Marvel Studios’ Eternals

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marmalade166, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

As a 1980s-90s Marvel Comics fan, turning the Skrulls into good guys was not AT ALL what I wanted to see. They are great and classic as villains. I love body-snatching, paranoia-oriented, Red Scare-style villains. Then of course the Super Skrull is one of the ultimate F4 baddies. It took away all the fun to see the Skrulls neutered like that. Ben Mendelsohn's performance also felt completely muffled and muted under his rubbery Skrull face. And turning him into one of all too many comic relief characters in that movie made him as irritating as the fake Mandarin was in Iron Man 3. The Skrulls were one of the biggest disappointments in that interminable movie.

Shawn likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen it first performance, big screen.
    Bloke behind ( with girlfriend) me, walking in said “ I hope it’s good” “ it got bad reviews “.
    I laughed.

Later…
    No! Not good ..bloody awful, conclusion.
    Nothing could redeem the film, it was all over place. Walked out near the end( that’s the second time with a MCU movie this month.
    Richard Madden looked good, new Bond.. I liked the Indian Eternal funny guy, there’s was maybe a half decent 10 minutes in the 2hr 20 minutes movie, and it was long.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The Rotten Tomatoes critics score for this movie keeps going down. I can't tell from the reviews I've seen if the problem is with the quality of the movie itself, or that it's a good movie in and of itself, but such a departure from the MCU "formula" that it's outside what you want and expect to get from an MCU movie. But movies don't fall into just two buckets, good and bad: many movies have some combo of good things and bad things, and the overall impression is where those things net out.

It's like when you go see a director's new movie, and it's a total departure from their old style. Sometimes that falls totally flat, and the movie is just bad or bland: like Guy Ritchie's Swept Away (rom-com with Madonna), or the Coen Brothers's Intolerable Cruelty, or Wes Craven's Music of the Heart (a warm and cozy Hallmark type movie, he made in-between two Scream movies). On the other hand, some director's deviations have been great movies, if not what you want or expect to get from them: like David Lynch's A Straight Story (most WTF thing about it was that it was PG and Disney produced), or Woody Allen's Match Point.

I do go see many MCU movies in theaters when they come out. But with covid, I'm a little more choosy about what I go out to the theaters for these days. Not sure what I will do about Eternals.

The low critics' score also, I think, calls into question people who've been arguing that with earlier MCU movies, critics are grade-inflating MCU movies because they want to support movies that push diversity, or because Disney is buying their praise with lavish royal carpet party invitations. Seems like this movie is farther over the line on the diversity scorecard than all other MCU movies, yet it's looking to become the lowest rated MCU movie.

4. alexpop

i spent $25 bucks ..
    Popcorn / drink / ticket ..

ready to be entertained.. lol.

5. alexpop

Oh yeah the best thing was the use of Pink Floyd -Dark Side Of The Moon track… PF /they must be bummed it was used on a crappy MCU film. Led Zep was a blast of Ragnarok.

Drew likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I never liked the comics for the Eternals. Jack Kirby was in the autumn of his career and I didn't care for his later work. Kirby liked playing with the gods. He started with Thor, Odin, and Asgard. He brought in Hercules and Zeus during this run. Than he went over to DC and created (what else?) The New God's. I always thought when he went back to Marvel that he created the Eternals as a continuation of the New God's. For this fan of Kirby, it seemed like he was just rehashing the same old ideas. I wasn't interested in the books OR this movie. I read the movies numbers are bad, considering it's a Marvel flick. Comparing it to the Black Widow and Thor the Dark World. Haven't seen the Widow, Any good?

Ghostworld, JPagan and alexpop like this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film and it's fantastic. Loved the scenes showing the Eternals during various periods of human history: Mesopotamia, Babylon, Tenochtitlan, Hiroshima... enjoyed the references to Batman, Superman, Peter Pan and Star Wars as well.

The story itself includes quite a few moral dilemmas. Nothing is as it seems on the surface, making you think about the concept of right/wrong, good/evil regarding the characters' actions.

The post-credits scene is intriguing, but the mid-credits scene has a surprising connection to today's music world.

8. alexpop

Putting it into some perspective.
    Black Widow?
    6/10

Eternals?
    3/10

Thor : Ragnarok?

10/10

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Former movie stars from the crypt cast as superheroes is almost always a recipe for disaster.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I was planning to see this today, but looking at the reviews I may try to convince my kid our time would be better spent elsewhere. While the past civilization angle intrigues me, the grey area theme will probably annoy me. Marvel is at its absolute worst when it tries to equivocate on good and evil, and Eternals seems like nothing but a sloppy exercise in that, based on everything I've read.

