Martin Charnin, creator of musical "Annie", RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

3. BradOlson

4. BradOlson

5. BradOlson

This is major news in the world of musicals, and Martin will definitely be missed as tomorrow will no longer be a day away for him. A great writer, actor, producer, etc.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This musical was never a part of my life, but I can appreciate in the context of the history of Broadway. Rest in peace sir.

I presume they're going to dim the lights for him this evening?

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. BradOlson

8. BradOlson

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Side note - Is it true that MPL Communications is the punlisher on Annie? I read that somewhere but couldn't imagine how that could come to be...

10. BradOlson

Yes indeed it is true

MikaelaArsenault and AppleCorp3 like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Martin Charnin RIP, i know of several folks from our neighborhood who got there start in Theater because the "Annie" Broadway run...some are probably way up in the industry possibly, but they got the bug way back when!

12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Fascinating.

RIP Martin. It's not everyday something becomes a modern day classic. Every generation finds Annie, so in a way he'll go on forever.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

14. arley

arley Forum Resident

Before Mark Steyn became a political commentator, he was into music and theatre and has written several books on that. Here's his appreciation:

~I note with sadness a couple of familiar names in the obituaries column. I wrote a little about one of them here:

Who's Martin Charnin? Well, he made his Broadway debut in 1957 playing Big Deal, one of the prancing Jets in West Side Story. And, in between saying "Gee, Officer Krupke, krup you!" eight times a week, he found himself intrigued by all the writing and directing and composing and producing and show-doctoring and the rest of it. In the decades since, he's become a jack of all trades, and master of more than you might expect. I think of him as a kind of a general man of the theatre ...and television, and movies, and records. Charnin's is a name that turns up in the credits of Barbra Streisand albums, and Jack Lemmon TV specials, and John Belushi stage revues.

Marty hit the jackpot with Annie, which he conceived, created, directed and co-wrote. I always thought him a better director than lyricist, but, unlike most men about Broadway this last half-century, he wrote one hit song that almost everybody knows. I've always been partial to Elaine Paige's up-tempo arrangement. Pay no attention to her frock - no idea who came up with that - but there are worse ways to start the day:

15. BradOlson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.