Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marmalade166, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If the broadest possible worldwide audience has no idea about the characters that means there's absolutely nothing stopping Marvel or DC from bringing the real version of their characters to the big screen because the broadest possible worldwide audience doesn't know any different! They would only know what's presented to them, so why not present the real thing?!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The Eternals had its red carpet premier in Los Angeles, plus press screenings in other cities.

The early reactions (non-spoiler) seem to point to this movie as being very different than the other MCU movies, and use adjectives like dense, epic and rich. It sounds like this is a very different experience than other "MCU formula," and more of an auteur film with a strong imprint by its director (Chloé Zhao). I am also seeing more than a few viewers who are warm, but not raving this is the best thing since sliced bread, saying "There's a lot to unpack" or "I need to sleep on this movie". Hmmm.

Also questionable how much this movie actually contributes to the overall MCU storyline that builds with each movie, or if the Eternals mostly sits separately on its own.

The review embargo lifts on Sunday, so we should see a bunch of full reviews come out then.

So in the US, we are getting No Time To Die, then Dune, then the Eternals, all of which were partially shot for IMAX. Good time for seeing movies at the IMAX!

Shawn, Chris DeVoe and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen the trailer in the cinema yesterday waiting for venom Carnage ( crap ). The Eternals trailer looked so so. Guess I’ll wait for reviews.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Marvel executive producer Kevin Feige has done an exceptional job of managing this series of films, and the core of that has been hiring great, creative directors and letting them make films that will stand on their own.
    I think films are really being made differently these days with the understanding that people will see them multiple times.
    I'm not the fangirl my wife is, but my understanding is that this is the first in a whole new series of films, and the foundation for everything is going to be coming for the next several years.
    We're going to be driving past three other theaters to get to the best IMAX in the Kansas City area, AMC's BarryWoods 24.

A moment of silence please for the now departed Navy Pier IMAX, one of the few genuine IMAX theaters. If we still lived in Chicago, and it were still open, that is definitely where we would see Eternals.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It certainly looks that way. We seem to be back in the 2008-2012 era; individual films that may come to a head in a single team up flick.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Critics are meh....63%

Eternals

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I guess the new formula MCU isn't as good as the old formula MCU.

Have a Coke and a smile.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Coke ?
    Disney = Cola Light

Drew likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I was surprised by audience reaction to the Star Wars sequels... When I heard that George Lucas sold the property to Disney I knew exactly what to expect.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You folks are aware that Disney purchased Marvel in 2009?

The full story of Disney's quest to acquire all the Marvel superheroes
    What was the first Marvel movie released under Disney? - Quora

So everything since at least the first Avengers film has been "new formula MCU" by that logic.

Shawn and 905 like this.
  11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm looking forward to that book. I love Evanier's blog, I read it every day. Tell him I said "hi." :D

As for this movie, I'm sure I'll get around to seeing it eventually, but nothin' in the trailer is making me want to line up outside the theater on opening day....

except maybe Salma Hayek... (sigh)....

12. alexpop

JediJones likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd say Marvel's run was as good as Pixar's. ...
    Hey, you can't knock a good run...

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

When the headlines the past couple of weeks have focused on "Marvel's first movie sex scene", and "Marvel's first gay superhero", the director sharing why it's progressive and "beautiful" to be including such sex scene; an actor writing "looks like we're upsetting the right people" in relation to criticisms of modifying a character to be gay, you know the messaging on selling The Eternals is askew.

The point of me highlighting this stuff is not to debate the "should they or shouldn't they" elements of those couple of things, neither am I expressing my personal views on those topics in relation to Marvel MCU movies, but rather pointing out that people at large don't know who the heck "The Eternals" are in the first place. The trailers haven't been great, now the reviews are rolling in that are pretty middling, and the headlines are focused on the "sex stuff." On the face of these things the vibe getting out there is that on multiple fronts it "doesn't feel like an MCU movie."

