Martin Scorsese Compares Marvel Superhero Films to "Theme Park Rides"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

With Disney+ online now, I imagine a lot of people will be leaving Netflix in droves. Their original programming isn't worth the monthly bill. Even Hulu's non-commercial but non-live TV tier seems like a better bet for a television replacement. And since Disney owns a majority share of Hulu, I'm sure they'll have combined packages.

Neyflix doesn't have any of the current TV shows that you might talk to your co-workers about(those dancing and singing competitions), and their original content is uneven. I thought Camino was OK, but I would have preferred it was never made. The Netflix shtick seems to be to create buzz for itself regularly with things like Camino or the Irishman or throwing money at old comedians for specials, but overall you find yourself scrolling around forever to find something to watch.

Currently, I have Criterion, HBO, Hulu, and Amazon Prime services. Dropping Netflix was easy and the Irishman or another Chappelle hour is not enough to pull me back.

I'll probably drop Hulu and HBO for the new year and just get by with Criterion and Amazon. They cover most of my bases, and I can get by with 2-3 months of HBO a year. I'll try the new ones at some point.

I wonder when these Poorscese stories will finally die down. Maybe after they take him out to a cornfield and bury him after beating him to death with a bat. That'll teach people not to mess with The Mouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GregM likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The Russos are the real deal. People that say these movies are emotionless and don't really connect with anyone? Sounds like a personal problem.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[

I checked out Disney and didn't see much of interest for me aside from a few old Disney flicks, I have net/hulu but rarely watch it unless I go on a binge... amazon is my goto with the library of old movies...I might try criterion. there really is no perfect movie channel for me. they all kind of fall short in some way

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Netflix is cheap...it will have no problem from Disney...

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My preference is the exact opposite. I don't have much interest in Disney+ at all or watching moldy oldies in their back-catalog. Of course, if you have young kids, then things will likely be different...

I'd much rather watch Netflix new original content from all corners of the world, much of which is far grittier/adult than would be available on D+. They're also making some big budget streaming films and series which are blurring the lines of made for TV and cinema.

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I think most people will keep up to maybe a handful of different streaming services at a time or switch between them when something of interest comes up.

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I disagree: The Crown, Atypical, Queer Eye ... there are a bunch of water cooler Netflix shows in my circle of family and friends. Not to mention non-Netflix original programs such as the BBC’s Call The Midwife that we watch on Netflix.

I couldn’t care less about Marvel and Disney movies on Disney+.

NaturalD and Chip Z like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think you and I are in agreement. I've been watching quite a bit of the original content on Netflix, Amazon, Apple+, and so on. Not so much the old crap.

Somewhat Damaged and Spencer R like this.
  8. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Nice statement from Road Warrior writer/director George Miller about the Scorsese controversy:

“It’s a mistake and a kind of hubris if a film does well at the box office to dismiss it as clever marketing or something else,” Miller said. “There’s more happening there, and it’s our obligation as storytellers to really try and understand it. To me, it’s all cinema. I don’t think you can ghettoize it and say, oh this is cinema or that is cinema. It applies to all the arts, to literature, the performing arts, painting and music, in all its form. It’s such a broad spectrum, a wide range and to say that anyone is more significant or more important than the other, is missing the point. It’s one big mosaic and each bit of work fits into it.”

George Miller Three Thousand Years Of Longing, Superheroes As Cinema – Deadline

wayneklein and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. Vidiot

And in the latest news, I think it's open warfare between Disney and Scorsese...

[​IMG]

Knox Harrington and Chip Z like this.
  12. Vidiot

BeatleJWOL and SBurke like this.
  13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

He should go to Marvel and say "Let me show you how to do this right."

The Avengers, A Martin Scorsese Film. Starring Roberto DeNiro as Iron Man, Al Pacino as Thor and Joe Pesci as Captain America.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

15. dmiller458

What was the impact of popular heroes comic books in our culture? Why are people fascinated by alternative realities?

