Mark-Almond question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Has anybody heard MCA Japan's remastered CD of Mark-Almond's first album? If so, I'd like to hear your opinion of the sound quality thereof. TIA.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Rising

Without any shadow of a doubt, one of my all-time favourite records is "Rising" from 1972: Jon Mark and Johnny Almond. I hope that's the band you are referring to. (If you mean Marc Almond (ex-Soft Cell), I pass.)

"Rising" has some fantastic songs, long sinuous things that break out into superb solos from John Almond's delightful saxophone. "What Am I Living For?" is just a killer song - truly wonderful lyrics.

If we are talking about the same guys, I'll definitely look for the CD you mentioned.

Regards,
    Geoff

3. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Geoff,

Thanks for your response. I was indeed referring to those expatriates from John Mayall's band, Jon Mark and Johnny Almond. An on-line review of the CD about which I was asking had this to say: "...MCA Japan's reissues of the Mark-Almond discs are some of the most technically perfect remasters I've ever heard -- rubidium-clocked analog tape transfers done in 24-bit digital."

Rubidium-clocked? Technically perfect? :confused: Yesterday, I lost an eBay bid for a sealed copy of this to someone named, appropriately, "sniper." :rolleyes: Amazon apparently has it in stock, so I may go ahead and pick it up from them. My interest in Mark-Almond was rekindled by hearing Steve's remaster of "The City" on The Golden Age of Underground Radio, Vol. II.

By the way, the same review referenced above shares your high opinion of Rising. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.thegline.com/disc-of-the-week/2002/01-28-2002.htm

4. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Funny this should come up, I was listening to Golden Age Part II on the other day, and it also rekindled my interest in Mark-Almond. I will be searching out this one immediately!

5. Metralla

Thanks a lot Dreamcatcher. I was not aware of the situation with the Mark-Almond re-releases. I'll be looking out for them now. Thanks for the link.

Regards,
    Geoff

6. Metralla

"The Rising" arrived today, courtesy of Red Trumpet (don't you just love that store?). I had tried for this Sony Japan CD a couple of times on eBay, but I let it go when it went over $26. No point when I can buy it from Red Trumpet for $26.99.

This CD is everything I hoped it would be - and then some. I know this record extremely well, and have listened to it many, many times on my Linn-Grado Signature combination. I was fearful that the CD would not evoke the same emotions in me that the record does, but I am happy to say that it's wonderful.

My current system is better than what I have back in Australia, particularly the speakers (Coincident Super Eclipse vs. Celestion SL6), and I can hear much more clearly delineated bass lines here. The sax on this disc is a living, breathing thing and the sense of atmospherics in this recording are rendered quite superbly.

I'm so excited to hear this album for the first time in about 5 years.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Great stuff:thumbsup:
    Steve's mastering of "The City" on "Golden Age vol. 2" is one of those "oh Wow!" moments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.