Marvel / DC comic universe - comics vs movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not seen one DC film that has truly impressed me.Early sixties comics excelled, till I latched on to Marvel.
    First Class, GOTG, & AntMan also The Avengers Assemble knocked me out.
    DC film adaptations are unexciting, and dull in comparison.

2. alexpop

How come Marvel haven't done a big screen version of their western comics.
    Rawhide Kid etc....?

3. alexpop

Oops ...Wonder Woman ( 2017).

seed_drill likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

DC comics beat Marvel comics hands down for me. Batman and Superman (let alone the other characters) > Entire Marvel universe.

When it comes to the movies, DC needs to up its game. Ridding of Zack Snyder might help. In saying that, Wonder Woman was good though. The Dark Knight was outstanding, and I'll always love Superman The Movie (1978).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Currently....DC does better comics. Marvel does better movies. Does that make Marvel the winner!?;)

Zoot Marimba and Wounded Land like this.
  6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Back when I read comics,the dc comics always were my favorites,but the comics are always better than the films.

Sondek likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree. A limitation with the movies is that you can only do so much in 90 to 120 minutes. Added to this are factors like the cast, you can only have so many characters in a single movie, an issue with a large group like The Legion Of Super-Heroes (over 20 full members plus a large supporting cast).

Most comic book story arcs would take several movies to tell the story as it was presented in the comics. As an example, to tell the full story of The Death Of Superman as it was in the comics I think it would take a minimum of four movies. Another is example is the miniseries Infinite Crisis (seven issues) which took 13 CDs to tell the story as an audiobook. It is for this reason that I think that episodic television is a better medium for comic stories over movies.

PhantomStranger and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yeah, but that's not really saying much (and I love The Incredibles)

9. Zoot Marimba

I'm not big on the constant reboots, but if I had to stop and think about it, yeah, I'd give DC the slight edge.
    Movie wise, seeing as how that's where the green is, yeah, Marvel definitely wins.
    And it's a shame, because I think DC could make good movies, they've proven it before, and this past summer.
    That said, I'll almost always take the cartoons over the movies

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Dark Knight Returns cartoon was particularly impressive. And far closer to the source material than any movie could be.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I think Marvel does better comics. Chris Claremont's run on the X-Men is a good example of Marvel excelling beyond D.C.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 1st word of my statement was 'currently'! The Claremont run yr referring to is what?, 3-4 decades old? There's a long list of Marvel books that are amongst the finest comics ever made. Sadly for them, none of them are from THIS century!!!;)

musicalbeds likes this.
  13. Westerns are a tough sell with todays audience

14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

DC comics / graphic novels off the top of my head (that makes DC better than Marvel overall)...

Crisis on Infinite Earth
    All Star Superman
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
    Kingdom Come
    Sandman
    Batman: Court of Owls
    Man Of Steel
    The Watchmen
    Superman: Birthright
    Swamp Thing
    The Killing Joke
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Superman: Red Son
    Superman: For All Seasons
    Batman: Year One
    V for Vendetta
    JLA: The Tower of Babel
    Batman: Hush
    Sinestro Corps War
    Superman / Batman: Public Enemies
    Superman: Secret Origin

15. Solitaire1

I think a factor that gives DC the advantage over Marvel in their comics is their big events. DC's big events (like Crisis On Infinite Earths) tend to have a purpose and have lasting effects although they often create problems too, while Marvel's big events (like Secret Wars) tend to have little impact (fallout from House Of M is one of the few exceptions that come to mind).

Some of the events (previous mentioned):

• Crisis On Infinite Earths: Intended to simply DC Continuity
    • Zero Hour - Crisis In Time: Intended to fix the issues that came about due the above event.
    • Tangent Comics: To allow creative teams to do again what they did in the late 1950s (introduce new characters/concepts using previously established names [in the Tangent Universe The Batman is a cursed knight who controls suit of armor via magic, and Superman is Harvey Dent (a man who took an experimental drug that made him the most advanced man on the planet in a week).
    • Green Lantern Rebirth: To return Hal Jordan to being Green Lantern and to restore the Green Lantern Corps to prominence.
    • The Blackest Night: To establish why so many characters (Superman, Wonder Woman, Superboy (Conner Kent), The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)) return from the dead and to close the Revolving Door Of Death so that dead is now dead...for good.
    • Flashpoint: To provide a soft reboot of the DC Universe.
    • Rebirth: To undo some of the issues created by the New 52.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't agree with you at all, think you must be a pretty extreme DC fanboy to say what you do :)

I read both DC and Marvel, plus Image. Batman is a great character but the others (when not being written by Alan Moore) are one dimensional and the problem is that they are too powerful.

Marvel is far more interesting in general as the heroes are far more grounded and vulnerable, which makes for better story telling.