I think the impact of superheroes on popular culture is both tremendously embarrassing and not a little worrying. While these characters were originally perfectly suited to stimulating the imaginations of their twelve or thirteen year-old audience, today’s franchised übermenschen, aimed at a supposedly adult audience, seem to be serving some kind of different function, and fulfilling different needs. Primarily, mass-market superhero movies seem to be abetting an audience who do not wish to relinquish their grip on (a) their relatively reassuring childhoods, or (b) the relatively reassuring 20th century. The continuing popularity of these movies to me suggests some kind of deliberate, self-imposed state of emotional arrest, combined with an numbing condition of cultural stasis that can be witnessed in comics, movies, popular music and, indeed, right across the cultural spectrum. The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

* ALAN MOORE WORLD *: Moore on Jerusalem, Eternalism, Anarchy and Herbie!

16. Vidiot

Alan Moore is a big whiner. Have you seen him lately? He looks like a crazy homeless guy...

[​IMG]

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

or God. hmmm

Sandorelli likes this.
  18. dmiller458

By you're judging him off his looks, you're doing the same thing he and Scorsese are doing with the Marvel movies.

19. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Javier Bardem dressed as Karl Marx.

Vidiot and dmiller458 like this.
  20. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I suffered through The Irishman over four viewing sessions. I thought it was awful, and I love that genre as well as the main actors. Frankly, I think the guy is way over-rated. my first hint was when I bought "The Last Waltz" on blueray. Hated it, and I'm a big fan of concert videos.

GregM likes this.
  21. Vinyl is final

Hands down, the most emotionally engaging film I've ever seen is The Time Traveler's Wife.

However, when the original Star Wars came out, I saw it 27 times in the theater. :)

My problem with "some" action movies is that they have just plain shallow stories. Now, when I was a kid, I didn't care. It was all about the effects or the cool outer space concept. But even then, some of them still had great stories even if the movie was a bit on the boring side. Perfect example is Forbidden Planet.

22. Vinyl is final

I see a lot of the modern action movies he's talking about as the equivalent of the science fiction stories I'd see on Science Fiction Theater every tuesday and thursday right after school back in the early 60's in Napa, CA. Almost all of them are pure ephemeral tripe, designed to make a quick buck at the drive in, with the possible exception of "This Island Earth". But only possibly.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Lumping all action movies into a one-size-fits-all condemnation is as infantile as it comes.

Every culture has its legends, myths, heroes.

This is a clear example of finding out someone you admire can be a total dick sometimes.

Vinyl is final likes this.
  24. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I think people need stuff to believe in these days. So what's wrong with believing in the Marvel heroes if you want to? Is it all the CGI that isn't 'real cinema'? Maybe that's what Scorsese was talking about. Why do all of the mob movies, centered around toxic masculinity, have to be the 'real cinematic experience'?

Why is all of that gritty kind of horribleness considered to be 'real'? I know that stuff really happened: mobsters killed people. Well, people fall in love too. People do all kinds of stuff that's real. Why not make some other kind of movies? Why doesn't Quentin Tarantino direct Uma Thurman in a romantic comedy? Now that would be great. They could do a whole movie, where there's no kick-boxing, and nobody gets shot. That would be a refreshing change.

25. Vidiot

Have you read the stuff Alan Moore says? He's a loonie.

I can't speak for Mr. Tarantino, but whenever Stephen King is asked, "why is it you only write about horror?", he throws his hands up in the air and says, exasperatedly, "do you think I have a choice?"

I think the kinds of stories that Scorsese and Tarantino tell are the ones they're compelled to tell. I think this is just how their minds work. I suspect that asking them to do a romantic comedy or a small human drama without any violence or criminals is just not how their brains are wired.

Don't forget, Scorsese did try to do a big-budget musical -- New York, New York -- and that was pretty much a disaster. But it was a noble experiment. Scorsese also has done some of the best rock documentaries of anybody alive (including being the principle editor of Woodstock 50 years ago), so he has that going for him as well.

I had a great time working on Scorsese's Rolling Stones: Shine a Light concert documentary for four months, and I thought Scorsese did a terrific job on that. And his 4-hour George Harrison documentary was exemplary.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.