Martin Scorsese to Direct SCTV Retrospective Special for Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It’s not amazing that I never noticed Rick Moranis is left-handed. It is amazing that he plays a right-handed guitar left-handed while it’s still strung for a right-hander :eek:

2. It's fairly common, actually. There are several old lefty blues guys that did it. If all they had was a right-handed guitar they just flipped it over and figured out how to play it.

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Do we know that at least all the footage needed for this has been shot? That it's just a matter of alotting the time for post-production or covering the cost of it?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've been checking for this...looks like it's nowhere man...

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

is there an anniversary theyre waiting on? haye to see it shelved

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No logical anniversary tie-in on the horizon. Show debuted in 1976, so that's 43 years - too late for 40th and it'd be weird to sit on it for another 7 years just to connect to the 50th!

I'm guessing Scorsese has been so wrapped up in "Irishman" and Marvel bashing that he's just not had time for this...

MikaelaArsenault and stereoptic like this.
  7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Yes, it was filmed. I was at the taping. Scorsese came out at the end to a roaring standing ovation. It was a terrific event.

Well-chosen clips, a really touching tribute to John Candy with his children in attendance, a shout-out to Andrea Martin and Catherine O'Hara as the two female castmates. The only thing that went wrong - or seemed off - was warm-up comic Ron James went on a anti-Trump diatribe during his set. He went over his allotted time.

Obviously something went wrong or someone pulled out or changed their mind. That's what I gather. The only other thing I can assume is that maybe there were issues with song licensing. One of the clips introduced by host Jimmy Kimmel was
    "Ride Like the Wind" by Christopher Cross featuring Michael McDonald, with Rick Moranis playing McDonald. It's hilarious but maybe they couldn't get permission to use the song since the original song was used?
    I don't know. I even tweeted Jimmy Kimmel asking about the special but there was no response. And there's absolutely no updates or any news about the special so my guess is it's been cancelled quietly.

Which is sad because fans of the show would have loved it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Bummer.

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm friendly with Juul on FB. I'll ask him if he's heard of updates.

10. the pope ondine

ha! I just referenced him in the other sctv thread....!

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and kouzie like this.
  11. I liked this post, but don't like the fact that I'm thinking you're correct. Also, interesting to note that Ron James was on SCTV for the last 2 seasons

12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Here's his response when asked if he's heard anything about the release... It's not a "No"...:

<<"Not a peep, other than Scorsese has been very busy with his movies.">>

MikaelaArsenault and Tim S like this.
  13. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Boy I hope this sees the light is day soon. I’ve been on a Schitt’s Creek binge which has led me to YouTube for those horrible quality 1st season episodes that someone taped off of Showcase. Lorna Manelli on The Sammy Maudlin Show had me crying. There’s gotta be a way to get this stuff streaming in high quality somehow. Absolutely brilliant comedy

14. pablo fanques

Wow, from the looks of this picture, Eugene Levy and Martin Scorsese may very well have been separated at birth!

OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. the pope ondine

come on Netflix, nows the time give us the doc!

16. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Going on two years now.

It's the perfect time since people are home, they need something to cheer them up. This is definitely what people need right now.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

We are definitely in the mood for the history of SCTV after watching Really Weird Tales last night

18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Just put up SCTV episodes for now as a teaser Netflix.

Just do it.

19. pablo fanques

Seriously. Many networks and streaming sites are waiving their standard fees during the self quarantine era. Give us something meaty to chew on Johnny LaRue!

20. Michael

O' I can really go for that! yes do it!

21. Michael

how much longer will we have to wait for this? any rumors?

22. Michael

name some please!

23. pablo fanques

Well I know that Disney Plus added Onward with the existing package once it became obvious that releasing it to theaters wasn’t an option. I can’t say for certain who else has done that kind of thing but I’ve absolutely noticed that FIOS has lifted rental fees on a good number of On Demand movies. I guess a big part of it is who your provider is but there’s some Easter eggs in there if you know where to look. Good luck and stay safe!

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Amazing how well Levy has aged. He must be privvy to some secret life preservation juice.

pablo fanques and George P like this.
  25. Michael

thanks! you as well. : )

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.