:

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I picked it up used a few years ago. However, I also had purchased the vinyl back in '83 when the album first can out, and that one was NOT a gatefold. That copy was sold when I foolishly sold off most of my records back in the great vinyl purge of 1992. (ARGH!!!)

I just did a search on Discogs, and the LP is definitely the U.S. Capitol purple label pressing. Yet, the gatefold has U.K. numbers. Hmmm, it's possible that a previous owner may have switched out the U.K. pressing for the U.S. for some reason. Or I have an anomaly.

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yip, I don't get it either....sure the Tull sets sound great, but I would more than happily have someone else finish the sets if he gives up.....but that said.....Andy Bradfield and Avril Mackintosh are definitely not my alternative choices based on Clutching

Thoughtships likes this.
  16. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Yes, I saw Hammill supporting them on the Script tour too, at the Royal Court in Liverpool. I got my copy of the album signed by Fish around that time when he appeared on a local radio show. What a groupie I was back in the day!

But you really should check out the most blatant piece of plagiarism in music you'll ever hear. Listen to the keyboards on Peter Hammill's song "Wilhelmina" from "The Silent Corner..." album. Listen to it from the 2.50 mark. Remind you of anything?!

(The lush keyboards that start just before "The fool escaped from paradise..." at about 5.50 in Script is an EXACT copy. I don't know how they got away with it!)

ytserush and Valen2260 like this.
  17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I didn't say just Steven Wilson. You need to re-read my post.

18. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Still got my first edition vinyls of Arrive Alive (+ original cassette edition), Sentinel, Eyes In The Night 12", Shock Treatment 12", Knight Moves 12" and The Wedge.

If you want to dig deeper into Pallas' history, their Bandcamp site has a ton of rare stuff. I bought Sentinel demos and live 1980 stuff earlier this week. Quality is average - sourced from mixing desk tapes - but very listenable and enjoyable.

Juggsnelson and Markyp like this.
  19. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

This topic could have some mileage on it , beyond just Marillion? New thread perhaps?

20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Good idea.

Pendragon's new album, Love Over Fear, was released (pre-orders) this week and it's sounding pretty good to my ears.

It's a total throw-back to the sound of their mid-1990's prime of albums like Window of Life & The Masquerade Overture, but I have no problem with that!

I'm looking forward to seeing them live in two weeks time when they are apparently doing the entire new album live plus some old favourites.

21. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

That might entice me back into the Pendragon fold - Window and Masquerade are my favourite albums - as the last couple seemed to be trying too hard to be "modern".

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  22. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Yes, I'm of the same thinking about the last two releases.

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

An album they never bettered. I have SO much time for this release. Order going in.

Metalrob and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Currently £23.99 at Amazon UK :eek:

Mike Riding likes this.
  25. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

This is a strange one. If I'm understanding correctly, there are no original studio mixes of...anything! So aside from the archival show, it only consists of new stereo and 5.1 mixes.

The Marillion book sets have been an odd lot. If you made a checklist of:
    • New 5.1 mix
    • New stereo mix
    • Original stereo mix from either
      • Prior master
      • New remaster
    • Previously unreleased live
    • Previously released live
    • Previously unreleased outtakes/demos
    • Previously released outtakes/demos (late-90s remasters)

...I'm not sure you'd check the same boxes twice.