Martin McDonagh's 'Banshees of Inisherin'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 25, 2022.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I think McDonagh has made some great stuff, but I'll be damned if I can figure this thing out. Just like Bruges, I guess I need to go in with faith.

jbmcb, vince and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I always thought insurance salesmen were creepy.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vicky and I loved In Bruges, and can hardly wait for his next film.

"Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't."

4. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Seeing this at its BFI LFF premiere in October. I thought Three Billboards was a masterpiece.

Rycherocker634 likes this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Perhaps, we're looking at a 'metaphor' here..............maybe?......
    Like the thread-starter said, we gotta go on faith....

6. glide

glide Forum Resident

Looks brilliant. Their chemistry in In Bruges was excellent. Very excited to see this.

7. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

As a fan of McDonagh and In Bruges in particular, I’m really looking forward to seeing this film.

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'd keep talking just see if he'll cut off a finger.

Ignatius likes this.
  9. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Saw this tonight at London Film Festival and took some snaps. What an instant classic! Could both guys be Oscar nominated?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hyacinth House, alexpop and vince like this.
  10. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Another winner....

scott palmiter likes this.
  11. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Quite quite good. I found myself reckoning with the character motivations and decisions well after the credits were rolling, and though not all of it landed for me the performance are astonishing. Farrell, Gleeson, Condon & Keoghan are delivering true knockouts and the camerawork practically paints the stunning Irish landscapes. No doubt this goes up for Academy Awards.

12. Chris DeVoe

Saw it tonight. Beautifully written, but couldn't understand or empathize with Gleeson's motivation, which was so insanely self-destructive.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Film ?
    Hope it makes a fistful of dollars. Could be Colin Farrell’s best acting film.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    scott palmiter, Riktator and RSteven like this.
  14. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Guys...I did not enjoy this film as much as I would have liked. I usually agree with Rotten Tomatoes which it received a 97%.

It was much too bleak for my liking. I appreciate an ending that isn't cookie cutter. That being said I didn't think the ending was worth the slow and rigid lead up.

Interested to hear others opinions.

The movie sold well in my theatre but it wasn't showing in very many screens in Pittsburgh.

15. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Superb performances and a film that stays with you - disintegration of a friendship as a dialectic on how we handle despair, depression I felt for Colin's character as it's relatable. A film for grown ups and stunning to look at.
    I can see though people not getting this like his other films.

scott palmiter and RSteven like this.
  16. alexpop

A lot of sad characters in the film.

17. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

You and I have the exact same thoughts about this film. Me personally there was no payout except great acting and scenery.

18. Chris DeVoe

Since it was set during the Irish Civil War, Gleeson cutting off his own fingers to spite his former friend is probably a metaphor for that conflict.

But as I know next to nothing about the conflict I may be completely wrong.

19. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I watched the 2-minute 20-second Preview thrice in a row because I thought I missed something important the first and second time I watched the preview. I didn't.

My impression from the Preview is that it's good acting wasted on tripe. If I had a best friend one day and the next day he says to me "I don't like you anymore and I'm not telling you why" I know my first thought would be "What's the hell's the matter with you?" followed "What kind of stupid sh!t are you pulling? One day you like me and the next day you don't? Is this you're way of telling me you're a sociopath? Or a grand case of arrested development that I've missed all these years?"

Just a daft twaddle of pretentious, overblown 'dramatics' is what I glean from the preview.

→ If someone who's supposed to be my friend is going to say dumb things like "I'm going to cut a finger off every time you talk to me again" and then put his finger to his lips like I'm some kind of dullard who can't understand simple English then by now my irritation would have grown with Gleeson's immature, 8-year-old schoolboy act and I'd say "Instead of giving the finger to me why don't you shove it up your a*r*s*e instead!".

I can only hope the movie's got more depth than the shallow dramatics on display in the Preview, but as it is I've no desire to watch this film. The preview was quite enough.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  20. alexpop

Metaphor “
    Yes! Story based on a island ..every now and then explosions on the mainland. The only character lucky, escaped the island was the sister.

MoonPool, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I thought Siobhan, the sister played so well by Kerry Condon (Better Call Saul) was the rock that held the movie together. With all the foolishness that was going on the island, I don't blame for her for creating distance.

22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

My son who is a Marvel/Star Wars fanatic went to see this in the local art film theater. Seems he also has a thing for seeing all the Oscar nominated films and thought he'd catch this one early assuming it would be included. He suggested it to me and I watched it a couple days ago on HBO/Max. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it almost turned into an Edgar Allan Poe type of story. I enjoyed it...with subtitles.

23. If you haven’t seen The Secret of Roan Inish, you should.

MoonPool, The Panda and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Fully deserves all its Golden Globe nods. Superb acting. Beautiful to look at. First half is quite funny, in an understated Irish way. Second half is ….let’s just say rather different so as not to spoil it.

25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Imagine life on an island off the coast of Ireland in 1923 where all you do is wait for the pub to open every day at 2:00.