Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - DETROIT MIX

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon millar

Simon millar Member

Very quick question, am I the only one who experiences some problems with the sound on the Detroit mix, some crackling on a couple of the tracks; effects both deluxe CD and same iTunes download. (I have vinyl copies but never played to compare).

So question is whether both CD and vinyl are the same? I am happy that Motown may have left as per the master tape (if effected) but would welcome a repaired master?

Mal likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Where are you hearing the noises?

Grant likes this.
  3. Simon millar

Simon millar Member

On "what's happening brother" between 1:50 and 2:00, and on "save the children" at about 2:56 and 3:35 for example. I am sure there are others...

As I said it seems to effect all digital copies, I downloaded from iTunes to compare my digital rip from CD.

It's like that DAC cannot cope with the complexity of the music!

Mal likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, even on computer speakers I can hear what you mean. Unfortunately, I only have the CD, so I can't check the vinyl for you.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll check that later if I remember to. I happen to have 2 CD versions on CD, and the vinyl version.

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

The 'static' on "God Is Love" is mentioned in the booklet and there are indeed other moments of distortion on the Detroit mix.

I wonder if these technical issues are what prompted the remix - after all, the original mix is perfect in all other respects!

7. Simon millar

Simon millar Member

Yes I do wonder whether the static or distortion on the mix are part of the reason it was remixed in LA, I guess we won't know for sure. Of course this could be a result of how the master tapes have been stored in the interim period and the actually mix was fine in 1970?

I am just a bit disappointed that given the importance of the Detroit mix that there seems little mention of the quality issues (aside from the note above re God Is Love) or to what degree they tried to repair when producing a new master (which I assume they did for the deluxe issue). Be interested to hear the 4Lp release as hopefully they put more effort into the quality of the 1/2 speed remaster... ?

8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Simon millar likes this.
  9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

LOVE this mix! I am working up a very sparse but effective acoustic version of "Inner City Blues" The entire album is beyond a treasure.

Grant, agundy, beewood and 1 other person like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is plenty of talk on tapes that have leaked, check out any number of Beatles threads here. Not forbidden to talk of them at all.
    It's not disallowed at all. Only the talk of where to acquire tapes is not allowed. Grant is incorrect about what is acceptable chatter in the SH Forums.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  11. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

It was remixed in LA in order to include Marvin's additional keyboard parts. I don't think I mentioned that Steve Smith came to us from Stax.

12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.