Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Splatt was awesome on Moon Knight...didn't follow him after that.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

For what it's worth Feige has recently acknowledged that both Spider-Man and Daredevil need to be "street level" heroes moving forward. I assume that means the next Marvel phase.

The ending of No Way Home seems to confirm they're moving in that direction.

Spidey just gets included in everything, including space-trotting adventures as in the comics, because he's Marvel's most popular hero.

Curveboy, Simon A and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

It's how they work best.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He's done some good work I think. At least he knows basic theory unlike Liefeld.

I think Splatt has maybe left comics now? Can't remember the last thing he did.

Looking at IMDB he seems to be working in the film industry doing storyboards for films of all things. Odd career path as I'm sure he could get comic work, lots of worse artists than him getting regular books.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Waitaminute! Namor, the Sub-Mariner, has a moustache now!? I guess Marvel wants their own Aquaman!

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

8. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

There were two different events called "Secret wars" the original is what is referred to here, and more recently in the 2010s that involved the Main Marvel universe and the Ultimate Marvel universe literally colliding together. in its wake there was a soft reboot that allowed Miles Morales to be folded into the main universe and other tweaks to Marvel's history.

My guess, given Fiege has dubbed this and the next phase "The Multiverse saga", this Secret Wars will be based more on the more recent one, with perhaps some elements of the original folded in.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Huge Marvel update yesterday out of Disney's D23.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/10/disney-reveals-marvel-cinematic-universe-updates-at-d23-expo.html

• Disney unveiled footage for “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” “Ironheart,” “Secret Invasion,” “Werewolf by Night” and more during the D23 Expo.
    • Matt Shakman, the director of “WandaVision,” will officially direct the MCU’s “Fantastic Four” feature film.

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’
    Ryan Coogler, the director of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” brought footage from the film, which is due out in theaters Nov. 11. The clips showed Queen Ramonda chastising the United Nations for trying to steal vibranium from Wakanda following the death of T’Challa.

The footage showcased the power of the Dora Milaje and set the stage for an epic fight against Namor and the Atlanteans.

“Excited for you to walk out of the cinema and feel proud of what we brought to you,” said Letitia Wright, who portrays Shuri in the film.

‘Ironheart’
    Audiences got a quick glimpse at Riri Williams in the “Wakanda Forever” footage, but Marvel also shared a peek at the “Ironheart” Disney+ series, which is still in production. The clips showed Riri building bits of the Ironheart armor and Feige teased that the show will focus on the cross section of magic and technology.

‘Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania’
    Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly and Johnathan Majors appeared on stage to discuss the upcoming “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” the first film in phase 5 of the MCU.

“This thing is bananas,” Rudd said.

“This is going to be unlike anything you’ve seen from us and not to mention that guy,” he said, pointing to Majors, who portrays Kang. “Throws this whole thing into such new territory.”

Footage shows the Lang, Van Dyne and Pym families being pulled into the quantum realm and faced with a terrible new foe: Kang the Conqueror.

‘Werewolf by Night’
    Gael Garcia Bernal and Laura Donnelly star in “Werewolf by Night,” special Marvel Studios presentation coming to Disney+ in October.

The film, which is shot entirely black and white, harkens back to “The Twilight Zone” and old monster movies of the ’30s and ’40s. Early footage shown at D23 Expo suggests the film follows a group of monster hunters seeking out a monster among them.

‘Secret Invasion’
    “Secret Invasion” follows a faction of shapeshifting aliens known as Skrulls who have infiltrated all aspects of life on Earth. The Skrulls first appeared in 2018′s “Captain Marvel,” which was set in the ’90s.

Don Cheadle arrived to share footage from the upcoming Disney+ series filled with political intrigue and action. He also teased “Armor Wars,” a show that will begin shooting next year.

‘Loki’ and ‘Fantastic Four’
    Feige brought on the cast of “Loki’ to showcase a teaser trailer from the second season, which promises even more mischief.

He announced Matt Shakman, the director of “WandaVision,” will officially direct the MCU’s “Fantastic Four” feature film.

‘Echo’
    “Echo,” a new Disney+ show that centers on a deaf female heroine, takes place after “Hawkeye” and features heavy use of American Sign Language.

Footage from the series shows the return of Vincent D’Onofrio as King Pin. Alaqua Cox reprises her role as the title character.

‘Daredevil: Born Again’
    D’Onofrio, who had been on stage to promote “Echo,” was joined by Charlie Cox to share footage of Matthew Murdock aka Daredevil in “She-Hulk.′ No footage was shown from the show, as it has not begun filming. D’Onofrio will appear in the series.

