Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I heard about that with Norton, too, but I gotta say...I liked him a lot better than Ruffalo in the role. Don't know if it's the whole TV show flashback thing Louis Lettier was going for in The Incredible Hulk (because I grew up with the show featuring Bixby) or what, but I just liked him in the role.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  2. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

None of the Hulk movies became cultural touchstones like "BP" did. They semi-flopped, really, so hardly anyone cared they went from Bana to Norton to Ruffalo.

Also, Bana didn't die, and neither did Norton. The filmmakers just went with different actors after not very successful movies.

As I've stated in the past, "BP" was/is really, really important in the Black community, so a new actor as T'Challa would not go over well at all...

4. Oatsdad

While I agree that it's a shock to the system to see May an an AILF, a 50-something May makes a billion times more sense to be the aunt of a teen than the frail 170-year-old from the comics.

Whether or not May should be sexy is up for grabs, but it was the original choice to make May and Ben so freakin' old that was a bad one!

davenav and Spencer R like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I was responding to the idea that it’s only black actors that get recast.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I see the same problem I always do, I guess...the same stories being re-written with different continuity, to please modern viewers unfamiliar with their long (impossibly-long!) storylines that, in the real world, could never have progressed as far as the actual comic book runs could have in the first place. I'm be much more interested in a Spider-Man into his fifteenth year of super-hero'ing, than one more round of getting the same hapless kid getting bitten by a bug, then having to discover (shock!) his best friend Flash is a super-villain.

Some of us have been "living in" the Marvel Universe for half our lives, and surely I can't be the only one who's sick and tired of seeing Hollywood jump-start the same old origin stories two or three times every decade.

This, by the way, is one thing I really loved about the "Who plays Bruce Wayne the best" thread, is that we get a chance to get beyond the icon, to look at people portraying real people for a change.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, 50 is the new 30. Only one of my grandparents made it past their 50s, and that was probably because he took up jogging in his 40s, and ran the New York Marathon in his 70s. That's not uncommon now, but a generation ago it was practically unheard of.

Getting back to the point, the updates and modernization of old franchises like Spidey and 007 are often not boring.

davenav likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  9. Kaskade10729

I'm not saying she should have been cast as old as she was written in the books, but Rosemary Harris was a perfect choice...and I always thought Sally Field was the perfect compromise.

But Tomei? Come on....

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Roll your eyes if you want, but I saw from experience what the movie meant to the Black community.

"BP" became the 2nd highest grossing MCU movie in the US because it turned into a cultural touchstone due to the support of the Black community...

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Field was semi-plausible age-wise. She was 65 when she shot the first "ASM" - a little old to be the aunt of a teen, but not outrageously so.

Harris was already 74 when they filmed 2002's "Spider-Man" - grandma age, not aunt age.

Tomei was 51 during the shoot for "Civil War", her first appearance as the character.

If you demand that May adhere to the character as depicted in the comics for so many years, then Harris fits best.

If you want someone who actually makes real-world sense as the aunt of a teen, then Tomei makes the most sense.

Not sure if you would've been happier with a 50-something May if they'd used someone less attractive than Tomei... :shrug:

davenav and Isaac K. like this.
  12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I saw this first hand myself. I went opening day at a matinee and there were several entire black families,Moms and dads,kids,grandparents seeing this. The theater was two thirds full and I'd say nearly half were Black people,and the local community I live in does not have a large black population.

We have to remember this was the first mainstream Superhero film with a majority black cast and black lead. This meant a lot, especially to kids. For the first time a lot of little black boys and little black girls saw themselves on the big screen in a heroic way. That was and is a huge deal. It helped that it was actually a good movie.

BeatleJWOL and Oatsdad like this.
  13. David Campbell

My guess,T'challa will either be missing or dead in the film and part of the conceit of the story is who will take the mantle of Black Panther. There are many possible candidates in that first movie.

Before Boseman passed away,rumor was the main antagonist of the next film may have been Namor the Submariner. Plans have likely changed, but given Namor is a big part of Fantastic Four lore ,I wouldn't be surprised if he still makes his debut in BP2,given we know for sure FF is being worked on.

BeatleJWOL and Spencer R like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice little recap of all the new stuff headed to Disney + and theatres.

davenav and Boomy like this.
  15. Oatsdad

I hate to go down the "I have lots of Black friends and White Boy Oatsdad really understands the Black community!", partly because it seems patronizing, and also because there's no one monolithic "Black community".

That said, Oatsdad has worked half his life in a majority Black school system, and ergo Oatsdad has many more Black friends than would've been the case if he'd been in a different area.