There are far more iconic Marvel stories, many of which have been adapted into films.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Any longtime comics fan knows both companies have had their moments, both high AND low! Tellyawhat though, I just finished watching the latest Spiderman movie and all I can say is that Marvel has REALLY got their act together!

18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You must be a Marvel fanboy to say what you do! :) I read both DC and Marvel too. I am currently reading Planet Hulk. But those titles I mentioned are all great.

But okay, aside from any of the others I mentioned, tell me a far more iconic Marvel title than The Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen?

Those two in particular often top best lists.

Look how DC repeatedly tops Marvel in lists in general...

50 Best Of The Best Graphic Novels > Forbidden Planet log @ ForbiddenPlanet.com - UK and Worldwide Cult Entertainment Megastore

Best Graphic Novels (2597 books)

The 25 Comic Books You Need To Read Before You Die11. <em>Marvels</em> (Marvel Entertainment)

The 30 Comic Books You Should Have Read

And what you said "but the others (when not being written by Alan Moore) are one dimensional and the problem is that they are too powerful."

All Star Superman? That's excellent, and shows what a good writer can do with that character. It's another title that is generally considered one of the best. You might be able to find a Marvel book on par with that, but better? I can't think of one.

Marvel just don't have as many great / iconic stories as DC. And going by the ratings of the books, that seems to be the general view. And Marvel's best characters aren't in the same league as DC's either. For example, aside from Superman and Batman, which female Marvel character is as iconic as Wonder Woman? There isn't one.

Marvel's had better run of it with the movies in recent years (though, they're still yet to make one as good as The Dark Knight), but when it comes to the books, DC wins hands down.

The truth has been spoken.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

BTW - V for Vendetta is not DC, it was published by Warrior, DC only bought the rights later and reprinted it.

I wouldn't argue with Watchmen and TDK being top 2 all time, but they are both kind of unique in that it was two great creators given freedom outside of normal DC comics, which meant they could do things you couldn't normally do. Watchmen isn't even set in the DC universe.

Comics boil down to the quality of the writer and the potential in the character. If DC employ Alan Moore, or Grant Morrison or whoever you will get great comics from even mediocre characters (look what Moore did with Swamp Thing).

It's the same with Marvel but I feel the raw material is much more interesting. All personal opinion I guess.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Which Marvel books do you currently read? I think there have been some great stories over the past 17 years.

21. Solitaire1

While I am a long-time DC fan, I used to read some Marvel titles too. What drove me away from Marvel is their unrelenting focus on The X-Men to the detriment of their other titles. Although it wasn't actually the case, my perception of Marvel at the time I stopped reading them was that if there was truth in advertising laws when it comes to comic book titles, then every Marvel title should have been X-Men Featuring [Insert Name Of Some Marvel Character].

With X-Men, the reason I stopped reading them was due to how confusing the series had become. I could follow and understand the entire Pre-Crisis DC Multiverse (which included Earth-One, Earth-Two, Earth-S, Earth-X, Earth-C, Earth-C Minus, Earth-Six, Earth-Prime, and Earth-Four), but I could follow X-Men. At one point I missed one issue of X-Men and was completely lost when I picked up the following issue (the story involved Siege Perilous).

One of the reasons that Legion Of Super-Heroes was a title that I read for a long time is because, for the most part, the characters were not extremely powerful. While you did have a few powerhouses (Superboy, Supergirl, Mon-El, Ultra Boy, and Wildfire), most of the characters had just one special ability that in many cases was a normal ability for people from their homeworld. Although many of the characters were somewhat generic when I started reading, the Creative Teams soon gave them interesting and distinctive personalities and backgrounds. That is what kept me reading the title even with all of the reboots (two so far with a third one likely coming soon due to Rebirth).

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My son gifted me a 'hot-rodded smartbox' last week. I cannot believe what's available, this things got me re-thinking cable! I rarely go to the movies anymore so there's a lot I haven't seen and it's all apparently available to me now! Anyways, yesterday I mentioned the Spiderman flick. I followed it with the Guardians of the Galaxy II. How is it that Marvel gets it SO right, while DC doesn't!?

23. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Possibly because Marvel hires people who like their characters "control" their movie universe, while DC hired a guy who is on record saying he hates the characters.

That could be one reason...

PhantomStranger and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The issue is the Synder films. Nolan got it right, the recent Wonder Woman film was well received. They should've got rid of him after the mess he made of MOS. And him being on board for Justice League was insanity after Batman v Superman.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

Right. I hate putting Snyder down giving the recent personal tragedies, I am truly sorry for him as far as his daughter's death goes, that's a horrible thing to go through. But I still think he's the wrong guy for the job. Watching BvS, I got the feeling he was more interested in making a Batman film, because the Batman parts were easily the stronger ones, at least I thought. And he tried to carbon copy the Nolan template for Man of Steel without understanding why it worked in Batman Begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.