‘Captain America: New World Order’
    Anthony Mackie returns as Captain America in “Captain America: New World Order.” He was joined on stage by Danny Ramiez, who plays Joaquin Torres, Carl Lumbly as Isaiah Bradley and Tim Blacke Nelson as Samuel Sterns, aka the Leader.

‘Thunderbolts’
    Feige announced the team that will be part of “Thunderbolts.” This includes Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Valentina Allegra de Fontaine, David Harbour as Red Guardian, Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost, Olga Kurylenko as Task Master, Wyatt Russel as John Walker aka U.S. Agent, Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova and Sebastian Stan as the Winter Soldier.

“It tells you all you need to know about the Thunderbolts when the beloved Winter Soldier is the most table among them,” Feige teased.

‘The Marvels’
    Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonah Parris closed out the panel with footage from the upcoming film. Miss Marvel, Captain Monica Rambeau and Captain Marvel find their powers have become intertwined and the three heroes must become untangled. In the mean time, the three continue to accidentally swap places, leading to quite a few laughs.

The footage shown at the D23 Expo was action-packed and filled with comedic beats. Also, everyone’s favorite Flerkin, Goose, will be back for more antics.

10. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

How many will like or dislike my opinion on a new Daredevil show/series?
    In my opinion I don't think what Netflix produced with 2 seasons couldn't possibly even keep par with what they made, and if any chance to and including adding to what was such an incredible show in every aspect would take the creative team (and not restricted in their idea/s where they would have continued or pursued) as well as returning actors to make a quality show.
    This is my opinion, and to me is in the tops of Marvel banner productions and they didn't need huge budget or effects to to this.
    If any feel they can or will improve Matt Murdoch/Daredevil, that would be great and can only hope, and no need to speculate something that doesn't exist at this point in time wouldn't be productive, tho one can say they think so that is fine just don't expect arguing inn points why not.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So I had a special offer on Disney+ so caught up.

Eternals - very low expectations but it was ok. Maybe too much talking and probably one watch will do but decent cast who gave their best, some warm and understated comedy. Third act premise a bit daft, I think the planet would be finish long before we saw a hand, but most of these films have that. Better than I expected, 6.5/10.

Multiverse of Madness - was looking forward to this, bit disappointing. I liked the set-up and the first half but then it just seemed to get a bit silly. The illuminati scene made no sense at all and also the events at the end. Nice imagery though. 6/10

Love and Thunder - love the source material, it made sense when the director said he'd never read it. Jokes were poor, watchable I guess. The more it went on nothing made sense. All logic seemed to be thrown out the window and one rule they set up in one scene is immediately contradicted in the next. The poorest of the bunch. 4.5/10

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Morbius...

I went in with high hopes but it was way worse than I was expecting. Tired old plot; They literally just did this in Amazing Spider-Man 2. The dialog...the dialog...oh man, just awful. Note for all future movies and TV shows; we don't need a scene where someone accidentally cuts themselves causing the vampire to react.

The highlights were the two Jared's (Harris and Leto) but Matt Smith has the charisma of a rotting peach. The best part were the special effects...really top notch.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yep! My favourite. She was nekkid in The Predator. Method actor :righton:

14. alexpop

I like him. Good luck with the shield.

Curveboy and wayneklein like this.
  15. alexpop

Leto so effective as The Joker.. talent wasted doing Morbius.

Curveboy and wayneklein like this.
  16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nobody should waste their time on Secret Invasion. It was total garbage, even worse than Moon Knight.

17. alexpop

I’m a silver age marvel fan as well. Fantastic Four movie wise hasn’t delivered so far. Ironically the early 2000‘s cast was fine Chris Evans etc .. cept the technology cgi wasn’t that great.

Purple Jim likes this.
  18. alexpop

Like his Dad, Robert Downey jr/ Iron Man.:)

19. alexpop

Loki- FF I’m interested only if it’s a film.

20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Moon Knighr was great. Secret Invasion was entertaining

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I didn't hate Secret Invasion, it was just ok. People act like the show came to their house and beat their dog.

marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yup. Definitely suffered both from "this got hacked up in the edit" and "Marvel kicking the can further down the road" issues that Marvel's no stranger to, but what we got with Fury in particular was great.

23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Moon Knight was passable until the awful season finale. Secret Invasion introduced to many new characters and insisted that we care for them, and featured the origin story of the MCU’s most powerful superhero we never needed. Maybe if the episodes were as long and as flesh out as Falcon and the Winter Soldier it would have stood a chance. The ONLY reason to watch it is for Jackson.

24. Morbius was moribund and was such a mediocre movie. Amazing considering the money spent and talent involved.

25. I agree. I enjoyed the earlier episodes but the series didn’t deliver at the conclusion for me. Still, it was better than some other Marvel shows.