Martin Scorsese Compares Marvel Superhero Films to "Theme Park Rides"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

He better apologize dammit, or I’ll just spit!!

joeortonjr and Knox Harrington like this.
  2. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

You don't notice much, to be honest. By this point, I'm not sure you even know what non-sequitur means. I was quite obviously responding to a comment about elitism.

I was directly responding to your comment, and am currently amazed by the fact that you're struggling to see my point. Are you legitimately suggesting that "Eyes Wide Shut" had anywhere near the crew as a Marvel film? Or that Kubrick's work isn't clearly the product of his singular vision? Also, what previous non-sequiturs are you referring to (not that I've made one here)?

Honestly, though, I went back up and saw your comment on the Bechdel Test. It kind of told me everything I needed to know.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think in camera work, (little slow motion) editing, use of music etc. its pretty straightforward....makes sense....making Rupert even more pathetic surrounded by normalcy

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

why do I think ill wake up tomorrow and see this thread locked. everything gets so tense.

[​IMG]

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I prefer the MCU films the past 10 years to Martin Scorsese movies the past 25 years.

6. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

I’m talking in relative terms - Hitchcock and Melville are stylized to an extent, Scorsese more so. Can Kubrick, Lynch and Fellini be considered stylized - sure, but I think less than Scorsese. Scorsese’s pacing can be pretty relentless - I don’t get that with the others. Everything Scorsese does is more forward than some others - the acting, pacing, editing, music. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just different.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that sounds about right...but maybe 20.

8. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington Forum Resident

Are you also a big fan of "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" or "Space Mountain" by any chance?

SandAndGlass, Bluesman Mark and bopdd like this.
  9. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Again, his pre-90s work doesn't deliver the relentless pacing you describe. "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver" are pretty slow by most modern standards.

So do I (well, more like 15 years). Doesn't mean a thing.

10. Knox Harrington

I don't actually get it. Everyone is so upset that some filmmaker compared Marvel superhero movies to "theme park rides" as if that's a bad thing.

What the hell is wrong with "theme park rides"?!?

bopdd likes this.
  11. alexpop

They’re not violent enough like MS gangster films.:D

12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Some movies are suitable viewing for all ages or most ages. That isn't indicative whether or not the producers aimed for a certain age group. Some movies have a wider appeal due to the subject matter. Not all do, though. Certainly some earned R ratings.

R Rated Marvel Flicks:
    • Blade
    • Blade 2
    • Blade Trinity
    • The Punisher (1989)
    • Deadpool
    • Deadpool 2
    • Logan
    • Man Thing
    • Kick Ass
    • Kick Ass 2
    • Punisher (2004)
    • Punisher War Zone

13. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The mentioning of Cahiers du Cinéma made me look up their Top Ten lists & I got a massive shock; in the list for 1966, a movie I personally love as a guilty pleasure, but freely admit that the critics were right about, Howard Hawk's Red Line 7000 made their Top Ten!

It's a poorly written, poorly acted soap opera of a racing movie & is as ripe a piece of cheese as you're ever likely to find. Virtually every critic of the time savaged it, & it's reputation hasn't improved with time. All I can think is that Cahiers du Cinéma tended to champion Hawks fervently, so that's how it made their list that year. Oddly enough, out of five reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it got rated fresh at 60%, & I cam't tell you why. The threadbare & flimsy "plot" revolves around three racing drivers & the three women that love them. There's a ton of stock footage of NASCAR races, (& crashes!), & a shallow plot tying it all together. All the drivers, (& members of their teams live at a Holiday Inn, & the film feels like one of the Elvis or AIP racing movies, like Speedway or Fireball 500, but supposedly more "serious".

Still, I've loved it since first seeing it as a kid on the ABC movie of the week in the 70s, & when Kino Lorber released it on Blu two years ago, I had to have it. I've watched it far too often since then! I know that being from right outside Charlotte, being car & racing crazy from birth, (if not prenatally!), & growing up immersed in NASCAR is a big part of why this movie appeals to me so much.

Knox Harrington and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Remember that 'Leave Britney Alone!' YouTube video with that mentally deranged fanboy weeping and ranting on camera?
    Some of you lot ought to get together and do one on behalf of Marvel.

15. alexpop

Halfwit has spoken.:nyah:

Chris DeVoe and Knox Harrington like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

No, you're just not that good of a writer. You make claims, but you don't back them up with anything.

And your being threatened by it is even more telling.

I honestly think Martin Scorsese's career would have been more interesting if he hadn't so consistently ignored stories about half of the human race.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

He knows where is bread and butter is Gangster genre.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Knox Harrington

If Martin Scorsese does a Godzilla movie, I nominate Joe Pesci to be the voice of Godzilla.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. Knox Harrington

Yes, but have you ever considered that maybe Martin Scorsese hates women?

20. alexpop

Well he’s been married to three. :shrug: :)

Knox Harrington likes this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He sure loves his mama.

[​IMG]

Knox Harrington likes this.
  22. Knox Harrington

I bet she makes a spicy meatball! o_O

GregM likes this.
  23. Knox Harrington

Damn.

Yes, ok. But those are marketed to adults in various stages of arrested development--the proverbial man child or, possibly, man teenager if that is a thing (need to consult my well-worn copy of the DSM-5).

24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Ha ha! As if these are the same things. What a dope this "Gunn" is.

NaturalD, Bluesman Mark and GregM like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, that comment was pretty cringeworthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.