11. alexpop

Half way through one of the eternals mentions The Avengers have lost two members, died. Richard Madden / character said … they need me.., lol, FAT chance. :shake:

12. alexpop

go and see it it’ll be a couple months before the media version is available

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Box Office: ‘Eternals’ Struggles to Marvel Audiences – The Hollywood Reporter

Chloé Zhao’s Eternals may have trouble reaching $70 million in its domestic box office debut after earning a mediocre B CinemaScore from moviegoers.

That’s the lowest audience grade of any of the 26 titles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe; the previous lowest was the first Thor (B+). The rest have earned a variation of an A CinemaScore.

Plenty of fanboys turned out on opening day to see Eternals thanks to Marvel’s loyal following but the film is looking front-loaded. Eternals grossed an estimated $30.7 million on Friday, including $9.5 million in Thursday previews.

Box office analysts are projecting a weekend debut in the $67 million to $69 million range as a result of tepid exit scores.

Eternals is faring better overseas, where it has grossed $38.4 million in its first three days for a global total of $69.1 million.

Heading into the weekend, Disney and Marvel Studios were hopeful that Eternals could hit $75 million in its North American opening and essentially match the three-day debut of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings despite tepid reviews.

At the end of this summer, Shang-Chi opened to a dazzling $94.7 million domestically over the four-day Labor Day weekend, including $75.4 million for the three days. The other 2021 MCU title — Black Widow — posted a three-day debut of $80.4 million even though it was also available in the home via Disney+ Premier Access.

Similar to the CinemaScore grade, Eternals presently has the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score — 49 percent — of any MCU offering.

14. alexpop

Breaking news!!!

Eternals ( via Variety)

BOX office $65.1 million > soaring over opening weekend

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

IMHO Feige/Disney picked the wrong person to direct this one.

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've never read more than one of the original Eternals comics of the '70s but just knowing later appearances of the Kirby characters I'm still 'afraid' to see this one because I've seen negative reviews from fans of Jack Kirby. They always have to change things and if it's something big it can genuinely destroy things. An ideal standard for me would be To Kill A Mockingbird where they left a few passages out to tighten things up as a movie, but were otherwise very true to the original work. Should old comic books be shown no such respect? We're in an era of why can't Frosty the snowman be a _____ , _____, and a _____ too. So seeing a black Nick Fury or young white woman as the old Chinese 'Ancient One' is a 50/50 risk generally (like Fury although a hand-me-down in a long line of many, but couldn't buy the new Ancient One). They took Phoenix from the X-Men and made one of the best comic characters of the late '70s and early '80s into a shallow bore visually and storywise, but then with Iron Man and Black Panther they hit wonderful home runs!

Not going into a theater for it, but later I hope, after checking a few more reviews.

17. alexpop

It’s a visual monstrosity.

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Simply OK to me. It was surprisingly dry and talky for a Marvel movie. At the end of the credits it says “Eternals will return”. Lol. Yeah, maybe as backup characters in the next Avengers movie where this plot wraps up. But another standalone? I’ve always had doubts about the quality of this property being adequately adapted for the big screen, the same ones that I had when they announced Inhumans. The problem is that the characters are too regal and stuffy for audiences to like and relate to. Having a few of them changed to be comic relief helps, but not enough.

19. alexpop

Sex scenes were squeamish.. lol. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Lol. I hadn’t read any of this thread until I had a chance to see it, so I didn’t know the kerfuffle over the sex scene. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Actually, I take that back about there not being a sequel. They will probably save it by making it major crossover event with at least 3 other more popular MCU characters, likely the Guardians.

Anyways, I give it thumbs up for introducing Black Knight to the MCU, thumbs down for doing the same with date rapey Starfox (what the hell are they thinking?!)

22. alexpop

Was it really necessary.. lol. :D

23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Yes. Yes it was. I’d even accept a little more skin, please. :D

24. alexpop

Didn’t mind the From Here To Eternity homage … but. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My kid convinced me to see it today. On the walk to the theater I'm thinking, "maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised." But I hated everything about this film. It wasn't like the first captain America that just bored me or recent Black Widow that I thought was just ok. I actually hated each of the characters. The messaging and symbolism was obnoxiously bad. I even found the CGI annoying. I like it in the previous MCU films because it had a quality of reading on gravity and age. CGI objects seemed to have weight and there was a cool hacked vibe to a lot of the effects. Like how Rocket had to fix his gear frequently or how the Valkyrie in Thor Ragnorok had to mash her hand controls together to get them to work. Eternals had none of that. Much of it was very ornate, golden and pristine, and made me want to vomit. The emotions were all so contrived and trying so hard to be human at the same time the characters were revealed to be anything but human. The humor was cringeworthy. I don't think I enjoyed any of the director's decisions. Also, the appearance of Kit Harrington who played Jon Snow in GoT and the actor who played Robb Stark along with them saying the main character's name, which sounds exactly like Cercei from GOT annoyed me. Was it supposed to be cute? It couldn't have been a random accident.

My kid enjoyed it, but liked the evil creatures more than the Eternals.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.