I don't posit himself as an expert on "the Black community", but if I didn't gain any knowledge ovet 27 years in this setting, that'd be pretty pathetic.

And "BP" was a big stinkin' deal in this community. Still is.

I feel pretty confident that there'd be a massive uproar if Marvel simply stuck a new actor in the same role.

If Boseman simply chose not to return to the part, or if he was alive but too sick and gave a new actor his blessing, that'd be one thing.

But as far as I know, Boseman left no statements with his preference for what happens to the character after his passing.

Recasting T'Challa would look tone deaf and would not go over well...

wayneklein, Spencer R and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

For the life of me, I'm not sure why some seem so off put by the fact that Marissa Tomei is attractive. So she still looks great at her age and was a "sexy symbol" in the past, so what? Why are some so much more comfortable with a Ma Kettle looking Aunt Mae?

17. agentalbert

Maybe. But they wouldn't even have to do that. Can be a new Black Panther (new person in suit) and not pretend its the same guy inside. Maybe I misunderstad the character, but wasn't there a Black Panther before T'Challa and won't there be one after? So he dies off screen and we have our new Black Panther. Or given current technology, they do some scenes where he gets killed or passes it on to someone else for some reason. That's well within the capabilities of the budget these movies operate with.

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. David Campbell

Yeah, Black Panther is a mantle that gets passed down. T'challa's father was the previous one and it's implied he's been Black Panther for a while by the time of the events of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. He's at that point serving his father the king of Wakanda as both it's Prince and protector of Wakanda. Of course we know what happened and that spun off into the first film in which he becomes King.

In all likelyhood, they will explain in the film that T'challa is either dead from a heroic act (possibly alongside his Avengers team mates) or has gone missing under similar circumstances or some other reason. The core story of the film will likely be how his successor takes the mantle. The most logical possibility is his sister taking up the mantle as that has happened in the comics, but there are several other characters in the movie ,both Male and female, that could conceivably take on the mantle. They may decide to even introduce a new character from within Wakanda whom we are introduced over the course of the new film.

There are a lot of possibilities in play here.

19. Kaskade10729

Yeah, I'll do it again....:rolleyes:

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I certainly can’t speak for the black community, but I appreciate your perspective.

As I think I said above, as a moviegoer, I wouldn’t be offended if they put a new person in the Black Panther costume. I would think everyone understands that Marvel loved Chadwick Boseman, his fans loved Chadwick Boseman, and that everyone loved Chadwick Boseman. I first saw him in the Jackie Robinson biopic a while back and thought he was great in that. He tragically died, and, if there’s going to be another Black Panther movie, which I presume is what all of the people, black and white, who enjoyed the first movie want to see, then they’re going to have to address his absence somehow. It’s not disrespecting his memory to make another Black Panther movie any more than it was disrespectful of the Star Wars franchise to keep going after Carrie Fisher died.

Again, it’s not as if they fired Boseman over a salary dispute and replaced him with a cheaper actor or something. That would have been disrespectful.

BeatleJWOL and Oatsdad like this.
  21. Kaskade10729

Okay.

I completely disagree and think Tomei was a horrible choice for the role; doesn't even make sense unless you're pandering to a certain audience/demographic, which Disney obviously is.

You're not going to change my mind about what I think about this awful company, as I have relatives who work in the parks and tell me how bad they are treated by the corporate slugs there, what with their political correctness ******** that's tiresome already and all the other decisions they've made during this "makeover" of the world we're living in now.

That's all I'll say about any of this before it gets too heated, which I suspect is coming; I'll unsubscribe from the proceedings here at this point.

22. Kaskade10729

For the record, I don't have a problem with her being sexy and attractive -- that doesn't mean she's right for the role of Peter Parker's aunt, who, if you are going to logically follow comic lure, was perfectly played by Harris in Raimi's trilogy. It's just ridiculous how they just keep reinventing these character representations in all these reboots and re-imagining efforts.

No one said a Ma Kettle looking aunt -- but Sally Field was a great compromise in Marc Webb's first reboot.

23. Kaskade10729

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. agentalbert

But compromise for the sake of what? I liked the Raimi trilogy of Spidey movies best myself, but the Uncle Ben and Aunt Mae did seem quite old to be the aunt/uncle of a teen in high school. They seemed like grandparents. When I was the age that Peter Parker supposedly is, all my aunts were in their 30's.

I like the Happy/Mae scenes in the new Spiderman movies.

davenav and vince like this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I recently re-read the Ditko Spider-Man run, and, even back then in the beginning, Aunt May looked like she was 106, as I believe @Oatsdad noted with regard to one of the actresses who portrayed her in the movies. Maybe she should have been Great Aunt May.

[​IMG]

davenav likes this.