Mark(Marc) Wirtz/Teenage Opera anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike the Fish, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member Thread Starter

I like the artwork for that album.

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes I have the records. The Hits of 1967 versions sound exactly like the records, which is Mark's sound. He loved compression but I don't hear limiting (perhaps I just don't know what limiting really is?).

I disagree with you that the stereo sound better but that's just the way ears are. I'm just really fond of the Wirtz studio sound which shines in mono but I respect your comments on the stereo versions. Mark would agree that the mono versions of all three records are the definitive ones. He and I have talked about this. He could not get all of the sound he wanted on that stereo version of Grocer Jack - good as the mix is. That mono mix is stunning IMO. He never had a shot at a stereo mix of Sam so we'll never know what his version would have sounded like.

3. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

By the time I met Mark he had given away or sold (?) those acetates. I had them on DAT so I had no shot at repair. I don't know who cut the acetates. I assume Geoff Emerick did.

4. Mike the Fish

That's interesting, as I heard that he had - and for Weatherman too... Different hearing again! ;)

Fantastic that those acetates have been transferred though. Interesting to hear some of the thought process. Maybe you could speak to ANOTHER Mark @ RPM and see if your book could work with a TO 40th anniversary edition... (Probably 41st...)

5. Mike the Fish

(me too?)

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Mark Stratford wasn't interested in pushing the book idea but we came really close to doing a documentary that would have been combined with a reissue of the soundtrack. I should bring it up again with Mark because I know that the TO soundtrack has been fairly successful for him over the years.

I heard through the grapevine that Keith West has a pilot of a cartoon based on the story and I really wanted to get that, the color video of Sam and the color video of Grocer Jack on DVD.

Have you seen the Dutch documentary on Grocer Jack? I think the program is called Single Luck or something like that. That's a really good program. They got Geoff, Keith, Mark, Clem Cattini and Steve Howe on film talking about the history and making of the song. Some cool clips too including the Sam video and a Tomorrow TV performance.

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Mike the Fish, I thought you'd be interested in this comment from Mark Wirtz. I wrote to him about something else and asked about the 24 edit comment:

Actually, I casually exaggerated by telling Mike Fischer that there were 24 edits. In truth, there were 14, separate, "scenes," all "shot" live (at the end of different sessions), then later edited/cross-faded into one entirety, Just like in making a movie. "Sam" was even more complex.

8. Mike the Fish

:whistle: How embarrassing for me.

9. Mike the Fish

I have seen none of those clips that I recall in any form and they all interest me! I didn't know until this thread that any footage was created for the project, let alone afterwards. I have been educated!

10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

This is all fascinating stuff guys. Mark ever thought of a dedicated TO website that could tell the story, show the footage and present the audio? Seems like the components are all sitting around.

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:laugh:

That's Mark for you. I like how he says "casually told..." Honestly, I don't even hear 14 edits.

12. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for posting all that info and the story. I really dug it!

13. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I do have all of the components for a web site but I just need to get around to it. Somone just approached me for more of the story for an online fanzine so maybe I'll get into the back story and some of the fun drama that surrounded Mark.

Welcome Kent. It's all been sitting around so it's fun to share it. I have countless CD-Roms of photos, clippings and memorabilia that I haven't even begun to edit. I think Willy is right, it really needs a web site.

14. Mike the Fish

I'd like to see the warning slip about the length of Sam (the complexity of that track is part of what draws me to it.) Also, Mark F do you have pictures of the singles? I can get hold some for the promo of Weatherman and the pink & red EMI label of Grocer Jack plus some other singles if you are interested - it sounds like you have good stock though. Anything else to tell?

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Mike - I'll post the warning slip soon. In the mean time I find this photo really interesting. It's among Mark's earliest sessions as a producer. The band is the Mirage and Dee Murray (eventually to be in the Elton John band) is on the far left. I forget the name of the studio right now but I believe it's the same studio that Paul Simon used to record his solo album when he was in England in 1965. Mark has talk about hearing the Simon recordings because I think they shared engineers or other studio techs.

View attachment 59597

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

17. Mike the Fish

Did the promo label not have the track time on it as well? Or was it incorrect? I'm not sure which one it was: Weatherman or the non TO Barefoot & Tiptoe where the time is way out.

18. Mike the Fish

Here's the pink and red. A bit blurred - taken on my mobile. Still there's enough there for the keen eyed to spot an error - can you tell me what it is...?

Attached Files:

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

They've repeated the EMI and the cat. no.?

20. Mike the Fish

That's a great answer, but it's not what we're looking for.

21. Mike the Fish

Can you spot it Mark F?

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No, I feel like I need my reading glasses. :eek:

23. Mike the Fish

I'm afraid that may not help. ;)

24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

They were pressed in the thousands by mistake with ball bearings in the centre holes?

25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Does that Side 2 say Side 3? This is killing my eyes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.