Marriage sacrifices

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nashreed, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

I just plunked down a chunk of change for a "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" DVD Box Set (season 4) for my wife- and I will NEVER watch it. I cannot tell you how much I loathe that show- but because I love her, I bought something expensive that I won't ever see, which is pretty unusual for me- we don't have that many DVD's to where there's one that I refuse to watch. If I own it, I have to have some interest in it. My wife's taste aren't that dissimilar- except when it comes to "Buffy". I like not one thing about it!

Well, is there any good stories you have about sacrifices you've made. Maybe going to a movie where your spouse wants to go to one and you have no interest in it, so you go to two seperate screens? Or maybe sitting through a 3 hour movie just because your spouse wants to see it. My wife still brings up taking her to see "Buffalo 66"- which she HATED! (I thought C. Ricci was hot!)

James

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

EDIT: Got confused as to which forum I was in...

Still - yeah. My fiancée likes love stories and "war" stories (such as "The Pianist"). I sometimes agree to go watch the stuff. Most of the time, though, I find some way to sneak out of them.

Just as she does when we go watch "Matrix II", and things like that. :D

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, as a Buffy and SMG fan, I'm kinda prejudiced, what can I say, I have all four boxes, great viewing, IMO.

Sacrifices? Yeah, every now and again...mainly, to see a movie I really could wait to see on DVD(if at all), but, to keep the lady happy, you do what you gotta do sometimes....and, just as much of a sacrifice, usually on a weekday evening, whereas I'm really a Saturday and Sunday matinee kinda guy, I like ignoring lunch and catching an afternoon flick while munching on a big bucket of popcorn drenched in butter....and still leaving the rest of the evening open.

If I were you, James, I'd give BUFFY a fair chance. It ain't perfect--and a lot of it's implausible, to say the least--but the cast is appealing, and the show's got real atmosphere. Or, to treat yourself, find a box set YOU like, and pick that up.

ED:cool:

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

"Buffy" has Alyson Hannigan.

Reason enough for me to watch the thing. :)

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! My wife asked me to watch "The Pianist" last night...Of course I will, I love just spending time together period!
    She is the most untaxing human I've ever met! :love:

6. Michael

I'd say you bought your lovely wife a gift. No sacrifice there.:) :thumbsup:

7. nashreed

nashreed New Member Thread Starter

Ed,
    I've actually seen a little of it here and there, and it just ain't my thing at all. It's mostly 'cause I don't like horror movies and such. People bleeding out their eyes and all that just upsets me.

My wife actually doesn't like the Angel character, so that's why it's "Season 4" for her- and she'll get 5 and 6 when they come out.

She's really good about having her shows and me having mine. I like to watch what she likes and she with me as well just to spend the time together- but sometimes they'll be no compromise. For some reason, she refuses to watch the "Beavis & Butthead" DVD's she bought me (off TV) :( ... I can't get why anybody wouldn't find them hilarious.

James

8. Ed Bishop

Although I've met women who dig The Three Stooges, I've met more who can't stand 'em...and as a kind of modern version, Beavis & Butthead get the same reaction, I've found: my girlfriend hates them with a passion--vulgar, mean, you know the drill--and my sister, while not hating B&B, isn't much of a fan and just thinks of it as puerile, juvenile humor without much of the latter. Some of it's very funny--the movie was a hoot--but other times, repetitive. Me, I'm a REN & STIMPY guy.:) The early stuff, not the later crap without John K.'s involvement.

9. Michael

Tell your girlfriend me and my wife agree with her, We're not a fans either of B&B...:laugh:

10. Ed Bishop

Consider it done, Michael. Me, I find B&B okay in small doses, but it lacks the easy appeal of THE SIMPSONS. I see there's a KING OF THE HILL box now, too. That isn't a bad show, I just don't get to see much of this stuff anymore.

11. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I think it is great that you bought it for her. Save up and buy the rest for her too. Any wife of an audiophile deserves what ever they enjoy.

I buy my wife diamonds and jewelry...

As far as movies go, I have learned to like Chick flix. We watch DVDs while we do ebay stuff and emails in the evening. Sweet Home Alabama, Clueless, Miss Congeniality, Legally Blonde, How to loose a guy in 10 days.
    And other times she listens to my hi-fi as long as it is mellow music.

Give 110% and the marriage will last a long time.

12. Michael

Yes, The Simpsons are on a much higher level of entertainment...:D If one can even consider that!:laugh:

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Love is a Sacrifice

Had fifth row center for Mary Chapin Carpenter at Wolf Trap a few years back. Many of you know that Chapin at Wolf Trap is a DC tradition on par with cherry blossoms and wiretaps. It was hot. I mean it was one of those DC summer nights when there was just no air and the humidity was up the whazoo and back. I frankly can't recall if Barb was pregnant or recovering from a pregnancy loss ( there were so many) but I know we had the handicapped parking. Anyway she lasted three songs and had to go.

Somewhere in the DC area, at this very moment, there are two young girls who are still laughing at their good fortune cause they were watching Chapin from the lawn when some guy just handed them two free tickets in the fifth row.

Peace-
    Norm

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Good point! :love:

My wife's got the Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings DVD's, as well as stuff like The Highlander that I've just never been able to bring myself to watch. We have a deal, she doesn't watch her DVD's when I'm around, and I don't play the Beach Boys Smiley Smile when she's around.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm beginning to understand why I'm single. TV programming of the context of Buffy & Angel contributed to it going on a one way trip to the pawnshop. :hurlleft:

16. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

A good compromise movie I've mentioned here before is Happy Accidents from 2001 starring Marisa Tomei and Vincent D'Onofrio. A romantic comedy with a sci-fi (time travel) element. MORE INFO

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I took wife Maya to a Kenny G show in exchange for a future "Night-Out-With-a-Bud" Pass to see CSNY.

Jim W.

18. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Hrm. My wife and I are into most of the same movies, and she likes most of the music I like.

:)

19. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, my wife makes all kinds of sacrifices for my foibles, hobbies and cravings, so it's probably a good thing that our media tastes are similar!:D

We're both rabid viewers of Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1 & 24, as well as being big Buffy & Angel fans. We own various seasons of each series and purchase new ones when they're released. Of course, my wife being a fantasy/mystery/horror author adds to her fascination with the genre as well as providing research for series based articles and inspiration for her own original work. However, we both like well written and acted TV fare anyway, so getting hooked on series like Buffy wasn't a hard sell on either of our parts.

Usually, my wife doesn't care for so-called "chick flicks" and the rare exceptions that do fall into that category are often films we both tend to find enjoyable for one reason or another. About the only thing my wife has a problem with that I'm impassioned about media-wise are silent movies and certain classic rock videos. In these situations, we typically take turns. :laugh:

:cheers:
    Cat

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

There is no accounting for artistic taste in anyone including your spouse. Just accept it and do not get hung up on it.

21. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

You wuz robbed!
    She owes you two nights out w/ buds!
    ;)
    Norm

22. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

This thread reminds me of the old joke:
    Q: What is the longest sentence you can make from to words?

A: I do

Best,
    Aaron

23. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I agree with Michael. It isn't a sacrifice, but a gift. The sacrifice is when she makes you sit down and watch it with her, when you REALLY would rather be browsing the SH Forum :)

24. Tony Plachy

Cat, If your wife ever gets tired of you please send her my way.

25. Tony Plachy

In spite of my earlier post on this thread, how can anyone not like CSNY. consider a new wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.