When I first saw that shot in the first trailer with the Eternals assembled on the beach in their hero costumes my first thought was "are you kidding me?" It looked like one of those cheap CW DC television shows but okay, maybe's there's more to this movie. The follow-up trailers just felt like forced chemistry, with a very weak looking CGI bad guy. The reviews seem to be highlighting that most of the characters aren't really developed enough.

Doesn't bode well for a financially successful installment that will be well remembered, but I guess we will see.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

Bring back Tony Stark... and the old crew.

Thor:Love and Thunder is out 2022...the sooner the better I say.

16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Iron Man was never my favourite character in these movies and certainly his arc came to a good conclusion in End Game.

Looking at the slate of upcoming films the two I'm looking forward to the most are the Doctor Strange sequel, and Guardians 3. Next to those would be the Thor movie.

17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think there's a good chance the MCU keeps floundering until they get to rebooting the X-Men. Widow and Shang-Chi are 2 of their 4 lowest-grossing movies, and now it looks like Eternals may be in the same boat.

The next Spider-Man and Dr. Strange are apparently all about this multiverse stuff. Most of the excitement around the next Spider-Man seems to be around the old Spidey movies' characters, not the MCU characters. It'll be a big hit, but how does that help the MCU going forward? How that movie is received will likely affect how well Dr. Strange's multiverse adventure does.

Then we have Natalie Portman apparently becoming a female Thor, and the new Black Panther has to somehow replace T'Challa, with whom, I don't know. Captain Marvel 2 adds two "diverse" female partners to turn her movie into a team movie, I guess. Are these going to be exciting stories or, like Eternals and Shang-Chi, are they going to be marketed primarily on the demographics of the characters?

Guardians 3 will likely be their hugest hit after the next Spider-Man. Gunn's style is well-known and well-liked to people now. Then we have Ant-Man 3, the MCU's lowest-performing franchise, which will probably stay that way.

After that, all I see is a rumored Fantastic 4. The rumors forever on that one is that the characters will be modified for "diversity" purposes. Likely, since director Jon Watts did the same thing on Spider-Man, other then editing the two senior citizens out of the storyline to give us younger people. Josh Trank's F4 tried a diversity change, and it didn't help the film. Any changes to the iconic look of the F4 will likely be very divisive.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Iron Man was never my Silver Age Marvel comic favourite. Was surprised how good Iron Man films were, least the first IM film. Also, very effective in The Avengers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Shawn likes this.
  19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

By the 1990s, Iron Man had become one of Marvel's poorest-selling classic characters still being published. One of the reasons no studio was rushing to secure the rights to make an Iron Man movie. Captain America wasn't selling too great then either. Also the reason they had to go with a known star to play Iron Man. The confidence in the character itself wasn't there. And it did pay off, as the movie was a bigger hit than Captain America, which went with a lesser known star. Captain America is still one of the bottom two lowest-grossing MCU movies. And Cap's sequels leaned heavily into crossing him over with other characters to bolster him up, while Iron Man got to fly more or less solo for his two sequels.

alexpop likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's a bunch of PC GARBAGE!
    The MAJOR PROBLEM is they didn't do JACK KIRBY'S ETERNALS! Marvel let the director make the GARBAGE she wanted to make and not the COSMIC EPIC KIRBY gave them?!

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Modern world, bah!

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw the trailer right before DUNE.

Not sure what is different than this and an X-Men movie.

23. alexpop

Prefer an X-Men movie.

JediJones likes this.
  24. alexpop

The Eternals.
    Anybody going to see it this friday?

Aside. What’s the genesis of The Eternals.

MCU related that is?

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Eternals (comics) - Wikipedia

The Eternals are a fictional race of humanoids appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. They are described as an offshoot of the evolutionary process that created sentient life on Earth. The original instigators of this process, the alien Celestials, intended the Eternals to be the defenders of Earth, which leads to the inevitability of war against their destructive counterparts, the Deviants. The Eternals were created by Jack Kirby, and made their first appearance in The Eternals #1 (July 1976).[1]

The Eternals will debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with their own feature film Eternals, which is directed by Chloé Zhao, and scheduled to release on November 5, 2021

lots more information in the wiki link

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.