Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

This always reminds me of what the x-men should try and feel, disorientated and on the run, but always trying to help each other make it through. Reactionary and always being pursued with quickly hashed out plans that kind of work but always leave ramifications an casualties. Follow up films and series could be constantly created as the team gets separated and reunited over and over again in different combinations.

2. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It's been a while now and the hype has died down so I was wondering how you are looking back at both Infinity War and Endgame?

My thoughts

Infinity War
    Still exciting to watch, even though you know the ending. The different storylines are all interesting and I love how the switching between storylines gets faster as the movie progresses.
    We get a lot of interesting fights that use the characters' powers well, even though the heroes love in a believable manner.

Endgame
    Lacks action throughout the movie. Yes we get a big fight at the end but I feel it gets muddled once the cavalry arrives. I myself prefer the fight with Thor/Iron Man/Cap vs Thanos over this one. For as long as it takes, it could use more fighting.
    I don't mind the killing of the first Thanos. It was exciting and unexpected.
    I didn't like how Hulks big transformation happens off screen and Hulk is now basically a strong Banner, taking away all of the tension of the character. He also doesn't smash anymore. Disappointing ending to a storyline that was interesting and build up well in Thor Ragnarok and IW.
    Captain Marvel feels very shoehorned in. She's basically a god but can only be in the first and last part of the movie because she has other things to do basically. She's a such a powerful character and could be used well against Thanos but it's obvious that she was later added to the script. You could delete her role and just change some things about the start of the movie, especially in such a technology-heavy universe. I don't mind her but she also didn't add much.
    Ending to Iron Man's ending was very well done though and the best way this 10 year journey could have ended. (Except for him though, lol)
    The time travelling was I guess the best way to tackle getting the stones back but since they can always get more Pym particles by going to the alternate timelines, it basically gives the heroes a get-out-of-jail-free card.

In short, IW is still very exciting but EG is a bit boring on rewatch due to the slower pace and lack of action. The EG experience in cinemas was incredible though with people cheering, clapping, jumping down the aisles. It was crazy but in a good way.

3. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

???
    I know that, and I have known that before any Marvel movies were made.
    I read, followed and owned (obviously not owned every book, I had holes in my collection) since they started.

All I stated is what I said in my post,.... we will see.
    Read it and try to understand my post about next phase for what I said in it without interpreting failure or success, as I didn't state either, only that it would be a big feat, just as it was an incredible feat what was accompanied.

Nuff Said

4. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

???
    Jeez, you don't you think that falls into what my original post says??
    You took a tiny context of my post and quoted it.
    I mention in my original post "we will see" and "it was an incredible feat" (especially with so many movies/saturation) " it will not be easy to repeat" .
    I did not say it can or cannot be done, tho you somehow chose to take a side about something I didn't even say ??? Seriously it's like you understood and misunderstood me, when we are all on the same page about the topic and it's future.
    Uh yeah they have the stories, I don't think needed to mention that or suggest any they should or shouldn't do.
    I possibly miss judged something or someone would misunderstand what I was saying about such an incredible and successful dozen years of movies that leaves giant shoes to fill is yet to be seen, all the while never pointing a direction it will go, and that I am a fan too.

Again
    Nuff Said

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Curveboy likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I agree with pretty much all of this. EG was mired in the sadness and ramifications of the blip (1st act) for too long. I would have minimized that and expanded the time travel (2nd act) and the final battle (3rd act). I think it actually could have worked better as a whole post blip phase of multiple marvel films better. An Antman and Ironman cross over film could have been about Antman coming back because of the rat and coming to terms with his daughter's aging five years, then going to Tony to figure out the whole time travel solution as Tony is enjoying his life and coming to terms with the fact that he has to change everything back. A Hawkeye and Black Widow crossover film could Have examined Hawkeye's descent into the darker vigilante realm more thoroughly and Black Widow's reaching out to try and help her friend deal with his new life in a healthier way. A follow up film with Thor an Hulk could have been full of comedy and Banner's choice to fuse his two halves together on screen and dealt with the scared reticent Hulk that we say in IW. Then all of these films could have taken us into the End Game of the Time Travel blip fixing finally that would have truly earned the spectacle that it was.

6. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

No shade being cast here, I totally agree and know of their stories and it would seem like not a problem to make incredible movies, though it's the choices of what stories to use and what not.
    The IP is valuable and vast no doubts about that, decisions on what, what not, who, who not in every part of the films from story, casting, directors, etc... those will be crucial in what makes the difference in good or bad, or an all time classic product on the screen.

The IP and all that comes with it alone has it's draw, decisions will be more difficult for any stand alone movie let alone a decade long and plus stretch to have success.
    What we just had was rare, as it is much more difficult to make good decisions/choices than bad ones. I would definitely like to see some new, good and quality films hit the screen.

Cheers

7. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

That is a great idea. Maybe that's at the core of the issues I have with the movie, it feels like multiple movies stuffed together. If spread out you could give the characters more time to develop instead of having instant change for Hulk or Thor becoming a fat suit joke throughout the movie.

Dr. Pepper likes this.