Marty Robbins: Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs – all 12 songs recorded in a single 8 hour session

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The album is perfect in every way. The traditional numbers are reworked in such a way as to be fresh and identified with Robbins. The originals are all first rate. Master's Call is one of my favorites because it's about salvation without being preachy.

2. Propinquity

26 posts and no mention of Grady Martin, one of the greatest session guitarists ever. I'd take him over any of your rock heroes any day.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Seconded. And the mono LP is the definitive version (and has the full version of El Paso). Grady Martin or any of the Nashville A or even B list session players from that era can outplay any heavy metal or hard rock player 1,000 times over. And in that era, these people could play any style on demand. In that era, no Nashville album took longer than one week from first rehearsals to lacquer mastered, plated, and to the pressing plant. Professionals who worked together, knew each other's moves, were extensions of each other, and worked efficiently together. This LP is Owen Bradley's Quonset Hut (Columbia bought it a few years later, for their Nashville operations) ,Glenn Snoddy, Marty Robbins, and the Nashville A Team session players doing what they do best. McLover Approved!!!!!

4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Not only recorded in one session but El Paso is one take.

My old dad used to say that Grady Martin was the best guitar player ever and Ive come to agree with that.

I will also venture that Marty was probably the best singer of all of the 50's guys

Gunfighter Ballads is in my top 10 of all time - and it is also in the very small sub set of albums not having any bad songs on it at all - 11/10.

I am indeed fortunate to be the custodian of this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. Motorcity supernaut

Motorcity supernaut I've seen the future and I've left it behind

Fantastic album. So many wonderful memories associated with it. This record is so good even my children like it and they listen to metal and the current pop music of the day.

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Fans of Marty's western albums might want to check this one out. Too bad this hasn't ever made it to cd. It's one of Hank's best albums...

[​IMG]

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

This album is in the running for greatest country album of all time. Country is not known as an "album" genre, but this and a few others are in the running. It is a concept album. It has heavy hitter singles off of it. The cover art is iconic. And this album might set a mood better than any album ever.

P.S. Don't forget that Jim Glaser of the Glaser Brothers is singing those incredible harmonies on El Paso with Bobby Sykes. Also, he and Tompall wrote Running Gun, another great song on the album. Here is a fascinating account from Glaser about the song and album:

The Glaser Brothers

coco77, turnersmemo, Dan C and 7 others like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This in reality was a very early Country Concept Album. The first of these worthy of the name, would be Merle Travis/Folk Songs Of The Hills

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  10. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

@Mr. H @Edwin Hawley

I've now ordered Under Western Skies via ebay for a reasonable price from a seller which was considerably cheaper than the other sellers that listed the box set there. It'll take between 4-8 weeks to get here but I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Thanks heaps for the recommendation. :edthumbs:

11. Propinquity

Enjoy Tree-bot.

Just curious: did anyone here see Marty Robbins live?

melstapler and Tree-bot like this.
  12. Tree-bot

Listening to the album right now via Youtube. Thanks for posting :edthumbs:

clhboa likes this.
  13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap! Excellent record by a young Hank Jr!
    Really love his recording period around this time.

clhboa and Tree-bot like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

What was that running joke between Cash and Robbins?
    Cash recorded 'don't take your guns to town', and Marty joked about writing a better
    cowboy song than John's, and John laughed it off.......
    Marty writes 'El Paso', and Johnny says 'well i'll be.... He went and did it!'
    It's in one of the documentaries somewhere.

15. Tree-bot

I didn't know that, but good on Johnny for not being too proud to respond in that way.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said!

McLover and Front 242 Addict like this.
  17. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Amazing Album!! :thumbsup:

Gorgeous Album! filled with Beauty and power.

I love Marty Robbins, his unique beautiful voice and his amazing music, his voice just envelops you with Mesmerizing Beauty.

Marty Robbins has the ability to take you to the places and to the events which he sings about , this is what I feel when I am listening to this stunning album -,Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs /
    I feel that I am a character in a dramatic western movie.

The Glaser brothers Amazing backing vocals shine in a perfect song like El Paso

I love the album so much that I currently have the original columbia cd and also
    Gunfighter ballads and trail songs vol 1 and 2 cd which includes also the tracks from More Gunfighter ballads and trail songs + bonus tracks ( Hoodoo records) .

I am also a big fan of Johnny Cash and Johnny Western.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    melstapler, Tree-bot and Mr. H like this.
  18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Didn't want to pollute page 1 with this, but I got into Marty Robbins from hearing Meat Puppets cover his songs.
    They'd play "El Paso City" a lot, as well as "Big Iron" and a few others.

19. Rick Bartlett

Absolutely a must have desert island record!
    [​IMG]

20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great group and Curt Kirkwood is an encyclopedia of songs, too. He did a lot of classic country in his solo tours.

melstapler and asdf35 like this.
  21. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I've got an original Columbia 6 eye Mono that is NM with 1B/1C stamps. Not even a spindle mark on the labels. Hard to believe for such a popular LP. It's a beauty. Think I'll play her now.

22. Rick Bartlett

That makes my mouth water. Your talking 'dirty' to me in vinyl lingo lol!

melstapler and j.barleycorn like this.
  23. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

A Glorious song :thumbsup: Powerful and beautiful.

Mr. H likes this.
  24. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Wonderful album. Some incredible songs. "El Paso, "Big Iron"...I'll put up against anything.

25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Man, Big Iron, what a tune. I wish Cash had included all the verses in his cover.

The Master’s Call, They’re Hanging Me Tonight. Come on. Amazing stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.