Marvel / DC comic universe - comics vs movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

There was an excellent superman comic some years back entitled-The Trial Of Superman,which if adapted to the screen would've been very good...is anyone here familiar with it?

2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Too much space stuff.

3. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

DC has Harley Quinn.

Marvel doesn't.

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think this points out a variation of an issue I mentioned when it comes to bringing comic book stories to the big screen: Comic books tend to have a long continuity which allows them to bring forth stories based on events that happened long ago.

As an example, Crisis On Infinite Earths (COIE) used a story that was published in Green Lantern decades earlier to explain how the Multiverse and the Anti-Matter Universe came into existence (the original story didn't reveal the entire scope of what happened). Likewise, the seeds of COIE were planted years before the actual event happened (I have the original Green Lantern comic where the writer mentioned about cleaning up the DC Universe's continuity).

Likewise, at one time one of the hallmarks of Legion Of Super-Heroes are subplots that take years to play out, with the writers touching on each subplot on a regular basis. This is something that would be unlikely to be done in a movie and would be difficult to do in a TV series.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Too bad studios can't use that in-development/in-turnaround wait-time as actual time passed in canon continuity. Man, if you got 5 X-books coming out monthly, there's no way you can believe all that crap can happen to Cyclops all before he files for Medicare..

6. I enjoy Snyder's Watchmen a great deal but he was the wrong call for Superman from the beginning. WB begged Nolan to handle Superman and the DC filmverse, but he wanted out after tackling Batman in his Dark Knight trilogy of films. I think WB was already committed to Snyder on Justice League once they made Batman v Superman with him.

Most of it boils down to Warner not having a single person in charge that cares about the DC characters. They are seen as little more than corporate brands meant to be exploited over and over again. Anyone with a passing interest in DC Comics would have vetoed the hideous Flash movie costume design.

7. Solitaire1

I think that, when it comes to movies, DC should not worry about trying to beat Marvel. Instead, DC should focus on consistently making good entertaining movies that also feature characters other than Superman and Batman. DC has hundreds of characters that could work on the big/small screen, yet all of the focus seems to be on Superman and Batman (so much so that I haven't gotten up interest to watch the most recent movies despite having them on DVD).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And to bring this thread up to date, Warner Bros. has basically thrown in the towel and announced they're giving up on any plan of a "unified" DC Comics Universe approach to movies and letting Marvel do that instead:

Warner Bros. CEO Says DC Is Giving Up on the Extended Universe

It was previously announced that Ben Affleck was stepping down as Batman and they were also abandoning plans to make future Superman feature films anytime soon. I think between the TV shows and the movies, DC/WB is a little bit overextended as it is.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer Marvel silver age.

10. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I find the Marvel movies much more satisfying than DC. My favorites are Captain Marvel, Iron Man, and Thor. There are a lot of DC characters that I really don't care for.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Green Lantern in comics....

I have a basic understanding of the Green Lantern & the GL Corp but do not follow the comics.

My question: Why does Earth have so many active GL heroes (Jordan, Stewart, Gardner, & Rayner) when the guardians were only supposed to assign ONE per "space district" ? Do other disctricts benefit from multiple GLs?

12. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Marvel for comics (except the 90's) and movies.
    DC for comics (after 00) and animated movies. I've yet to see a decent animated Marvel movie or show.

Glad Young Justice did a lot of great stuff with Dr. Fate. Always been a favorite of mine.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think Ive seen DC try to somewhat explain the non-stop super 'activity' saying Earth is a supernatural and scientific crossroads/nexus point, therefore needing more 'supercops' than other areas within our solar system.

The truth probably has more to do with sloppy editing and bad management decisions thru the years!

Michael Rose likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think the first Superman and Batman films were made at a time when there was far less expectation for making a trilogy or franchise out of them and the studios were concerned with just making a very good film first and foremost. But that also meant that they took far more liberties with the comic stories (such as having Joker be the one to kill Bruce Wayne's parents in the original Tim Burton Batman).

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man (2002) also had this approach because they were unsure if there would be a sequel at the time, so they packed a lot into a two hour movie. Now the studios expect to launch each of these movies as franchise that will have repeat business over 3+ films and spinoffs.

"One More Day" definitely broke the Spider-Man comics for a period of ten years (it's arguably the worst thing Marvel ever published), but the current writer Nick Spencer, who's been on the main book since July 2018, has done a lot to repair the Amazing Spider-Man continuity. He hasn't undone OMD yet (though it keeps getting hinted at), but you may want to give his run a look.

Marvel have improved their publishing line quite a bit. There's less a feeling of "let's do xyz just to p*ss off the fans and get them talking".

PhantomStranger, AFOS and smokeverbs like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Please tell me someone once created an AC comics!:shh::laugh:

16. Solitaire1

The answer is long and involved, but I will try to keep it short (I will only cover the GL parts of the story). The following is what I remember pre-Infinite Crisis.

At one time there was only one Green Lantern (GL) per sector. A sector is defined by taking the Galaxy, drawing a circle around it, dividing the circle into 360 degrees, and dividing each degree into 10 sectors which resulted in 3,600 sectors. Earth is in Sector 2814.

Although Jordan, Stewart, and Gardner had each been a GL from Earth, Jordan and Stewart were primary GLs at different times. Jordan* was first, and Gardner was designated as his backup if Jordan was incapacitated. Gardner was sent into a coma due to a faulty power battery. Stewart was then designated as Jordan's backup.

