Martha Argerich at her Best!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom B., Mar 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom B.

Tom B. New Member Thread Starter

2. Dob

Dob New Member

Hey Tom,

So you actually LIKE Liszt's B minor Sonata?

I have Brendel's performance of it, supposedly one of the best available. Those 31 minutes seem to last an eternity. I think I managed to get through it about 4 times, and each time it was a struggle to keep my mind from wandering - reminds me of listening to the Allman Brothers' "Mountain Jam".

I enjoy some of Liszt's piano compositions, such as the Rigoletto Paraphrase and La Campanella (both of which, like Van Halen's "Eruption", are not so much serious pieces of music as they are jaw dropping displays of virtuoso technique). Of course, those works are based on other music. Liszt's original compositions are more problematic. His famous "Liebestraum", for example, is so overdone and florid that it sounds like some bizarre parody.

The booklets that came with my Liszt CDs have a number of quotes from the critics of his time, most of which aren't particularly favorable (I'm sure the intent was to demonstrate how unappreciated he was). For the most part, though, I tend to agree with those critics.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Found a wonderful Argerich performance this week as well at my local library's annual sale.
    The Prokofieff piano concerto No.3 and the Ravel piano concerto in G major. Argerich with Abbado and the Berliner Philharmonic on DG vinyl, wonderful stuff! Needs a good scrubbing with the Disc Doctor to be like new.

Another cool find is the Mendelssohn violin concerto with Oistrakh and Kondrashin. A Melodiya reissue on Westminster Gold in it's original mono glory from 1973 in the depth of the fake stereo hell.
    I love the technical note on the upper left side:

"PLEASE TAKE NOTE-
    This recording has been preserved in it's original form-the uniquness can never be replaced. Therefore WE HAVE NOT electronically augmented the rarity of the performances."

God bless you Westminster!

Dan C

4. Tom B.

Tom B. New Member Thread Starter

"........Found a wonderful Argerich performance this week as well at my local library's annual sale.
    The Prokofieff piano concerto No.3 and the Ravel piano concerto in G major. Argerich with Abbado and the Berliner Philharmonic on DG vinyl, wonderful stuff! ......"

I'm in total agreement on that one. I hope it cleans up well. Along with the Liszt, I picked up her Ravel ( Gaspard de la Nuit) also, but the condition of the vinyl was "iffy". I put it through the Nitty Gritty twice...........and walla..........it too sounds flawless. This machine has saved sooooo many LP's.

Happy Easter,

Tom B.http://www.geocities.com/tjb49/Classical_Vinyl_Artwork.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.