Before Crisis On Infinite Earths Jordan resigned from the GL Corps and Stewart took over as the GL for Sector 2814. At the same time, Gardner was brought out of a coma by some of the Guardians and made their GL (but originally not assigned to Sector 2814). Subsequent stories had more GLs settling on Earth due to the departure of the Guardians. Later, the Central Power Battery was destroyed and it resulted in only three functioning Power Rings left (one of them was Jordan's).

Later, The Guardians returned and started to rebuild The GL Corps. However, due to the destruction of Coast City (see The Death Of Superman), Hal Jordan's home town, Jordan attempted to recreate the city using his Power Ring. The Guardians ordered him to report to Oa for answer for abusing his power. He went to Oa, defeating several GLs in the process, killed Kilowog, defeated and killed Sinestro (by breaking his neck), destroyed his power ring, and absorbed all of the power in the Central Power Battery (killing all of the Guardians but Ganthet)**.

After Jordan left Oa, Ganthet took the remains of Jordan's ring and rebuilt it. He came to Earth and gave it to Kyle Rayner as he was literally coming out of a bar (Ganthet decided that Rayner would do). Rayner's ring was different from the other GL Rings because: it didn't have a yellow weakness, its charge lasted more than 24 hours, it had no automatic protection from lethal injury, and no access to the GL Database. Rayner was the only GL in the Universe and without any guidance he had to learn everything via trial and error.

Later, The Guardians returned and started to rebuild the GL Corps once again. This time they designated two GLs per Sector. Jordan and Stewart were designated the GLs for Sector 2814, and Rayner and Gardner became the members of the GL Honor Guard and were stationed on Oa.

* Although Alan Scott was Green Lantern during the Golden Age before Jordan, he has no direct connection to the GL Corps except by name, although it was later revealed that The Guardians were involved with the source of his powers.

** The story behind what actually happened and what followed is a very long story.

Actually, there was company named Americomics (abbreviated "AC") that existed in the 1980s during the Independent Comic Boom (of which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a part). Two of their titles that I remember were Fem Force and Faze 1 Fazers.

17. Solitaire1

That's one of the things I like best about Geoff Johns' writing: He's able to take a confusing mess and make it seem like that was intended to be (see Green Lantern - Rebirth).

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

DUDE... Thank you for this summary. It is wonderfully written. Especially for summing up an entire 35 years worth of storyline. Seriously, good job sir. :righton:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  19. I much prefer the Marvel movies which have distilled the best elements of various narrative threads from the comics. The 9nly regret I have is that we didn’t get more Cap, IM films.

Michael Rose likes this.
  20. The Arrowverse has done a better job of taking stories from the comics and translating them to the screen for TV albeit without the budget and substantially altered.

21. Solitaire1

Thanks. To keep it as short as I did I have to leave out a lot of story (such as Rayner meeting a young Hal Jordan, and Rayner becoming Ion). Fortunately, I've been a long-time Green Lantern fan and read all that I mentioned at the time the stories were published.

Michael Rose likes this.
  22. Solitaire1

That is likely very true. A perfect example of this is the character of Wonder Girl (Donna Troy). The creative team of Teen Titans put her into the team thinking that she was a character separate from Wonder Woman.

The problem is that original Wonder Girl was actually Wonder Woman as a teenager, and not a separate character. In her title Wonder Woman would have stories where she has adventures with herself as a teenage (Wonder Girl), and with herself as a child (Wonder Tot). The Creative Team of Teen Titans treated her as a separate character.

For a while she didn't have an origin, and then they made her an orphan that Wonder Woman found in a burning building. Diana took the child to the Amazons to be raised. They used their technology to give her powers like Wonder Woman's and she became Wonder Girl. Still, she didn't know where she actually came from (this was finally answered in the story "Who Is Donna Troy?" in The New Teen Titans).

Things were fine...until Crisis On Infinite Earths. After that, Wonder Girl had been around long before Wonder Woman made her debut in Man's World so her origin could not work. What they replaced it with became more and more confusing.

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

What do you think of the newer Lanterns like Jessica and Baz? I read the first 4 volumes of their collected series but lost interest when the writer Sam Humphries left.

I also read the first volume of Grant Morrison’s new GL series with Hal and liked it.

24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yeah, but the real answer is... because earthlings write the stories and we tend to think earth is the most important planet in existence.

Stupid humans.

Michael Rose likes this.
  25. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I was a huge comic fan in the 60's and 70's. For me the ultimate comic was "Conan the Barbarian" with Barry Smith as the artist.
    Sadly the comic eventually went below the bar they achieved. After that my interest in all comics waned.

I came back to "Batman" after Frank Miller re-invented it. After that I was out.
    Dark Horse "Conan" was pretty good for a while too.

Now in the age of the Marvel /DC Movies franchises, I would love to see Marvel try their hand at Conan with a serious adult at the helm (not Nispel). Since Jason Momoa is more famous now they could have a huge hit, of course using REH's original stories for a template. I would love to see that. It would even have enough already written stories to create a series of good films. With Game of Thrones and Vikings being popular they have an audience, just keep Arnold the hell away and it could be great. The last movie was dreadful, and Momoa was an unknown. He has had some success with Namor, and has become a better actor since 2011. It could work.

So far Howard's Conan has only gotten the treatment it deserved outside of his books, in the Marvel comics, and the Dark Horse. The movies are a mess, even the 1984 Conan the Barbarian, considered the best attempt lacked Howard's vision. Don't get me wrong I loved it when it first premiered, but it was NOT Howard's barbarian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.